1. Replies
    Views

Re: Stromberg voicinet

2. Replies
    Views

Re: Absolute Favorite Mandolin

My favorite built by me. Ol Timer Mandolin118824118825
  3. Re: Curious about bridge height, break angle and string gauge

Why would you want to spend hundreds to have a neck reset when you could spend 9.00 for a new pair of strings & get the same results
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Case

It's on it's way here are a couple pics but it's hard to see the curl in the maple. It has a 3/16th mohogany strip around top & bottom, I'm going to have to stain it so the curl can be seen . It is...
  5. Replies
    Views

Mandolin Case

I'm Building A Stromberg type mandolin For myself & wanting to build my own case. Has there ever been a thread on building a mandolin case. I'm going to build it out of curly maple that has a...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Spar varnish

Since this thread was started I have started using Tru Oil & I think I will probably stick with it,Just way to easy to use
  7. Thread: wire Inlay

by Les Corley
    Replies
    Views

Re: wire Inlay

Thanks for the link Sunburst, I envy those that have CNC machines but I think that would take the fun & the challenge out of it.I'm going to try it with my dremel but I'm sure It's going to take some...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Ol Timer Mandolin

Jim I have never heard a L&H Iv'e only seen pictures. The bracing is x Scale length 13 7/8 Has a fret board extension Not trying to duplicate the tone at all. Just trying to build a beautiful...
  9. Replies
    Views

Ol Timer Mandolin

Here is my latest creation. Carpathian spruce, quilted maple sides & back with black walnut wedges, black walnut head stock overlay with bl/w wood purfling,compound radiused fret board, Orrico solid...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Singin' the Oil Varnish Blues

I had the same experience a few years back on a wood strip canoe that I was finishing & kept getting the sand in it . It isn't sand It's the batch of varnish that is to old & is what is called...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: New creation

This is what I'm doing with the peghead, bookmatched black walnut overlay with w/b purfling & pearl inlay
  12. Replies
    Views

Theriser block & extension was my choise
  13. Replies
    Views

Hank the back plate combo is for tone, quilted maple has a tendancy to be a little bright & I'm hoping the black walnut will help bring it down a little
  14. Replies
    Views

New creation

I'm building a new mandolin based on the Lyon & Healy. The top is carpathian spruce, the back is black walnut & quilted maple,neck hard rock maple. Short neck 10th fret