Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mother Maybelle's pick

From what I've been able to discern, Maybelle Carter played the lead notes with a thumb pick, mainly on the lower strings of her L-5, and brushed back and forth across the strings with her index...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Questions about bridge design

I started with the SM jig, I prefer to do it by hand and have not used it in years. Everyone is different and that's why this site is so great.
  3. Replies
    Views

That's very different thing from effect of mandolin bridges. On electric guitars the steel vs brass tone has to do with magnetic properties of the metal and mostly affect bridge pickup which is...
  4. Replies
    Views

Why do the feet taper on the inside rather than have a definite edge? It looks nice and is traditional
    Why is the base symmetrical? The instrument isn’t. There's no need. Plenty of people have made...
  5. Replies
    Views

All good questions, but good luck on getting consistent answers.
    I will say that fitting the feet of a bridge to the top is probably the most important thing to do. This keeps the bridge from...
  6. Replies
    Views

Check out the designs of the Brekkee original and tradional bridge for some elegant bridge designs. http://www.bridgerproducts.com/brekke_bridges...
  7. Thread: Capo?

by Shelagh Moore
    Replies
    Views

Re: Capo?

I’ve been playing mando for 50+ years and very rarely use a capo. But I do have one and do choose to use it very occasionally, for instance if I think it helps with the tone or voicing I’m looking...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Removing Case Labeling

If you leave it as is.... show to a jam and watch the jaws drop when you pull a (insert high price mandolin brand here) out of it. 😉
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Large Thumbwheels?

I just measured an original Gibson adjustable bridge. The thread size, as others have said, is (US) number 5 by 40 threads per inch. This appears on the US National Coarse Thread series table as 5...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Large Thumbwheels?

I have heard that the large thumbwheels were replaced because it was thought that their mass was damping vibrations that should be transmitted to the soundboard. Smaller thumbwheels have less mass,...
  11. Re: More piezo elements under the top = more natural transduction

I'm not so sure about that either: consider that as soon as you have 2 or more sound "receiving devices" at differing distances from the source (mics or pickups makes no difference), you will...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: what strings do you use.

From the OP - "what are the best sounding strings out there now a days & were do you buy them ?." When you find out - let us all know !!!.

Seriously - You need to try as many brands & string...
  13. Replies
    Views

Loar Period F-4 Mandolins

It took me many years, but I finally found a Loar period F-4 in excellent original condition with no history of repairs or damage. The inside of the instrument is very clean and the labels are in...
  14. Re: Let's have a hypothetical discussion: Can we improve mando de

I'd add lights to the fret board and GPS
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Finnish music ideas

Metsäkukkia is a nice waltz and song.

videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Mets%C3%A4kukkia

sheet music:
    https://musescore.com/sheetmusic?text=Mets%C3%A4kukkia
    and...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing Chords on an Oval Hole?

That is great advice. The Blue Sky Boys are the Harvard and Yale of old time mandolin.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing Chords on an Oval Hole?

You could try listening to the Blue Sky Boys for ideas. Lots of cool accompaniment going on, and you can clearly hear the mandolin. Lots of short arpeggios, some tremolo, etc.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: How has an Instrument Changed your Playing?

When I got my Michael Kelly 199 mandolin, I started playing way more bluegrass licks as it had the brightness that seemed to go that direction. I'm sure if I bought an old Gibson A, I'd play more...
  19. Re: I took the Tone-Gard off my mandolin. And a Lloyd Loar tidbit

Hate to be a party pooper. And, no doubt it works -- as so many people swear by the device......but, my gripe is that it isn't organic, looks like an ad-on, and just plain ugly! Think about it for...
  20. Thread: Bridge

by Gibsonman
    Replies
    Views

Bridge

Full contact v two point contact ??? Thoughts
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Surprisingly good cheap piezo pickup

I get piezo's in various sizes in packs of 10 for $4 from my local electronics store. They are the same tech K&K uses without the packaging. Piezo crystals are piezo crystals. I've installed them in...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: How to do a black top finish

I built a kit Les Paul clone years ago and painted it with automotive paints. Several coats of color, then quite a few coats of clearcoat, allowing it to outgas in between. I wet sanded it to knock...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: New CA bridge installation: bridge angle?

I thought it might be useful to illustrate this point with some diagrams, since it's hard to visualize the vectors otherwise. The top diagram shows the "traditional" bridge setup, which is typically...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: New CA bridge installation: bridge angle?

Ivan, sorry, but you have the vector physics just a bit wrong. You wrote "IMO,if a bridge is sitting at an angle to the top, & not perfectly perpendicular to it,then the string pressure will tend to...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Another rave about the CA bridge

For folks on this thread who were interested (rfd?), the comparison I was talking about has been posted now! :)
Page 1 of 2 1 2