Search:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: overnight improvements?!

It's funny that this thread should jump to the top of the pile today -

I just spent my lunch hour 'practicing', and I had another one of those 'breakthrough' sessions. All of a sudden certain...
  2. Replies
    Views

Pedals anyone?

I know this isn't directly mando related, although I use the same rig for my electric mandos and tenors, but it is all about electrics and though some folks around here would like to see how I've...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Crystal Forest A/N {5 string Jazzer}

More photos

4. Replies
    Views

Re: Crystal Forest A/N {5 string Jazzer}

It's finished! Terry sent these photos today.

He has made my dream come to life!

5. Still at it....Occasionally..... The "White Budgie"

Thought you might find this amusing.....I finished this a while back and the owner jogged my memory having posted some stuff of his band at Glastonbury festival....This was a really fun build - he...
  6. Replies
    Views

Stompin at the Savoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt9YbAK0IMc

Any of you getting anything out of these vids? or maybe your ambiguous towards them. I know this stuff is not very popular, but I'm curious.

dc
  7. Replies
    Views

I'm not a brain surgeon, nor do I play one on TV. But Josh Turknett is a well-known and respected neuroscientist who studies the human brain for a living, and happens to be a great banjo player. He...
  8. Replies
    Views

Agree 100%! I use this on a regular basis, due to my hour-long commute each way every day. And since self-driving cars are not a thing yet, I can only practice playing mentally while I'm driving. ...
  9. Replies
    Views

It's in the muscles, too. Much of my playing and practice is with warmed-up but partially tired muscles. This may be the pattern for days on end, when I am putting in several hours of practice daily....
  10. Replies
    Views

I sometimes have overnight un-improvements, too.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Tips on chords in Jazz

Wow thank you very much for replying. I've listened to a lot of your music in the past week and definitely came to the conclusion that it was mostly a combination of a non-studio recording setup...
  12. Replies
    Views

Yay Aaron! When playing rhythm with other instruments, the mandolin adds a sparkle or hint of spice that shouldn't draw attention away from the vocalist or the solo instruments. I find myself...
  13. Replies
    Views

Sunny day mandolin photos!

Well the sun is out and we slowly can move ourselves out there to play some mandolin.

You often see mandolin photos under inside artificial light, with some natural light slipping in from a window...
  14. Replies
    Views

Something I'd like to share that I learned from Don Stiernberg--when discussing music (and this can be said for art of any kind), generalized adjectives like, "good", "great", "terrible", "awful"...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: warmer strings?

The DiAdario EFT 74 has a wound a string, phos/bronze and it sounds great on my mandos, very complex compared to the regular plain steel a.
  16. Replies
    Views

When playing with a band, it is easy to play inversions and leave out the root. I also tend to play very vanilla chords in a band situation. The register of the mandolin is where many instrumentalist...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Gilchrist Archtops

Yes, it is. And now, there's this gorgeous F4 junior at TME from the same batch as the F5 junior.

http://themusicemporium.com/mandolins/gilchrist-f4-jr-2010
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Gilchrist Archtops

Six years ago, later this summer, I was on the hunt for a mandolin. I went to Nashville and played several great mandolins twice that summer. Then the 5 Junior on the right appeared for sale (it...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Musicians and hats

Ha! - Remember that line from "Pretzel Logic" by Steely Dan: "You must be joking, son - where did you get those shoes?"
  20. Replies
    Views

The Green Dolphin Street video sounds great because Don is staying in one place for that "cool" effect.

In general, jazz chording will sound right if there is very little movement, little or no...
  21. Replies
    Views

Dear drbhrb,

Please be more specific about which chord sounds you don't like. I don't mean to defend my bad sounding chords, and I would like to help. A quick review of the samples above...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Flying with two mandolins?

The trick to flying with two mandolins is to hold one in each hand and flap really hard. Don't worry; nobody will think you're crazy. The crazy ones try it with banjos.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Roadie Automatic Turner

My life doesn't need changing that badly. The couple of seconds saved over tuning the "old fashioned" way ie electronic tuner on headstock isn't worth the price to me.
  24. Replies
    Views

John Paul Jones and the mandolin

Nice interview about his journey with the mandolin......

d06qLgWBGaI
  25. Thread: cgda tuning

by WillFly
    Replies
    Views

Re: cgda tuning

It's a bar pickup, Dave - here it is in action:

q2J74WONl7U]As Time Goes By
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4