Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Living in Kazakhstan, ready for online course

Peghead Nation, Mandolins Heal the World, and ArtistWorks all offer pre-recorded lesson series.
  2. Re: Best Bluegrass/Newgrass/Jamgrass Festivals

Cavefest is a worthwhile trip to the Caverns in Pelham, TN just outside of Nashville. My wife and I have been both years they have had it and will be going back. Good lineups, good venue, lots of...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Getting Back To It

I haven't wondered over to Waynesboro music, but I have seen that they are occasionally hosting jams over there. Can you say much about the range of inventory they had for mandolins? And other...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Acoustic music near Elkton, VA

Sue,

I'm not sure if you are still there or if you get down this way often, or how far you are travelling, but with more notice I could have gotten some more info together. I'm in Charlottesville...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Ireal Pro on PC Windows

I have tried that and was unable to get it in a workable condition on my laptop. I have stuck to using it on the phone, when I use it which is rarely.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: seeking modern bluegrass suggestions

I put some suggestions on the first page, but adding a couple here:

Mountain Grass Unit: a very young trio, played mostly covers but had a couple of originals. I had hear OF them before, but...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Pentatonic phrases

So, my "method" for practicing these songs with an eye towards learning about the Pentatonic Scale would go something like this:

1. play the pentatonic in the appropriate key a bunch of times. ...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Pentatonic phrases

Not sure if this is what you are looking for specifically, but you could google songs that exclusively use the Pentatonic scale for the melody. Tons of Eric Clapton if you are into the blues. ...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: seeking modern bluegrass suggestions

Some smaller, newer, or regional bluegrass bands that I have been listening to a fair bit recently. These definitely lean into the Newgrass mode:

Fireside Collective
    Sicard Hollow
    Into the Fog...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Four or five string vs. eight string

I play my electric for a more rock oriented sound. Not that I don't also play acoustic to those songs. But it is just a different sound. I am still figuring out a bunch with it, but at some point I...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Banjo or banjolin?

I don't know if Pig ever played a banjolin, much less this particular one, but he did own a play a variety of instruments that he did not (usually) play on stage. Mostly guitar, which he loved...
  12. Re: good mando shops in Ohio, West Virginia, and Virginia

Welcome to our fair city of Charlottesville. The closest really good mandolin shop to Charlottesville is Picker's Supply in Fredericksburg, which is about another 1:20-1:30 farther east. They do...
  13. Re: What Happened to Dominick Leslie in Golden Highway?

I've been watching a lot of those Golden Highway videos since they started on tour.

Apparently he was skipping some dates due to playing with Hawktail. He has missed some dates and then come back...
  14. Re: The Mandolins and Beer Podcast Episode #133 John Skehan (Rail

I really enjoyed this episode. I'm a big RRE fan and don't see John Skehan mentioned much on here, but I have always enjoyed his playing.
  15. Re: 5 Minute Mandolin and Banjo Mandolin Course

That's good. Unless somebody comes up with a 4 minute Mandolin and Banjo Mandolin course. Then you're in trouble, huh?

No! No, no, not 4! I said 5. Nobody's comin' up with 4. Who learns Mandoln...
  16. Re: Shackleton's ship found (and yes, a mandolin!)

Looks to me like that fellow with the mandolin might be George Marston, this ship's artist. He is identified in this photo and looks like the same person. Also was identified as being interested in...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: How's She Lookin' Now?

Not better for me, I just want to know what the original was now...

Really great looking mandolin Sue!
  18. Re: Big River - chord sheet and tabs / notation for solo

Thanks, I am working on other things for a class right now, but I have this to return to!
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Waylon Jennings and the Mandolin

Spoke too soon, this appears to be the whole music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIkImOEj050&ab_channel=waylonbuddy
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Waylon Jennings and the Mandolin

There's a link to the "storyline: and I use that term loosely, below. Doesn't have the complete song, but does have a snippet at the end, including a tiny bit of Waylon with a mandolin. My skills...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Gift Suggestions

I'm not Sue, but it looks like Concord Community Music School has some mandolin classes or instructors, including a mandolin ensemble.

Portsmouth Music and Arts center looks like they have some...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Gift Suggestions

Tone guard?
    Song books?
    $50 could go towards lessons?
    PIcks as suggested above are good.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Total noob wanting to get a mandolin

You might try here: http://www.nctradmusic.com/mandolin-lessons

or here: https://pinecone.org/teachers

The first one looks to be a music school and the second just a matching service the...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Guess that rig - Jarrod Walker edition

I do not have a guess, but he has been a guest on Mandolins and Beer about 4 times or more. I think they talked pretty extensively about his gear. I've listened to them, but since I have little/no...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: greg butler/ viper strut

I've never heard of him, but as this band looks like they would play music I would like, I clicked a few links. It appears Greg has moved on and they no longer have a mandolin player with them.
Page 1 of 2 1 2