Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Tune a ukulele like a mandolin

The uke family instruments tuned in fifths can work quite nicely, especially for baroque music. Here are a couple links for ideas and inspiration:
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Bourgeois Mandolins!

Also in the Eastman/Bourgeois booth is the new upgrade to the Eastman octave mandolin series—MDO-605. Didn't play it, hear it, or even see its flamed maple back, but it looks pretty nice. Has a...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Calton Cases - in pictures

I’d been talking off and on with Calton for almost two years about the mando case re-design, and asking when it would be available in textured bronze glitter. I pinged them again in October when I...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Strap Button Washer

This particular size isn't real common, doubtful the big box stores would have them. I got them from a seller on eBay. Just search "7/8 OD X 3/8 ID X 1/16 thick" and you'll find them. Re the Fender...
  5. Replies
    Views

Strap Button Washer

Grolsch-style rubber washers are great for holding leather straps to a guitar strap button, but they're too big in every dimension (especially thickness) to fit well on a mandolin strap button....
  6. Re: Ellis Deluxe Mandolin #110 - scam sales on eBay and elsewhere

That mandolin—same pics and description—was listed on eBay back in February 2020. I kept screenshots of the auction.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Calton Cases - in pictures

Looks great, thanks! They finally nailed it!
  8. Replies
    Views

Uplifting instrument Recovery Story

And a very happy ending:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2020-07-22/the-mystery-of-a-stolen-rare-cello-has-a-surprise-ending
  9. Re: Left Hand Form When Playing Ukelele Tuned in Fifths.

I've experimented recently with CGDA tuning on uke and have had better luck with a concert instrument than tenor. Not only does the concert sound better—more resonant due to less string tension—it...
  10. Re: Complete Bach 1st Cello Suite - ukulele in 5ths tuning

Yes, thank you!
  11. Re: Complete Bach 1st Cello Suite - ukulele in 5ths tuning

Assuming you're playing a tenor uke there, strung with a low G set of strings? That's what I'm working with, but only able to get mine down to C-G-D-A (which is cool because same as cello) but...
  12. Re: Complete Bach 1st Cello Suite - ukulele in 5ths tuning

Bravo, what a great idea! Sounds wonderful. Gonna pull out a uke and give it a try!
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Are All Lloyd Loars Dropping In Price?

Isn't it also possible that the accumulated last 10 years of high-end mandolin building has put downward pressure on Loar prices since their height? To name just one of a handful of builders, almost...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning to read music for Mandolin

I found Debra Chen's "Standard Notation for the Tab-Addicted Mandolinist" to have many practical solutions for reading on mandolin (even if you aren't addicted to Tab).
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Che Apalache

I'd heard OF these guys, but last night I actually HEARD them at a friend's house concert here in Los Angeles. I was blown away on so many levels. They're in town because of their Best Folk Album...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: A Willing Vessel

Mr. Vessel seems to be killin' these days. This beautiful ivory A-3 styled octave mandolin is equally impressive (friendly 20" scale too!):

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/149510#149510
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Loar’s Loar!

I played that Loar for a minute when I took Siminoff’s F5 building class in the summer of 2015. I'd never played one before, so I didn’t have a sufficient base of experience to judge it among other...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Hilary Hahn: Hearing her live

I saw her perform the same piece at a Prairie Home Companion performance a couple years ago in Pasadena, CA, not long after Chris Thile took over hosting, and it was absolutely breathtaking....
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: New Kelley A model violin style

So pleased to see another fine builder working in this style! As to bracing, my understanding and experience is that (all else equal) tonebars will provide a more focused and projective sound, while...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Waterloo Mandolin Released

When I saw the announcement I thought about the original vs. Waterloo question too, but imagined the Collings-built instrument would smoke the original in terms of build quality, sound, and...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin missing 46 years

A quick look at Spann reveals the only FON with "4091" in it to be in the 1940-1945 range, and it's a 1941 F-5, but with a "G" prefix, not "Y". In the Serial Number chapter, however, Spann shows...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Campanella Due

PS - if you search back to 2008 you can find Joe Cleary's original post from when he finished that one and was about to take it to a show or festival!
  23. Re: Article: Weber Mandolins Winter NAMM Yellowstone Celebration

Woo hoo! Guess I can never say "I never win anything" again!

Now let's see, F14...that's like 9 better than F5, right?!?

Many thanks, Scott, and to Mandolin Cafe and Weber Mandolins!

Totally...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman Octave

I ended up selling the Eastman octave in favor of a boutique build. Great instrument, though! Had I kept it I likely would've gone with the Rubners. I don't recall the source but was able to confirm...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman Octave

Here's a couple:
Page 1 of 2 1 2