Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Adding D rings to case

212492. Maurice Baquet....
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Wurlitzer Mandolins? Mystery Maker

I had noticed the code looked similar but I did not click through them both. This is the $900 example which has a Kay bridge which adds to its value somewhat:
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Questions about "Automatic" Tuners

I got a Roadie 3 for Christmas and am not impressed.
    #1. You have to hold it firmly otherwise it just tries to turn in your hand.
    #2. If you are not careful that the tuning peg is not firmly...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Caliper precision vs. what's on the box

Yes you are missing something. The amount of diameter reduction is minuscule. It would be the fifth decimal place inches for a 0.010 E string at 25 lbs tension. It is not measurable with a normal...
  5. Re: British guy here – how should I spend $10,000?

Yes, true. Colin is building his mandolins. I plan to list my Sobell soon, but shipping to UK from Canada is outrageous now.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Doug Clark mandolins

Thanks for the information so far! To answer some previous questions:
    ~ While the mandolin balanced nicely on the stool, I would never leave it like that unattended, fear not!
    ~ I purchased it from...
  7. Re: A Question for Thomastic Infeld Aficionados

Ray--I switched to them about a year ago and haven't looked back. They last forever, and are easy on the fingers. To answer your question: The strings in the 154 medium set are 10-15-21-33.
  8. Re: Mandolin description written by a jeweler

Generally they have a big wood screw through the heel trying to get the neck tight with the body again. I obviously can't tell without looking at it in person but I would make the assumption it was...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson A-1 - How to guess the age?

Spann gives that as an A from 1913.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Upgrading a tailpiece

I have a friend who is designing covers to protect those case covers from the elements. Should be a big seller. :)
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Ebay: 4 Very Old UNIQUE MANDOLINS

Im familiar with that saying as well, Ray :) had an online business for nearly a decade with a partner in Slovakia and numerous customers in the UK and Europe … picked up a lot of the lingo and had...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: ToneGard and DPA clip interaction

This is how I use my DPA 4099 with a ToneGard. The bottom part off the clip sits inside that little gap in the ToneGard:

13. Replies
    Views

Re: Can anyone identify these tuners?

They are cut for worm under.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Instrument insurance in the UK

She is a member of the union and she's going to look into offer. I figure I'd look into any other companies out there.

New Lanark - I love it here!. My wife is from the area and we always visited...
  15. Re: Old Gibson mandolin - what is it and value?

Actually there are four mandolins from Factory Order Number 11883 listed in the Mandolin Archive. Only one has images. We do know that mandolins were sometimes not finished and shipped until later...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Where to find these strings?

I have yet to put them on the Clark yet. The sizes were not available on the website, so I emailed what sizes I needed, and Neil said that he could make them. I give a report once I get them on!
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Collings @ Auction (UK)

For posterity

18. Re: A long-stored, unplayed mandolin--what to expect?

I know my instrument changed, and others commented, they heard it too. They weren't playing to get used to the instrument, they were listening. I don't play any different on any of my mandolins, but...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Wishnevsky Octave Mandolin on Ebay

If you'd like to read some past discussions on these instruments they are here.
  20. Thread: Weber?

by Ryan Fish
    Replies
    Views

Re: Weber?

I'm getting ready to bind this mandolin today.

21. Replies
    Views

Re: What happened to Holoubek Mandolins?

I know this is an older thread, but if anybody can still see this, I recently purchased #108 from a gentleman on Reverb. It is a very fine mandolin. I came across this thread when trying to do some...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: D-Addario Monels

I do remember when the PB strings started coming out, and they got my attention because they were so much brighter. I found that the brightness didn't last all that long, so I quit using them as I...
  23. Thread: What if

by Kenny
    Replies
    Views

Re: What if

You can do that and call it what you will! A fnorten, perhaps? Make sure the string tension is reasonable and be prepared to try different gauges to find what works for your hands and music. Check...
  24. Re: Strad-O-Lin mandolins - which, when, how good?

I think that was the first SOL I ever saw probably in the late 1970s at the New England Folk festival. Russ was jamming with some folks in a courtyard playing that thing and I marveled at the tone.
  25. Re: Looking for vintage tuners for British Made banjolin

@RayT
    Im somewhat attached to this instrument now, because i replaced the nut and the skin already but ive seen the same instrument complete with case and resonator at a decent price. Im looking...
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4