Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: 4-String, Solid Body Electric Mandolin Options

I have a MandoBird that I like as an 8 string. I gravitate towards 4 & 5 strings with standard scale emandos and enjoy 8 strings with the octave scale but I think preferences in emandos are more...
  2. Re: 4-String, Solid Body Electric Mandolin Options

Mosey on down to the solidbody subforum, plenty to read there:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/forums/53-Four-Five-and-Eight-String-Electrics
  3. Re: 4-String, Solid Body Electric Mandolin Options

I was going to suggest the Epiphone MandoBird, as being an inexpensive choice suitable for this purpose. I picked up two of these from eBay a bit more than ten years ago, for about $125 each. They...
  4. Re: 4-String, Solid Body Electric Mandolin Options

I love my 90s MandoBlaster!
    :mandosmiley:
  5. Re: 4-String, Solid Body Electric Mandolin Options

Check with John Gonzalez at Sparrow:
    https://www.sparrowukulele.com/products/sparrow-5-string-solid-body-electric-mandolin
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Breaking the TAB habit

I have played bluegrass for 50+ years and I seldom see even a book or paper with words never tab or notation. I don't think you can pay real bluegrass except by ear.yes playing from memory will help...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Breaking the TAB habit

Hear the tune in your mind and find it on the fingerboard. If you don't know the sound of the tune in your mind, find a recorded source and get it from that.

This simple approach to learning...
  8. Re: Chord Tone Scales: Bridge to Practical Application

Exactly - it can provide many a cool lick, but somewhat of a cheat if it's all you can do.
  9. Re: Chord Tone Scales: Bridge to Practical Application

Hi Relio! Well, that's true, but the topic is about chord tone scales, and the post you quoted from David is about playing through chord changes. The pentatonic can fit pretty well over the standard...
  10. Re: Better strings for Rogue ASAP or try better setup first?

Get a good set up first, then play with different kinds of strings. Good luck.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: taking a break at the jam

Practice improvising more at home. Jazz fusion guitarist Scott Henderson recommends focusing on learning lines in no more than 3 or 4 note chunks. He compares it to learning words rather than...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Great new bluegrass CDs 2016

Adam Steffey's "Here to Stay" is a good one
  13. Re: Jordan Ramsey wins the mandolin competition at Winfield!

Friends, thank you so much. It still feels like a dream. I'm sitting in the air conditioning at a Mexican restaurant in Winfield eating carnitas and trying to let it sink in. Those of you who know...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: How do you memorize tunes?

OK, I disagree. Just from my own personal experience. Do you have anything to back up this generalization, or is it just your opinion - which is fine.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Collings MF vs Collings F5V

The V-stands for varnish, Mf's are pretty plain, bound top, usually matte finish, I'd go with the V, varnish finish everything is bound, nice woods, peghead inlay.a nicer mandolin
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: The search continues...

17. Replies
    Views

A valuable lesson there! Next time, do the sensible thing.
    Log onto the Mini-Van Cafe.
    Ask for lots of advice.
    Ignore most of it.
    Buy mini-van.
    Sell mini-van.
    Repeat.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Lots of notes vs. defining the melody

Why Did You Wander https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhDfro3D5ao
    One of my favorites. Great kick-off and break by Mr. Bill. Lots of notes, not much melody. Works for me.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Lots of notes vs. defining the melody

Not a vid, but the Decca recording of Blue Ridge Mountain Blues (with Frank Buchanan singing lead on the verses) would be an example. Thre are many examples of Monroe abandoning the melody in favor...
  20. Replies
    Views

Good point and gave me a chuckle. My friend, who is retired, but owned a vintage guitar shop for years, likes to remind me that compared to collecting Van Gogh's or vintage automobiles -- we have a...
  21. Replies
    Views

Another video clip before finally opening the package from the morning UPS trip...glad you all are having as much fun with this as we are! Life is either a tragedy or a comedy, am I right, friends?
  22. Replies
    Views

You forgot about sblock that seemingly stepped down from heaven to enlighten the OP with such valuable wisdom.
  23. Replies
    Views

My New Pava Pro

Pava Pro #197, purchased new from Seth Rippey in Lockhaven, Pa. Love it! Great setup as well as fit and finish. Sounds great. Wonderful round neck (don't like sharp V's). Beautiful blonde with ebony...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Introducing the Sorensen VX

Thank you for the positive notes!

Just to pick up on the progression of the "X-series" of designs, this process started with my desire to work on new designs which hit three marks --

1. ...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: cross picking challenge

I play a version of Home Sweet Home in this style...

6Vr7uQgo000

Recently I've been doing this with GF Clock and Boil them Cabbabge Down. I'm working on the Jesse style but mine is more of an...
Page 1 of 2 1 2