Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Gender

Agree with all other points made here. Interesting. My first thought was that its just like boats. A quick Google search says, "By referring to boats as 'she', sailors expressed their reliance on...
  2. Thread: Mandolin Gender

by pops1
    Replies
    Views

I don't feel my mandolins have a gender, they are mandolins and I call them by name, the Brentrup, the Unicorn, the Gibson, etc.
  3. Replies
    Views

Mine's an it. It's little, and its a Gibson Junior A, so its named Junior.
  4. Replies
    Views

Two things about this have always seemed fairly evident. First is that men frequently express affection for, dote on, and even caress objects that they possess such as instruments and vehicles, and...
  5. Replies
    Views

This subject has been discussed previously, a lot, with many variations of theory, analysis, and anecdotes, but no definitive conclusion. A search for and perusal of these threads will impart to you...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield Strings?

Hi there. Just happened across this post. To be clear, we do not wind our own strings. We work with progressional outfits that make strings as their specialty. We offer our preferred strings sets on...
  7. Amazing live Mandolin Orange/Watchhouse recording

I spent some time in the Archive.org rabbit hole listening to some live recordings and found this Gem from Prescott Park in 2016. The source is from the soundboard and the sound quality and playing...
  8. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

That's a pretty bleak outlook. Especially the part about Taylor's plums.
  9. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

10. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

I understand the concern but to attempt to block or deny a tool / technology is a 2 edged sword.
    I suppose people may have said the same thing about the electronic synthesizer, (or even the wax...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: More Gibson Antics

Thanks Doc, for bringing this thread back on topic. The first thing that should have been pointed out is that Gibson has a trademark on the Les Paul body and what they call the "ES" body (the...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Neck shape/feel: "V" vs rounded

My F-9 came to me with its original V-profile. My left thumb ached every time I played it, and for hours after. I put up with it for a few years, then I got my MK mandolin which has a C-profile, and...
  13. Re: Mike Compton demonstrates his 2008 Duff F-5 mandolin

I agree completely. All types of music for different likes and dislikes. Mike is one of the best at his style of playing. I appreciate his playing even though I prefer crystal clear notes, chords,...
  14. Re: Mike Compton demonstrates his 2008 Duff F-5 mandolin

Mandolin sounds real good. But, I'm only a few years into mandolin playing, and maybe I'm missing something, so I might be crucified for this... but the playing sounds really sloppy and and inexact,...
  15. Replies
    Views

I own mandolins with both C and V profiles and don't have much of a preference. To me, action is the #1, 2 and 3 most important factors in playability.
  16. Replies
    Views

If Mandolin Cafe were ever to offer t-shirts for sale V-Neck should certainly be an option.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: James tailpiece engraving

Those are some BEAUTIFUL tailpieces! It's a shame he's not taking orders at the moment but thank you anyways!
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: I miss the Classified Guitar posts....

We're OK with this being discussed, not OK with multiple instances of false/wrong information reposted for others to digest. Wherever this "key individuals" caused all this came from, I assure you,...
  19. Replies
    Views

Much depends on where you put your thumb during playing. Folks who hold the thumb on the very lowest point of neck (like classical guitar players) usually prefer flattish rounded profiles (depending...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: James tailpiece engraving

I had a gentleman name Bob Rosser engrave just the brand name and he was very quick and affordable. It came out great....his info is on his website: hand-engravers.com

Weldon Lister does some...
  21. Replies
    Views

I too miss the guitar classifieds, maybe it could only be by individuals and not dealers.
  22. Replies
    Views

Are you joking?!
    Here are just a few of the animals you may encounter if you go outside! :(

23. Replies
    Views

Think of the time you save not drooling over guitars you’re not going to buy…
    Take a stroll outside in the sunshine, smell the flowers, greet small woodland creatures…

: )

Kirk
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Low, Low Frets on SOL

If it sounds great and plays great, why change anything?
  25. Replies
    Views

The Dawg's loose again!

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/content/1019-New-Music-from-Acoustic-Disc-Dawgnilo-Danilo-Brito-and-David-Grisman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WElqaeMP09o
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4