Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Punch Bros at Red Rocks w/Gillian Welch

They all came out together for the encore, pictured above. The first tune was The Weight, with verses taken by, I think, Gillian, Gabriel, Critter, Paul, and then all on the last verse. Then while...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Punch Bros at Red Rocks w/Gillian Welch

Yep, this was a very special show. The Punch Brothers played with a ton of energy, and the bulk of the crowd seemed to be there for them. Lots of raucous cheering after songs, as if congratulating...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Levon Helm

Thanks to everyone for all this Levon love. One of my very favorite musicians, and this was a fun excursion into some of the late era performances. I remember seeing the Levon Helm Band earlier the...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Girouard Mandolins

Someone got a fantastic deal today on Girouard #70, a bog cedar-topped mandola. This is 3 SNs away from my cedar F5 and looks to have a very similar burst. I was very tempted to snap up this twin...
  5. Replies
    Views

New Mandolin Orange singles

For those of you who follow this band, or for those who are new to them: Mandolin Orange has two new recordings up on their Spotify page. One of the song "Echoes" from their latest album, and one...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick thickness?

To my mind it's a question of the mechanics of picking a double-course instrument and getting good tone. It takes a few steps, so bear with me...

If you hold a pick firmly when picking the...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Going to see Mike Compton tonight

See you there!

If you can get down to Hyde Park early for the workshops, Mike is leading one at 3:15 in Ida Noyes Hall.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Girouard Mandolins

I have a Girouard F5, and I would agree with keithb's description of the tonal characteristics: fat, thick notes, long sustain, very responsive, even in the lower reaches of the G-course, where some...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Warmest tone from Blue Chip pick?

I also play with the TAD-1R 60. In my experience, the rounded edge primarily affects the quality of the attack with each pickstroke. So it changes the articulation of a note, but not the tone itself....
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Who owns these dudes?

Well if you can live with one serial number away, SN 27 can be yours!

http://themusicemporium.com/new-arrivals/dudenbostel-f5-2003
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile / Bach Trios Gear

I've seen Thile play a Lawrence Smart A-style mandola as well as a larger bouzouki before, could have been either of those. I'll have a look at the Chicago show tomorrow and report back if there's no...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: taking a break at the jam

Since no one's posted it yet, board member Brad Klein filmed a great conversation with Michael Daves about mimicking vocal ornamentation with a mandolin to come up with variations on the melody....
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Amazing wood for a Girouard oval hole

The sound of that bog cedar comes through well, Don. I love the punchy fatness of the attack. Looks and sounds like it'll be a great instrument.
  14. Re: visited Cumberland Acoustics last weekend

This is the bridge fitting fixture (as Cumberland website calls it), right? It looks like the primary function is to hold the bridge steadily upright and to provide even pressure for sanding. Does...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: D'Addario - Seeking Mandolin Beta Testers

It took me a little while to put together, but here are two string comparison tracks played on a Girouard F5 (#73, which is red cedar and birdseye maple). The first track is played on a well...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Andrew Marlin's F

In a new interview with David Roberts at Vox, Andrew mentions that he recently acquired a Sullivan A. Recently as in about a week ago. There are several other choice moments as well, particularly...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: D'Addario - Seeking Mandolin Beta Testers

Don, would you be able to give us a heads up on this thread once all of the email notifications have been sent? It would be great to know if we weren't selected, so that those of us who've been...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Composition in Roots Music

I would also look to the early David Grisman Quintet and Tony Rice Unit albums for a look at some jazz-inspired, tightly composed instrumental music that sometimes still keeps a foot (or at least a...
  19. Replies
    Views

Indeed! Whoops. Week before last I should have said. It was the show in Chicago on 8/18. The Duff sounded good, but it was amplified in a large venue. Hard to be too confident in my opinion for that...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Fitting and slotting a new nut?

Thanks for the additional thoughts, everyone. I am going to have to check on whether I'm getting any open string buzzing with the action set lower a the 12th fret. I think it's set too high right now...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuner identification

That wouldn't surprise me, as this was a Home Depot purchase. I just need two that are missing.

But All Parts got back to me and are sending a full set of Gotoh replacement screws for $6 and $3...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: The search continues...

Along the lines of what Upis suggested: take Joe Walsh's advice speaking about getting his Gilchrist Model 3 in this video. He made a commitment to himself to play it for year before making any...
  23. Replies
    Views

It is a Sullivan, though I'm not sure what year. I believe the story I heard was that he heard Caleb Klauder playing his Sullivan in the Foghorn Stringband and set out of a quest to find one. The one...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Passernig #49

Love that even, woody tone. Thanks for giving us a quick listen!
  25. Re: "Bear Claw" spruce vs good straight grained spruce

Translated from wikipedia.de (usually quite reliable):

"The common name "Haselfichte" likely arose because the gently waving growth rings and the small, brown intrusions in the grain are...
Page 1 of 2 1 2