Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

North of the Border

It’s the 30th anniversary of John Reischman’s first solo album, North of the Border. A little Cazadero, anyone?
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Fix a finish scratch with a walnut

I buy raw nuts, not packaged, no salt.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Fix a finish scratch with a walnut

Re: vermin. Shhh! Don't give them any ideas. But so far, I've never had any vermin chaw on my mandos.
  4. Replies
    Views

Fix a finish scratch with a walnut

I've used this many times to cover up surface-level finish scratches on both varnished and lacquered finishes. It works best on varnish. Break a walnut to expose the flesh. Rub it quickly over the...
  5. Replies
    Views

Stan Miller Brazilian rosewoods

Brazilian rosewoods made by Stan Miller.
    Mandolin #48 (Sept. 5, 2009)
    Mandola #50 (Feb. 9, 2010)
    Fronts
    Backs
  6. Replies
    Views

R.I.P. Dennis Caplinger

Lost a good one yesterday. I've never met a nicer man. Hosted him and John Moore on a Canadian tour.

From John's FB page:

I lost a big piece of myself this morning. I've been trying to gather...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Describe your MAS progression

Tradition A oval (Korean, $40) => Kentucky F => Heiden F => Heiden F => Red Diamond F => Gilchrist A => Miller F (rosewood).
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: The master’s hands

9. Replies
    Views

The master’s hands

A few months back, an elite player jammed on my mando for an entire evening. Ever since, the mando has never sounded so good. He played it harder than I normally do. I believe he “woke it up.” I...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Social Distancing

11. Replies
    Views

Canada jam suite at Wintergrass

The Western Canada Bluegrass Association is hosting a hospitality/jam suite at Wintergrass. Stop by Room 351 to say hello and jam. We play everything in the Key of 'Eh' :)
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Considerations -- Add to my List

Friend of mine is considering selling a very nice Muth F5 for about $4K through the Cafe. Canadian maker with a long wait list. I played it the other night. They are really good value.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Brazilian rosewood for mandolins?

I have a Stan Miller with Brazilian rosewood back, sides and neck, with CITES certificate. A fine instrument that compares well to my previous Heidens, Gilchrist and Red Diamond. 177998177999178000
  14. Replies
    Views

I need one of these

Theorbo, anyone?

https://youtu.be/eVabz8LneI4
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Stan Miller mandolins

I am now the very happy owner of this fine mandolin.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Left Forearm Pain

I bought a Theraband flexbar and within three days I was almost back to normal. Within a week I was pain free. I now use it only occasionally if I get a flare-up. I used a blue Theraband (they also...
  17. Thread: Mucho mandos

by bobrem
    Replies
    Views

Mucho mandos

A mandolin jam, and then this happened...
    L to R: Miller F rosewood, Red Diamond Reischman signature model, Miller mandola, Gilchrist Model 3 (1997), 1924 Gibson A4 snakehead.

18. Replies
    Views

Hearing yourself in a loud jam

Hands down the best personal monitor available. Great for loud jam sessions. Not recommended for vocalists.

19. Replies
    Views

Re: Left Forearm Pain

Thanks to MandoMN18 for starting this thread. I have also been diagnosed with tennis elbow. Playing the mando hurts like hell, as well as guitar. Fiddle not so bad. I may try the Theraband flexbars....
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: The rules according to Bill Monroe

I once interviewed Bill for a radio show about 1982 and asked him what he thought about "newgrass" players.
    "A lot of 'em put a lot of notes in there that really don't belong," he said. "Try to...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Monroe items we'd actually buy

Bill's funny pants:
    http://www.bluegrasswest.com/ideas/bang/bang11.htm
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuning to Flatt and Scruggs

"Some musicians have absolute pitch recall, usually based upon the tuning of the instrument, often a home piano, with which they grew up." - Dr. Lynn Cavanagh, music professor, University of Regina
  23. Replies
    Views

Tuning to Flatt and Scruggs

I was speaking with Jerry Douglas a short time back for a magazine article on the Earls of Leicester and we somehow got on the subject of tuning and pitch. It was too technical for a general audience...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Would this be better than a Blue Chip?

We don't have Bluetooth in Canada, living as we do in igloos and such. We prefer the Canadian loonie or, better yet, the more attractive toonie.

25. Replies
    Views

Jeff Scroggins Halloween tribute

So, at rehearsal the other night, we decided to dress up as Jeff Scroggins and Colorado. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3