Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: My first mandolin is finally here!

I've been using Wegen Dippers, most recently the 1.8. One day I didn't see one handy, so I picked up a Wegen Gypsey Jazz that was in my pick jar. I believe it is around 3mm, but it has a ridged thumb...
  2. Replies
    Views

The 2 picks I have used most frequently and find easy to hang onto (as well as make the instrument sound best) are the Dunlop Primetone Sculpted plectra (they have tiny little bumps making a circular...
  3. Replies
    Views

Well .....Congratulations on your mandolin.... play on. Also, if you don't drop your pick every once in a while you are gripping it too tight. Keeping your pick clean helps too. I keep some foil...
  4. Replies
    Views

MrEma93, Those top of the line Loar 700s are a great one with a really good rep! Have fun playing.
  5. Replies
    Views

If you have problems dropping picks, I'd go with the GRIP ones. Some people like the triangle, some like semi-round.
    Watch your shipping charges!
  6. Replies
    Views

I love the triangle Primetone picks. I slightly round one of the corners of the triangle with sandpaper or an emery board, matching as near as I can the bevel of the other points. I find that the...
  7. Replies
    Views

I'm a fan of the Dunlop 515P1.3 Primetone Semi-Round Sculpted Plectra, 1.3mm
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JB4WA54/
  8. Replies
    Views

I converted to triangle shaped picks early on and still use them most of the time, but in the last few months I have gone back to using different tear drop shaped picks sometimes. All are some...
  9. Replies
    Views

Very nice playing, especially for a new player. I notice that you list a .73 pick in your signature. Lots of players use those, but I would recommend trying a heavier pick at some point (the Dunlop...
  10. Replies
    Views

If that's your first mandolin, how the heck are you so good already! I'm curious to know what instruments, other than that strat, you've been playing that made the transition so easy. Sounds great...
  11. Replies
    Views

Good for you!
    Warning...it's habit forming. :grin:
  12. Replies
    Views

Congratulations and enjoy!
  13. Replies
    Views

Nice playing, well done. The only advice I would offer is be careful you don't knock that Strat over as the headstock appears to be leaning on the wall :)
  14. Replies
    Views

Congratulations on your new mandolin! It sounds Awsome!

Payton
  15. Re: [FIRST MANDOLIN] The Loar, Eastman, Kentucky?

Luca, Using Paypal will give you a recourse. As the seller has to put in shipping information, and you can typically get your money back from Paypal if the product doesn't arrive.

Best,
    David
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: [FIRST MANDOLIN] The Loar, Eastman, Kentucky?

I just bought my first mandolin, an Eastman MD 505, and my feeling is that for someone new, buying from a good dealer who does a setup is worth the money. I wouldn't know a good setup otherwise. Now...
  17. Replies
    Views

Pros to buying new:

You're buying from a dealer, so you should have no worries about not getting what you ordered. Peace of mind is worth money when buying something expensive online.

The...
  18. Replies
    Views

Luca, most sellers on the Cafe offer an inspection period during which you can decide to return the mandolin - at your expense - if you don't like it or find it is not as described.

There are...
  19. Replies
    Views

I've been very happy with my Eastman MD305,... I imagine the 505 would be an excellent choice!
  20. Re: [FIRST MANDOLIN] The Loar, Eastman, Kentucky?

If you are buying new, most US based brands will not be under factory warranty outside the USA. It falls on your local distributor and solely depends on their policy. For those that do honor...
  21. Re: [FIRST MANDOLIN] The Loar, Eastman, Kentucky?

I agree, buy that one and save yourself 300€!

You can also tie the strap around the body under the fretboard extension, which I much prefer over a strap button. Here's a photo:...
  22. Re: [FIRST MANDOLIN] The Loar, Eastman, Kentucky?

Here you go.
    Eastman MD505 used from the classifieds £400:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/98525#98525
    Bought from and setup by TAMCO
  23. Replies
    Views

I like to put my money into tone, so my A style MD 505 was, for me, the way to go.

I'd only buy a F style if I were moving up from the likes of a Collings MT. I wish........
  24. Re: [FIRST MANDOLIN] The Loar, Eastman, Kentucky?

Good choices Luca. I was in a music store in Amsterdam (and I do not recall the name of it) last September. They had very good prices on Eastmans. If I remember correctly, a 305 was less than 500...
  25. Replies
    Views

In that price range, look at the next higher tier of Eastmans - I've played an Eastman MD505, and it's an absolutely gorgeous mandolin in every respect.

You may also be able to find a Gibson A...
Page 1 of 2 1 2