Search:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Handy tool heads up!

After a long backorder, these are back in stock. Great for smoothing out that tricky scroll!!

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=67195&cat=1,42524
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Arches A style kit arrives

If you want I have a similar A-5 kit and can start a build diary for those of who are interested.
  3. Replies
    Views

Easter Meditation: It Is Well With My Soul

https://youtu.be/9-wEbszahw0
  4. Replies
    Views

DIY copy carver.

Seems to be the cheapest and easiest way to get yourself a duplicarver. Has anyone built this one? Plans are at copycarver.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DytNtu2dbcY
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Why "Waverley" Tuners ?...

If the nut is of good quality, the nut slots are good, and the strings fit the slots well, (in other words, if the instrument is well set up) any decent quality tuners will tune the strings just...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Tap Tuning F5 mandolins.

What we can do is called "educated guess".
    We can pretty closely replicate their working methods and materials and even the specs from the sheets.
    Loar had no one to learn from the TT of mandolins....
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Tap Tuning F5 mandolins.

I've repeatedly said about all I have to say about tuning parts of mandolins to what I consider to be arbitrarily decided frequencies, so I'll leave it at: I tried it and gave it up because I didn't...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Don't despise me: Banjo question

How they work.

d4h0Z7h0IAQ
  9. Re: Filtering colortone and transtint dye impurities

I don't have a filter suggestion, but I've always been able to spray the stuff after filling an airbrush bottle using a pipette. I draw the liquid dye mix from the surface of the container with the...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Jacob Reuven Warm Up Routine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN2M8x7raN8
  11. Replies
    Views

Jacob Reuven Warm Up Routine

Thanks to Mando-Montreal here is a video of Jacob Reuven's warm up. He discussed this in our workshop this summer and I took the best notes I could. And I have been working from my notes. I did not...
  12. Gellie F-5 in the white in pics and sound bites

Hi everyone

Just strung up my Gellie F-5 made from an Arches F-5 kit.

Here is a picture of her in the white soon to be sunbursted:

And here is a sound bite :mandosmiley::
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Harris Mandolin Making: Fitting Tone Bars

Final shape.
  14. Pickin' Salt Creek with Frank Solivan and Dirty Kitchen

I had a chance to sit in for a tune with these guys at the Station Inn - what an amazing band!959_AYNS_7A
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Headstock reconstruction. Aother

finally...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Arches A style kit arrives

Hi Daryl

Mine is heading to Australia hopefully this week. Great pics BTW. I will give a report when mine arrives.

And by the way you can build a mandolin almost as good as a Collings if one...
  17. Replies
    Views

Arches A style kit arrives

UPS dropped off a 5.6 lb, 16"x16"x6.5" box yesterday. Inside the Arches A style kit was neatly packed and was very well pleased with the contents.

the top, back and sides were high quality. The...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Show us your jig? Bindings

You guys are on the right track but I would advise that you always use 2 opposing spool clamps so the body rides on three points. The bottom edge of the rabbit will be much cleaner. Even for a...
  19. Replies
    Views

This is a jig I made using some parts from a stewmac binding jig that never worked very well and some other bits and pieces. I prefer to use a down cut spiral bit. (In this case it cuts up)
  20. Replies
    Views

Just set it up. Chose to use an LMI bearing cutter.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Very good Girouard Talon review clip

There's more playing in this clip.

9su3DO1R9nM
  22. Replies
    Views

Hans Brentrup Book

I was at Hans Brentrup's house the other day, and he showed me his last F5C mandolin and a new book he has written on mandolin building. Looks like very practical information with lots of...
  23. Replies
    Views

Very good Girouard Talon review clip

Max and Lauri Girouard pointed to this review/demonstration clip on their Facebook page. The reviewer does a great job of providing the kind of information required by potential buyers - and the...
  24. Re: Paula's Vintage Kay rebuild and learning project.

It's a good thing I have not been bitten with the lutherie bug, I don't think John would ever get anything done!
    You are so generous with your talent, it makes me happy to see you help so many.
  25. Re: life changes; one door closes, another opens/hits you in the

As long as you go in knowing how much of luthiery comes down to sanding, and are prepared for the hours that don't feel so creative, go for it.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4