Re: recently discovered Loar K5 ?

Here is a Bayard 26 inch based on the 24 Loar K5, really nice tone on this
    I'll admit 26 inches scares me a little

bkuAmpKIQ9U
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Franks' Mandolin Kitchen

Gee Frank,
    now I feel like my woman done left me, my friends don't talk to me, my dog won't even let me pet him, lost my job, and spent my last handful of change on a bottle of cheap bourbon I...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello as an octave?

I know Matt Flinner has a 24-25 inch scale octave, which is about the same as a Mandocello. I imagine tone would be good, it may be quieter than as a mandocello.
    Maybe 15 years ago octave mandolins...
  4. Replies
    Views

recently discovered Loar K5 ?

I am already thinking of the atrocities I would commit to get my hands on that Loar

GXYG0Y12bNM
  5. Replies
    Views

Don't kid yourself Frank, you are that cool!
    As proven in this video
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Birdland Breakdown

I really like this groovy version from Wintergrass 2024, played at human speed!

GZeW7HJL2ss
  7. Re: How do YOU play the C section of Jerusalem Ridge?

I am bringing my index finger to the 5th fret of the E string and then the middle finger on the 7th of the A ( so making a double stop), go back and forth between the two strings
    then walk up from...
  8. Re: Feeling Tone Wolf FM-F200DF Mandolin Review

Doesn't sound bad, I think the problem with most Pac Rim that I have encountered has not been with the build, its generally the wood material and the finish, and its usually the finish that "limits"...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on keys.

if you look at very early Gregorian Chant notation there is no key indication, we've come full circle in the 20th century when Arnold Schoenberg proposed the 12 tone system, there are 12 tones - do...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Once Upon a Stormy Morning

Thanks for the support guys, I have to give a shout out to Frankdolin and Jozef Schiener, who took the time when asked to listen to some of the early mixes of this project and gave very wise audio...
  11. Replies
    Views

Once Upon a Stormy Morning

Releasing my new album on Band Camp, all instrumental Mandolin ensemble music with an emphasis on Mandocello.

Once Upon a Stormy Morning

Here is the opening track via You tube

B3am4J5_fDI
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: What's your new fiddle tune?

Blakes March - what a fun tune, I am hopelessly obsessed

thanks to Flinner and Walsh for bringing that back around
  13. Re: Como llora una estrella - Venezuelan waltz

nice version

John Reischman, Butch Baldasarri and Robin Bullock recorded it on thier "Travellers" album, John also teaches it in his Peghead Nation melodic tunes course.

One of the great...
  14. Re: A customer playing a baroque mandolin I built

coolest thing I've seen in a while, Hats off
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on tremolo

more slow tremolo out of Verona, I really enjoyed this.

b3VV_ge6gP0
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Italian Mandolin music being forgotten ???

Buon compleanno Luigi

Strangely I have recently taken an interest in Italian mandolin music, oddly the Irish and Italians were sworn enemies on the streets of 1930s Utica NY as my Father would...
  17. Replies
    Views

Listening to other Italian players, I would say the Carmelo Sciplino style is more of a regional folk style than even a classical form.

My impression is in tremolo, the interval between down...
  18. Replies
    Views

I came upon this version of an Italian tune, I must admit I really enjoyed the mandolin style, where I find the tremolo technique and result to be very different from that of "American" mandolin in...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: playing late and drinking

it is possible you are more relaxed about it and so it sounds better, and I 've known people who can be stumbling drunk and then land a dart in the bullseye from across the room (I'm not one of...
  20. Re: Mike Marshall & Darol Anger show on 2/9/24

"every household should have a mandocello" - I thought that was common knowledge ? no ?
    at least that's what I told my wife when I acquired the second mandocello

Always enjoy these two creating...
  21. Re: Domenico Scarlatti mandolin compositions?

I did enjoy your versions

"six of Scarlatti's sonatas written for melody instrument and basso rather than for keyboard -- a recent commercial edition considers that all six were intended by the...
  22. Re: Domenico Scarlatti mandolin compositions?

Right but its only a theory.
    If a specific instrument is not noted for most of the compositions (assumed harpsichord here), then he just wrote it for melody and bass, with the intention that any...
  23. Domenico Scarlatti mandolin compositions?

I found this you tube suggesting D Scarlatti may have written specifically for violin or even possibly mandolin.
    While I have my doubt its not that unreasonable of a notion.

I don't know when...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

really nice John! If that's the place you live, it is beautiful. Sounds like your luthier skills are shining here!
  25. Replies
    Views

nice - between you and me I will take old Hank over the Chet Atkins Nashville sound any day of the week.

Got to love the tone on that Northfield!
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4