Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Tab vs. Dots

by tonyw
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tab vs. Dots

Music theory isn't a set of rules you follow to make music, it's a description of the music, and a language for describing music. The theory comes from the music, not the other way round.
  2. Thread: Tab vs. Dots

by Ranald
    Replies
    Views

No, but there are plenty of situations in which people attempt to learn music without spending more than minimal time listening. I've heard many people who thought they'd learned, say, Cape Breton or...
  3. Thread: Tab vs. Dots

by tiltman
    Replies
    Views

I appreciate the AI-dude's take on using the word "always" and the examples he gave.

Just wondering - is there a situation where listening would not be recommended when playing music?

Kirk
  4. Thread: Tab vs. Dots

by Ky Slim
    Replies
    Views

Wait, I thought Simon's enitre profile was AI generated.... :redface:
  5. Replies
    Views

Wait, you're having AI write your forum posts? :disbelief:

Couldn't that be construed as taking a turn toward the dark side? :whistling:
  6. Re: Best practices for starting to attend an Irish session

My guess is that it has been mentioned before in previous threads, but I would highly recommend reading Field Guide to the Irish Session, by Barry Foy. It is gently funny and filled with spot-on...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Recent Finish Problem

I've solved similar "blisters" under finish by pricking a tiny hole (or couple depending on area) with tip of very sharp scalpel and application of drop of diluted shellac (1 pound cut or thinner)...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: The Pentatonic Mandolin by Niles Hokkanen

Absolutely! "Bluegrass up the Neck" and "The Pentatonic Mandolin" are two of the best instruction book/CD's available!
  9. Replies
    Views

Goblin Folk 4: Walkin' Lute

This is the fourth song of my Goblin Folk project, where I use electric & acoustic mandolin family instruments to create music that feral woodland humanoids would enjoy. It's a take on Andante Lute,...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Newbee Introduction

Buddha, I think that you’ve made a wise and courageous decision to start learning mandolin at 75. I do think that it helps with attention, and manual and mental acuity. I started at 77 after a twenty...
  11. Replies
    Views

For me, playing from notation, whether staff notation or tablature, IS ear-playing, in that you can't play the written notes properly until you recognize them in your mind as a sequence of musical...
  12. Thread: Tab vs. Dots

by Ranald
    Replies
    Views

I'm no expert, but I've used the three methods (notation, tablature, and ear learning) and found that each has advantages. You're not dealing with an"either/or" situation.

Notation: When you can...
  13. Thread: RIP Dickey Betts

by CarlM
    Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Dickey Betts

This song was my introduction to the Allman Brothers. Here is a version with Dickey front and center.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmetEMv7SfQ
  14. Replies
    Views

If by "dots" you mean standard notation, then I'm in a similar place with the mandolin. I find the notation to be easier to sight read and to gain a broader understanding of the piece of music. The...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Which capo(s) do you use?

When I had my Levoi OM and with the cittern I'm playing now, I've always just used guitar model Shubb capos, straight or radiused as appropriate. They can be a little wider than really needed on a...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin misunderstanding by young folk

This seems like an ad in the wrong section of the forum.
  17. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

That's a very interesting comment about Art, given that everything that's made is a form of human expression. The hierarchy of 'utility' versus 'ART' seems challenged by better machines. And many...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Gender

You mean 'le fil'?
  19. Re: Best practices for starting to attend an Irish session

I attend the session in question on a regular basis. It's a great, welcoming session. Please do not speculate about the character of the session. I have contacted the OP privately, and I'm happy...
  20. Re: Best practices for starting to attend an Irish session

Amanda -

Did you attend the Montpelier Rabble Rouser session? I'm a regular there, although I did not attend yesterday. Happy to fill you in on the scene. You'll be fine. You just need to...
  21. Replies
    Views

In most languages it is feminine.

In Spanish it's feminine - la mandolina
    In French it's feminine - la mandoline
    in German it's feminine - die mandoline
    in Dutch it's feminine
    In Russian it's...
  22. Replies
    Views

nope, nope, nope....

no genders or names, please!

(well, I guess Jeff Mando is OK...:cool:)
  23. Replies
    Views

Agree with all other points made here. Interesting. My first thought was that its just like boats. A quick Google search says, "By referring to boats as 'she', sailors expressed their reliance on...
  24. Replies
    Views

Two things about this have always seemed fairly evident. First is that men frequently express affection for, dote on, and even caress objects that they possess such as instruments and vehicles, and...
  25. Re: How would I play this? (Would I play this as written?)

I have that book, "The Scottish Violinist" which is in fact a book of selected JSS compositions from several of his collections, and some of his variations on tunes like "East Neuk of Fife".
    It's a...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4