Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Sound: opinions sought on technique vs instrument, i.e. anti-

One big downside to buying the instrument of your dreams is that you then have nowhere left to hide.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Vulfpeck - Thile appearance

That was pure joy! The look on the two guitarists' faces said it all.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Prettiest Peghead Inlays Ever

I'm quite partial to the inlay on my instrument...a little biased I guess but it's certainly unique! Here's a picture from the mandolin archive 179598
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Closed Chords come Last?

I guess I'm lucky there. When this is what you want, closed chords start to fall behind...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYYbK2sDaJ4
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: capo, capo no

I am in complete agreement about no shortcuts to theory. Being a jazz player, theory rules. However, there have been a couple requests for a simple method. I think the easiest method is to learn...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Cafe Ball Cap

The MC hats are a great way to make new friends.

7. Replies
    Views

Re: Column: Making a Living as a Musician

This is really interesting to hear, Mary. Many, but not all, of the younger musicians I deal with, and some from Berklee, simply have no clue over basic business "behavior". Forget the financial...
  8. Re: Group in Search of a Name...Any Ideas/Suggestions Appreciated

If you're looking for a Philly connection use something that is Philadelphia specific. Figure it this way. Nobody is going to have the word Schuylkill in their band name but you and nobody outside...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: New Band Finds to Share

https://youtu.be/xKS5EsH4xJA

https://youtu.be/WbMk7yya53Q
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Character over practice?

It seems to me that creativity is limited by the ability to express it.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Well Played...crafty harmonies here..

Embedded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD4FuqWpdZU
  12. Re: Is the electric guitar dying, taking Gibson and others with i

Amen. I will say that one of the things that heavily influenced guitar-market cycles, was popularity of various musical styles, and the performers associated with these styles. Neil Young with a...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman mandolin give away??

You did not send Eastman your email address, nor did we. Your accusation is incorrect and misinformed on all accounts. The story should end there but allow me to elaborate since you made the public...
  14. Re: NEED ADVICE: College (best ones for mandolin?)

New England Conservatory has a fantastic program called the Contemporary Improvisation department. Students from all over the world study and are able to play their instruments that wouldn't normally...
  15. Re: Intra-course string spacing -- New Mandolin

I saw the title and thought I better not go near this one......:disbelief:
  16. Replies
    Views

Another Brick in the Wall

When one of my students asked me if you could make an arrangement for classical guitar of "Another Brick in the Wall", I replied that maybe it was not the right piece ... However, in the end, I gave...
  17. Re: What kind of music peeves your pets, and other plays?

I have two dogs but only my mini-schnauzer sings along especially when I play mandolin. I can't tell if it bothers him or not. If it did why doesn't he leave the room or cover his ears? Old sample...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Christmas tip or Christmas gift?

You do get more bang for your buck if you stick with an A-style frog.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Favorite Thile Quotes?

No. It was actually pretty funny and witty on the spot, and being there... the whole audience enjoyed it. The bottle cap landed with a pleasing thud, and he knows that the mando world watches his...
  20. Thread: Someone kick me

by JeffD
    Replies
    Views

Re: Someone kick me

So here is something to keep in mind. I made this point in a similar thread:

One - you will, no matter what you chose, have some regret about what you didn't chose. So choosing "the one" on the...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Ryman Blues

Yes a shame indeed. If these people had any manners they would be singing about killing their lover, being cheater on by their lover, or drinking excessive amounts of alcohol.

Personally if I...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Rob Wasserman

Huge loss! Wasserman took the bass where no bass had gone before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryxmftgV-OI
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Rem - losing my religion and other rock songs

Most of the bands mentioned use the mandolin as a, dare I say, novelty. There are a few bands that use(d) mandolin as a frontline lead instrument. Drew Emmitt of Leftover Salmon, Michael Kang of...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile - Miss Manhattan

Chris is a musician first, mandolin player second. He is able to adapt his mandolin to whatever his musical idea is.

If I like or don't like the musical idea, well that is something else, but...
  25. Re: You know what they say about mandolin players with big hands

This is a warning shot. Let us be very clear that the posts above that have been removed, and to the OP: a second post of this nature anywhere on this forum will result in your immediate and...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4