Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: The amazing Jaco Pastorius

Watched this last week and agree - nicely done doc on a fascinating, visionary musician. Be sure and watch through the end credits, for some great playing.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Lap Steel Guitar - No Mando content

I have an old Oahu student model that I think sounds and plays well. They are inexpensive if you can find one, and are readily re-sellable. Lap steel is deceptively difficult, at least if you want to...
  3. Re: Eastman El Rey vs acoustic mandolin with pickup

If you plan to use effect pedals, the magnetic pickup may play better with them. Those El Reys seem pretty sweet to me, though I'm happy with my Mann (which has both magnetic and piezo).
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Morris Flattop on the way

Awesome! The Morris will be a joy to play and hear, no doubt.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Favourite overdrive?

My two favorites are the HAO Sole Pressure for light, and the Smallsound/Bigsound Mini for heavier.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Is this Kentucky KM-160 a good buy?

That would be perfect, grab it at that great price!
  7. Re: Information about Weber, Flatiron and Gibson Instruments

Hi Bruce. Just want to say that my '01 maple Gallatin F remains an absolutely wonderful instrument. Never fails to make me smile - thanks for that!
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: SNARK ST-2 Super Tight Clip On Tuner

Snarks are cool, I’ve been using them for years and have several. But I recently decided to try the Unitune and frankly, it is superior. Not ditching my Snarks or anything, but the Uni is now my...
  9. Thread: New OM Day

by spufman
    Replies
    Views

New OM Day

A serendipitous Reverb search Sunday night scored me a nice deal on a Weber Sage #1, from 2001. And it already arrived yesterday morning. Came with a second shorter saddle and a couple sets...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: 1916 Pumpkin Top A1

I use lights on my ‘17 as a precaution. They play and sound nice.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: A brand new Mowry oval A - I am so excited!!

Holy smokes, that’s so beautiful. Let its art inspire yours.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave Mando. scale lenght.

Mine’s 19” but it’s an electric. I’d want longer on an acoustic, but it’s great amplified.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Weber, the best years.

I suspect there are only good years. Mine’s an ‘01 Gallatin F and it is a wonderful mandolin. Original owner had it built with flame maple back and sides versus the then-standard mahogany. I do...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: My new mute pedal: brilliant?

Yep, that works. Some pedals use a relay based swich so when power fails it runs as full bypass. But a 'normal' dpdt will work just as you've found.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Your Opinions on inspiring a new student?

Well, after dropping clarinet/bass clarinet as a freshman in the seventies in favor of the electric bass, I do recall a primary motivator: I wanted the girls to like me! It kinda worked.

Now my...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Looper recommendations.

The Electro Harmonix 360 works well for me. The two-switch 720 is over a hundred, but a good option. Buy used.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Case Suggestions for Oval

My '18 A1 fits fantastically in the TKL Prestige arched A case.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Self taught practice

The ffcp book is great and really was a revelation for me. I'd also highly recommend playing along with the stereo, whether it's music you know or just a random radio station. It's really satisfying...
  19. Thread: Muscle Shoals

by spufman
    Replies
    Views

Re: Muscle Shoals

And don't forget the Wrecking Crew doc, as well.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Weber Gallatin A

I have an older maple Gallatin F and the fit, finish, tone and playability remain excellent. Lacks nothing but the fiddly bits, compared to the upper line Webers I've played.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Another FFcP believer!!!

It's the book that clicked with me, too. The scale and tuning truly is marvelous.
  22. Re: If you could only own one mandolin, which one would you keep?

I don't have a full cache of instruments, but the one to keep would be my Weber (Gallatin F). It is the most comfortable to play and has the sweetest and most touch-sensitive tone of the lot. No...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: playing other stringed instruments

It's amazing what can be done on your phone these days, with a little bit of time and a houseful of instruments! Obviously mandolin is not my primary instrument, but it is probably the most fun. As a...
  24. Re: Underrated Gibsons - the A2 and A3 stepchildren

Wow, what a happy picture Jim! You're lucky to have that, with you obviously proud Dad.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: playing other stringed instruments

My main instrument is electric bass, started in '78 or so. I devoted 2014 to finally becoming 'adequate' on mandolin to the expense of other instruments, because I wasn't getting there by having it...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4