Search:

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Raffaele Calace, "Minuetto, Op. 103" for solo mandola in G

Raffaele Calace wrote extensively for the mandola in G (a.k.a. octave mandolin) in his ensemble works, but left no solo pieces (as far as is known) for the instrument. However, some of his solo...
  2. Replies
    Views

Music, Always New :-)

Dear mandolinist friends around the world,

what a year this has been! Looking back at the time that has elapsed since last spring, it may at first seem interminable. To put this ordeal in some...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Tipping a Luthier

for the OP, i say do what you feel in your heart.

life is short. any time, especially in this current day we live in, if there's an opportunity to help someone, to make someone have a happy...
  4. Re: How to use more right wrist and minimal right arm?

My belief after a LOT of years teaching is you will get what you want RELAXED if you just practice slowly in front of the mirror. Any kind of device would probably make you strain against it,...
  5. Replies
    Views

History of Mandolin Orchestras

Found this "blog" the other day with some great info and photos. Including some playing as well.:mandosmiley:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql7istQ68z4&t=3914s
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Refinishing a German Bowlback mandolin

Nice result Bill. It's a beautiful instrument. (And thanks for reminding me about Plektra.)
  7. Replies
    Views

That is good news, Bill. I am glad it was relatively simple solution. Enjoy your mandolin—Play on, my friend!
  8. Replies
    Views

Just one generalnote about FP shellac or spirit varnishes....
    The way how you apply the finish determines the final look. French polish is traditionally applied just with a pad and repeatedsessions...
  9. Replies
    Views

I think I agree with those that say leave it as is. The finish just might be too new and those swirls might disappear after a month of playing. I wonder if part of the issue is that people don’t see...
  10. Replies
    Views

I wouldn't hurry with that. Spirit varnishes inclusding FP do dry quickly to touch and use at the beginning but the final curing may take few weeks or more and during that phase the finish shrinks...
  11. Replies
    Views

Agree with the folks above, especially if you like the way it sounds and plays. Refinishing will open a can of worms... er... of female lac bugs. :)
  12. Replies
    Views

Looks good to me too! Leave it as is.
  13. Replies
    Views

I wonder too... What's the problem? The work on the mandolin appers nice and clean. There are some pores visible in the wood but that is normal (even with other finish types) and many makers don't...
  14. Replies
    Views

What's wrong with the finish? It looks beautiful to me.

The nice thing about shellac is that it's so easy to repair/redo. It can be completely removed with alcohol, you can polish on top of it,...
  15. Thread: Le Cygne

by Eugene
    Replies
    Views

Le Cygne

Wedding request. I'd prefer this piece be performed in duo (or, as originally written, as a trio). However, in being contracted as a soloist this outing, this seemed a more convincing approach to...
  16. Thread: No motivation

by DavidKOS
    Replies
    Views

Re: No motivation

Time to learn some solo mandolin music. :)
  17. Replies
    Views

New Doff Bowlback mandolin from Russia

FYI. Doff guitars just released their bowlback mandolin in Russia and offer it for US$300.00 inclusive of delivery anywhere in the world (NFI). They have a workshop in St. Petersburg and do make...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Can you teach musicality?

Well, you can't make a person more naturally musically talented than they are.

BUT

You can help a person learn the craft of being a musician, and often that includes being a good example of...
  19. Replies
    Views

Minneapolis March

From Minnesota Mandolin Orchestra https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iiSixDXuj40&feature=youtu.be
  20. Carlo Aonzo's The Migrating Mandolin - I Viaggi del Mandolino

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h4qxK12leo
  21. Re: Please help! Newbie looking for bowlback to learn on!

Our friend, David, does a pretty good job of explaining it in this thread. Have a look at the second post in the thread where he discusses the side view of the 1898 Vinaccia bowlback.

The first...
  22. Re: Please help! Newbie looking for bowlback to learn on!

Mick, David, et al. have already rendered excellent advice. Here's a cut and paste from a post I made elsewhere that might be of some use:
  23. Replies
    Views

Bach D Major Prelude from Suite #6

This prelude was intended for a 5-string cello. I use the viola arrangement by Milton Katims and play it on my Buchanan 10-string.

https://soundcloud.com/twtunes/bach-d-major-cello-suite-prelude
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Iwamoto F5 mandolin #118 in progress

I will not comment on the message in the video -- regardless of its importance. I will say, however, I think Home is correct. I don't think this is the right forum. I am on MC daily because of its...
  25. Replies
    Views

Mandocello Envy

It's no secret that I've had the malady, however I also knew that a true mandocello was out of the range of my physical capabilities. I've also had the desire to play fingerstyle for some time,...
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4