Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

2. Replies
    Views

Re: Finger plane designs - prototypes etc.

Nearly ready to call it finished:

3. Replies
    Views

Ha! That's a damn fine box, you should put some strings on it.
  4. Replies
    Views

Here's the finished handle, seems to feel good. Boxwood with a little blackwood dot because. The length is adjustable, the ferrule is threaded.

5. Replies
    Views

Interesting that the blade is levered up against a cap rather than pushed onto a frog, I'm surprised it doesn't want to chatter. Are the Veritas palm planes arranged this way, anyone who has one?
  6. Replies
    Views

Thanks for all the great responses, I can't tell you how helpful that is. Loads of great ideas here, I'll get some photos of ergonomic mock ups and the next prototype up ASAP. What a fantastic site!
  7. Replies
    Views

Finger plane designs - prototypes etc.

Hello all, I'm working up some designs for finger planes as part of my degree - I'd love to get some feedback on what I've got so far. A few things I'm trying to work in:

- Some kind of palm...
  8. Thread: Munden #3

by alfie
    Replies
    Views

Re: Munden #3

Thanks guys, I'll post a video in short while when it's settled down. I'm in England, it's a pseudoplatanus not a platanus, which I know as plane. Phew!
  9. Thread: Munden #3

by alfie
    Replies
    Views

Munden #3

If my lecturers ask, I've been 'studying'...

It's sycamore and Swiss spruce, with a blackwood fingerboard and bridge. Inlays are boxwood or walnut. It's a similar two-point design to my #2 but a...
  10. Replies
    Views

Getting #3 finished up. The fretboard is boxwood and blackwood.

The tailpiece has a buckle built into it, which seems to work quite well. It can't scratch finish from there!

11. Replies
    Views

Re: Bargin prices for chisels and gouges?

Something that upsets me about bad tools is how very similar they are to good tools. A cheap pair of wire cutters that are junk as soon as they see some fence wire use about the same amount of steel...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Is there such a thing as a traveller mandolin?

I make these, they're not bad little camping toys. Sound better than you might think, and don't need a case so fit the bill. You can even put your socks inside if you slip the bridge off! Tuned GDAE....
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Munden #2, two point.

First mandolin! #1 was a flat-top 'dola. Thanks guys, I'm real pleased with how it turned out.

14. Replies
    Views

Re: Munden #2, two point.

I finally got round to sitting down with a decent mic and noodling on this for a moment! Sorry that took so long. The instrument has really opened up, I'm really pleased with how it sounds. The gain...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Olive oil on a "speed neck" ??

I'm sure it's fine, it would probably still take a bit of linseed on top if you wanted a proper drying oil to finish it. The olive oil will probably go a bit rank and grey if you don't.
  16. Replies
    Views

Munden #2, two point.

Not being sharing as many process pictures here as I would have liked, I've ended up being much busier than I planned. The tailpiece and bridge will be changed out for some one-off items which will...
  17. Replies
    Views

I am, I'm in cornwall. Here's an update on both. The mahogany is just incredible in the light, I couldn't help wiping a bit of shellac over it to have a look. The new plane is boxwood, it's much...
  18. Replies
    Views

My first carved top, a two point in red cedar. It's a lovely piece of wood, it's so hard I would guess it was douglas if if I had a peg over my nose!
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Dipping my toe in the water

Phew! A change of country and a serious tidy of a workshop later, I am finally making some shavings. Picked up some ok red cedar at the local lumber yard for not too much money, I'm treating myself...
  20. Replies
    Views

sustainable (uk) tonewood thesis

Just found this while reading about the subject, haven't read the lot yet but there's some fascinating info. Always surprised that guitar companies and luthiery suppliers seem to pay so little...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Full Contact Bridge VS Arched Bridge

In that situation I would guess the material you take of the bridge removing the middle would have more effect on tone than the change in contact area, I've really noticed the difference mass makes...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Selmer style mandola

Finally, the sun came out! Strung it up with thomastiks, what else is a student loan for? lost a bit of volume high up in the last octave but they're lovely everywhere else. Chuffed.

But: who can...
  23. Replies
    Views

I'll take some nice pictures when it's filled and finished!
  24. Replies
    Views

Strung! Really pleased with the sound, a bit more overtone-y and folksy than I intended but really loud (the laptop mic doesn't do it justice, of course) and not too muddy. Tuner flashes green all...
  25. Re: Is it worth it to sand of factory lacquer to improve sound?

I stripped the nasty thick poly off my cheapish Ashbury f and replaced it with a wipe of shellac. I won a really noticeable (undeniable) increase in volume and sustain, but lost two or three days of...
Page 1 of 2 1 2