Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Not all Collings hold their value

When the world somehow forgot about buying instruments for tone and making music and non muscians started thinking of them as investments, your soul and quality of life took the biggest...
  2. Replies
    Views

Walmart Mandolins on Clearance!

Apparently you can play them left handed and fingerpick behind the bridge! $29.95175679
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Fat fingers/wide nuts?

I was able to turn an Eastman MD604 from unplayable to playable for classical music, meaning I can avoid muting adjacent strings most of the time simply by cutting a new nut, see it here:
  4. A little not bluegrass by a master bluegrasser

Danny is one mandolin instrumentalist who is not confined to one style of music. His "Sorta Annual Concert" last year was spectacular.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=14&v=UD0ojWtX-YE
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: How often to change strings

I change my strings when intonation of the wound strings starts getting iffy. Any change in quality of the sound is so gradual that I can't go by that, and really the strings look pretty good and...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: How often to change strings

There's a lot of variables- how often you play, the oils of your hands, what strings you're using, what mandolin you're using, what sound you're looking for, etc. Some people like the jangly sound of...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Practice regimen for a new player

About sausages and needles...

A few years ago I had a great conversation with an Oud playing friend of mine about sound.

I described something I did with djembes that he applied to the Oud....
  8. Replies
    Views

Play along with some videos of fiddle tunes on youtube occasionally, which is good practice and fun. There is a slow down option on the settings on youtube (a little gear icon on the lower right of...
  9. Replies
    Views

Practice the tunes you want to play with that effortlessness as slowly and deliberately as necessary. Get feedback from an expert.
  10. Replies
    Views

Add some notation reading and ear training, not much a few minutes if each a few days a week is good.
  11. Replies
    Views

Congratulations on having some structure in practice. I wouldn’t change much yet but would add that focusing on technique, like keeping your fingers on the fretboard until you need to move them is...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: The inferior mandolin

Oh, how my heart breaks for unfortunate souls like this - the poor guy has to play a lowly Weber as his 'practice' mandolin . . . we better take up a collection to help the guy out!

;)