Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Bluegrass/Newgrass/Jamgrass Festivals

That is an excellent lineup, and the caverns look super-cool! That would make an amazing family trip to visit Nashville and hit that festival!!!
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Bluegrass/Newgrass/Jamgrass Festivals

This place looks amazing. Looks like they have regularly scheduled underground concerts in addition to the festival, and the ticket prices aren't super crazy. Looks like I have a new addition to my...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Getting Back To It

I saw some Eastman and Kentucky mandolins and maybe a couple other names I did not recognize. MAYBE a dozen or so mandolins, but that’s a guess on my part. They also carry a selection of acoustic...
  4. Replies
    Views

Slide Mandolin

Here's some playing around with slide mandolin. This is some of what is being explored in this week's mandolin blues lick of the day series.

https://youtu.be/wqYpXV2q6wo
  5. Re: Stolen Mandolin - Pava A5 in Lafayette, LA

GREAT NEWS! Silas' mandolin has been recovered in Lafayette. It is now there with friends and Silas will have it back very soon. Thank you so much for your help everyone!
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Sighting of Our Fearless Leader!

The problem with that photo is that no matter how hard I try, I can't hear anything. :whistling:
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluegrass Jam…just kidding.

If you want to see some really fierce arguments start riling up the barbecue police :disbelief: On the old Flatpick-L list there were some serious arguments about barbecue that involved bitter...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

Just received Sampler #2 in the mail today! I’ve got my work cut out for me to try them all. I’m glad I got the Charmed life picks early. Looks like Lucy is next on the list for this pack. I’ll...
  9. Re: What Happened to Dominick Leslie in Golden Highway?

Just saw Molly Tuttle and Golden Highway AND Hawktail at Freshgrass. Dominick Leslie was playing with each band.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Pentatonic phrases

This is great advice. You can probably think of a bunch of tunes you can sing that use only or almost only the c-d-e-g-a scale formula. Try playing them.

Another fun thing to try is: sit down...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: seeking modern bluegrass suggestions

Great suggestions already mentioned, several I would have named. I'll add:
    - Infamous Stringdusters
    - AJ Lee and Blue Summit
    - Mile Twelve
    - Downtown Mountain Boys
    - Also another recommendation...
  12. Leo Lindblom's brand new Silverangel mandolin - by Ken Ratcliff

As many of you know, there was a post on the cafe recently that Ken Ratcliff was giving away one of his handmade Silverangel mandolins to a young mandolin picker and he asked me to share a clip of my...
  13. Re: In Bluegrass, would the octave b considered a rhythm instrume

I think it depends on the jam - and how many hippies are there...

Kirk
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

Thanks to all for the patience I forced upon you, but at least the interminable wait is over! Both pick samplers have been checked and are ready to ship out. I've seen a dozen attempts by various...
  15. Re: Why not a domestic, hand built instrument instead?

Pour one out for this guy. I've never seen somebody admit they were wrong on the internet before. Hat off to you, sir!
  16. Me / And / Dad (Billy Strings) Mandolin Transcription Book

Yesterday I was chatting with my fellow mandolin buddy Thomas Cassell (go check him out if you aren't familiar with him, https://thomascassell.com) and he jokingly said, "Btw I’m waiting on a...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Learn how to solo / scales

You underestimate me! :)
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Newbie Builds an Electric Mandolin

Hi all!

As promissed, this is really a slow build. :)

Over the past few weeks I managed to prepare the body blank. I started with four quartersawn 4/4 cherry boards which I cut to the size and...
  19. Re: I don't know what to sell this for!? Custom Two Point Mandol

Sell the Raven? Nevermore!
  20. Replies
    Views

A major update to the Builder Database

Over the past three weeks we've worked through a major overhaul of the Builder Database that was launched on this site July 29, 1996. An eye opening experience worth sharing what we learned.

Mea...
  21. Re: What Happened to Dominick Leslie in Golden Highway?

Maybe Hawktail is in the studio! :mandosmiley:
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Floyd Old Time Get Together

This was the best music camp I have ever attended, and it was not our first rodeo. The folks from the Handmade Music school did a fantastic job. The instruction (Calab Klauder and Reeb Wilms from...
  23. Re: Early mandolin recordings / Correcting Wikipedia

I remember that, Jim! I have a lot of the same cylinders, and have a machine that will play the Blue Amberol cylinders, but had to have phonograph phriends transfer the wax cylinders for me. I had...
  24. Re: Shackleton's ship found (and yes, a mandolin!)

Not only a gripping adventure story, but there’s a now-famous cat in it.

I also wound up chasing around doing some reading, and found another photo showing what might have been a weekly Saturday...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: neck profiles in classifieds

Here's a helpful image I found from a 7 year old thread:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=143222&d=1454259948

I confess that up to a few minutes ago, I wouldn't have...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4