Search:

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

Just recently I paid a visit to Peter Coombe in Bega on a shorty round trip in SE Australia. I came across his fourth generation flat top mandolin he showed me. I compared it with all of his other...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Peter Coombe A oval

Pat

I looked into the A5 in Italy. It is one of the earlier instruments based on the Gilchrist model 3 that Peter bought from Steve Gilchrist. The only issue is that I am not keen about...
  3. Replies
    Views

I like what both you and Jim Garber have to say about this topic.

Yes I am aware that the classical flat top is up to the 3rd generation using a guitar style fan bracing.

I like what you to say...
  4. Replies
    Views

Not a problem Eric. I first saw Peter's mandolins at the National Folk Festival back in about 1998. I tried them out and was somewhat impressed back then. Then having had a Black A4 and an A2Z,...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Recommendation for a Jazz Mandolin

I find my mt2-O plays jazz nicely. It has a nice rounded sound using Thinastic strings.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Any experience with Gatti mandolins?

I can vouch for Massimo. He is an honest hardworking guy who knows his mandolins. I have never seen or heard one of his creations. I would like to as I have friends back in Australia who are...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Halsey's last F-5

Where's a picture of his violin you have?
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin world vs fiddle world

Well I use learning both ear and notation in fiddle and mandolin playing. One of the useful things in reading and hearing at the same time is one gets the feel of what the book is saying through...
  9. Replies
    Views

Pretty comparable in my opinion. I have bought two for less than $300 USD. Set up was excellent. Playability is great. Tone is not quite up there with a $600 USD mandolin. Looks and finish...
  10. Replies
    Views

Doug

Thanks for bringing up this thread. I happen to have bought a Chinese made shop violin for about $300 USD including Freight. It is a distressed beautiful looking instrument. Just lately I...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Where to start with Jazz Mandolin?

Love the video. It must have been fun doing it.
  12. Re: Best Oval Hole A Mandolins for Orchestra Playing?

Try an Eastman 404 bk. It has a wonderful tone.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman Truss Rod Question

George

I own two Eastmans and I have adjusted the truss rod to straighten the neck. Both truss rods worked. So the question is how old is your Eastman? If it is something fairly common Then why...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman 404Bk Mandolin review

I am glad you have appreciated my musings on mandolin family instruments. I have enjoyed writing about my experiences living here in the Alpuharras in Spain and before that in Galicia. I too have...
  15. Replies
    Views

Steve,

I left off the last two frets and filled the slots with ebony dust and superglue. So in a way I have scooped the extension. I would do the same if I made an A2 mandolin like it. I am...
  16. Replies
    Views

Try this one

Listen to Eastman 404 test - Tripping up stairs and Southern Comfort by Nicholas Gellie on SoundCloud
  17. Replies
    Views

Here is a recording of the Eastman 404. Actually there are two there.

http://Listen to Eastman 404 test - Tripping up stairs and Southern Comfort by Nicholas Gellie on #SoundCloud...
  18. Replies
    Views

Yes it is - you know blacktop instruments are sought after in some circles. Anyway it mimics the Gibson A model colour.

Here it is with new frets on.

19. Replies
    Views

The MD404 has skinny frets. I used to prefer wider frets. The height is pretty much the same on both narrow and medium mandolin frets in most mandolin fretwire. the MD 505 has slightly wider...
  20. Replies
    Views

Here are some pictures of the headstock and tuners back and front. The tuners work fine better than the Collings MT anyway.

The neck profile is a cross between a U and a V - a...
  21. Replies
    Views

I said I would show a picture of the string slots on the new bridge. I have not radiused it. I will leave that for later. it is fine for now. I will bring the E course in a little bit to match...
  22. Replies
    Views

It is pretty mint Rob. it does have some fine player scratches on the top imperceptible from afar.

I am posting this review because I think the Eastman404Bk is a gem given what I paid for it and...
  23. Replies
    Views

Eastman 404Bk Mandolin review

I just received yesterday a used Eastman 404 Bk mandolin from Germany yesterday.

Here it is as shown in the pictures

Front:

Back:
  24. Re: Eastman MD 305 unbox - thanks all, I'm a satisfied customer.

I am amazed As to how the Eastman 305 is keeping people sane during these Covid times. I take my hats off to the luthiers in the Eastman factory who are making such quality instruments for so little...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Old vs Old vs Old/New Quandary

I agree with all the previous sentiments. Keep that A and try the Eastmans out. I have an Eastman 505 after trying and having much more expensive mandolins. I have been pretty impressed. It took...
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4