Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Long-term (1-2 years) storage of a mandolin

For storage, just make sure that the relative humidity stays in a reasonable range; ideally, 40% to 50%, but practically, a wider range will be OK, especially on the higher end. Too dry is the worst....
  2. Re: Unicorn sighting (Halsey F-5 on youtube)?

Am I the only one who clicked on this thread expecting to see a mandolin built by Rolfe Gerhardt?
  3. Re: Separation of Neck From Body… What a Bummer

Time to move on.
    If you can get a refund, great, but that would be a challenging repair for someone with little experience and not really worth your time. A pro could fix it, but as you say, the...
  4. Re: Has Anyone Used or Tried the StewMac Fretbar Understring Leve

Easiest thing to do is just replace it with something like...

- - - Updated - - -

deleted
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Elevated fretboard no longer elevated

From my observations of similar mandolins, I think Gibson had some tops on hand from before the elevated fingerboard days. It looks like they cut top wood away until they could use an elevated 'board...
  6. Re: Gibson side bulging - looking for repair suggestions

No, too much risk of finish damage, and also not needed. Sometimes they have to be left in the torture rack until they respond, but usually they just push back reasonably well into place. With my...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Just because I haven't posted anything here for a while, here's one of the things I'm working on.
    The mahogany that this neck blank is made from is not wide enough for a peghead. This guitar is to...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: More Gibson Antics

Gibson's trademarks are not really the "issue" with lots of people, it is the companies' heavy handed tactics related to such.
    C F Martin has trademarks too. The "rectangular" peghead being one of...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Instaalling frets on a new build

With guitar builds I fret after gluing the board to the neck and setting the neck in the body, with mandolins I fret the 'board before gluing to the neck/extender.
    I can't really give you a reason...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Lutherie as an art form

While I think of my instrument making as being only slightly "art", there are those who tell me I'm an artist and consider my work to be art. Not an uncommon situation for someone who does this sort...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Lutherie as an art form

I read a book quite a few years ago. I wasn't overly impressed with the book (and much less with another in the series that i gave up on), but it made me think of art, what art is, what art is not,...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Newbee with Tuner Question

Loosening the gear screw creates added clearance at the tuner plates and makes turning easier, but it also causes lost screws and gears. Loosening the gear screws is a "quick and dirty" way to...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Used gouges... (or new)?

I have a gouge or two with missing ferrules and since I don't drive them hard with a mallet they're fine.
    If the handle with remove easily and you can find copper or brass the right size, you could...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Effect of bridge breakover angle.

That is correct, as long as the string is the same material and diameter.
    Experiments have been done regarding after-length (distance from bridge to tailpiece) and break-over angle, and as far as I...
  15. Replies
    Views

Some are in better shape than others due to past use and abuse. I don't need museum pieces for cutting wood.
  16. Replies
    Views

These came from various sources, flea markets mostly, and are of various brands.
  17. Replies
    Views

Here are the "old" gouges that I use regularly. I have a few others that I use that are newer, and I have some more old ones that I don't use, but these are the 'antiques' that I find most useful. I...
  18. Replies
    Views

Almost all of my gouges are old with the exception of 2 custom made ones (one of them is good, the other doesn't live up to it's supposed quality) and some small carvers gouges that I bought new...
  19. Thread: Weak chop

by sunburst
    Replies
    Views

Re: Weak chop

The top and back may not be coupling well. If, as you say, the top is thin, then the back may be too thick to work well with the top. You might be able to thin the back (requiring, of course,...
  20. Re: What are the chances that a moderately-priced mandolin sounds

A++?
    To me, I've heard maybe 5 or 10 mandolins that I would grade as A++, and none of them were moderately priced factory instruments (although some are rather old factory instruments that were...
  21. Re: 'Fast Car' Grammy Guitar - connection to Michael Heiden

Just clicked on this thread...
    Although I haven't seen her in some years, I consider Judy Threet a friend. She is an excellent builder with a deep understanding of guitars and how they work.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Favorite part of instrument building?

I like selecting and milling wood and the early, fast part of building. I also like hearing the instrument played for the first time. All the stuff in between is work, mostly enjoyable to one degree...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: RH vs wood moisture content.

It's actually a sling psychrometer, and it is considered the gold standard for measuring relative humidity.
    Another devise that is considered to be very accurate, and that we can make at home, is a...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Help cleating top crack

When I want to use hide glue with Teeter clamps I do 2 things:

1. warm the work to increase open time and working time
    2. pull up on the clamp to hold the cleat in place while cranking the...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: RH vs wood moisture content.

Even though wood is usually kiln dried to 6% moisture I feel that tonewood does not need to be that dry, and in fact that dryness in difficult to maintain. I try to keep my shop between 40% and 50%...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4