Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Meet Marc Orleans - Brooklyn based busking mandolin player

When travel throws a wrench at your plans, make the most of it.

Last night was my last full night in Queens/Manhattan doing some business with Dan Beimborn and making visits to Retrofret but...
  2. Replies
    Views

Calton Casers - Austin, Texas

Upon suggestion of guys on another forum I lurk on it was suggested to post this on the Mandolin Cafe.
    I guess to let you know who I am and why we have this information could be important.

I am...
  3. Re: The next time you are asked to play for free....

While an unusually clever response...above.

I cannot say how much this hits home.

I am a lawyer, not a working musician. My BG band have made it a rule, since we are not pros,
    NEVER to play...
  4. Re: Post here if you've had a POSITIVE custom build experience

2 thumbs up for Kimble and Dudenbostel.........nicest guys you will ever meet and two of the most meticulous builders in the game today.
  5. Thread: My Loar

by Glassweb
    Replies
    Views

Re: My Loar

i knew it was coming, but it's crazy to think that people are now referring to the mandolin brand known as "The Loar" as Loar mandolins. i have no doubt there are players out there now who own "The...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Loar at Greg Boyd's.

I was watching this one too. Sound clips and videos were added just today. I like how they say it was in a collection for 30 or 40 or 50 years. That's quite the range. Here's the ear candy. And what...
  7. Replies
    Views

Dummies Audio Tracks

First, I would like to thank the mandolin community for making "Mandolin For Dummies" a success. It is currently the #3 mandolin book on Amazon and rising. Many people have contacted me regarding the...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: "New" July 9 Loar out of the woodwork

Yes, that one was documented by Elderly in July 2009. I agree that it looks like a very nice one.

I'm with Tom, it's very hard to take one person's review of any musical instrument without a grain...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Did the American Songbook Kill Jazz?

Jazz is dead?

Again?

Jazz was dead in the 70s, killed by rock music, corpse run over by disco, roadkill ground into the tarmac by punk.

But they forgot to tell Stephane Grappelli, who...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Curious about Monteleone Grand Artist mandolins

Jim Garber...Here is the 2-Point you talked about. I submit this post without opinion on the original question. Remember Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder, and to me this concert with Byron...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis F5 Differences

To clear up some questions, there are 2 models Deluxe and Special
    The Deluxe has red maple 1 pc back, sides, and neck and B/W purfling on top, back, and peghead.
    The Special has sugar maple 1 pc...