Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Monteleone Mandolin Registry

I’ve put together a Monteleone Mandolin Registry at

https://monteleonemandolin.com/

If you’d like to send me vital stats (year, serial number, unique appointments, etc.) and some photos, I’ll...
  2. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

Mostly it's origins - there's a lot of articles on this.

My take is here - https://mattcbruno.com/why-i-dont-play-turkey-in-the-straw/

Here's a few others.
  3. The dreaded black A2Z question. With a possible answer...

Hi,

We may be a step closer to solving the Gibson riddle. To start, I am no mandolin expert. I've written about and photographed vintage guitars for years and have a solid knowledge-base there. I...
  4. Re: Removing a Pickguard from a 1921 H4 Mandola?

If the goal is just to secure the guard I would recommend not trying to remove the pins from the side of the fingerboard because you risk breaking the guard. Better to let a professional remove it if...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Removing a Pickguard from a 1921 H4 Mandola?

That's good. These guards are sometimes tough to remove.

When you remove the clamp, you will see that there is a brass piece on the back side of it. If this piece is intact, it will have a hook...
  6. Replies
    Views

Visit to Schoenberg guitars, Tiberon, Ca

Hey all,

I decided to take advantage of a beautiful day and drove over to Schoenberg Guitars in Tiburon, Ca.
    Definitely my favorite instrument store out here in California, if not my favorite...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Finally a 1924 Gibson F2 with a Virzi

Here are some photos of the 1924 Gibson F2 with a Virzi.
  8. Re: If you could ask Chris Thile and the Punch Brothers one quest

Thank you to everyone who replied for your suggestions and comments! They were very helpful and interesting to read. The VIP package was well worth it and easily one of the coolest experiences of my...
  9. Re: Article: D'Addario Announces Monel Mandolin String Sets

Monel is approximately 65% nickel and copper whereas, our Nickel Bronze strings are a Nickel-Plated Phosphor Bronze string (Phosphor Bronze is 90% copper). Quite a different "recipe" if you will so...
  10. Re: Article: D'Addario Announces Monel Mandolin String Sets

Hope they also have a set for mandola.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: "Perfect" Scroll?

This one:

12. Replies
    Views

Yes, and that was when the fingerboard was glued directly to an elevated area of the top, not to an applied elevated extender. Though the terminus of the scroll ridge was moved to extend downward...
  13. Replies
    Views

That design is moving into the art of the time. Especially the back- it looks like it's moving- almost a Spanish lady dancing. Very cool. Probably not for bluegrass though. :)
  14. Thread: "Perfect" Scroll?

by HoGo
    Replies
    Views

And one more... the gap between fingerboard and scroll is smooth continuation of the gap in scroll. 99.9% modern mandolins miss this.
    It's also perfectly visible on the Loar pic few posts earlier......
  15. Replies
    Views

This picture also captures something that some may not be aware of but notice why the fingerboard has the point before the extension, to blend with the oval hole.
  16. Replies
    Views

This is from a poster of the 2005 Mandofest in Lawrence. Has to be a teens F-4. This scroll isn't perfect in execution as it looks like they could have scraped it cleaner and possibly over-thinned...
  17. Replies
    Views

Although it’s seems like an eternity back in the early to mid 2000s I can remember looking at the photo of a F5 on Andrew Mowry’s web Page and thinking it was the most beautiful scroll I had ever...
  18. Replies
    Views

Not sure if either qualify as perfect, but here are two master Luthier’s versions
    Weber
    Ratliff
  19. Replies
    Views

Gary Vessel.
  20. Replies
    Views

John Hamlett has blended the Gibson mandola scroll with his F5 and has come up with what i think is by far the most beautiful mandolin scroll of all time. Yes, even easier on the eyes than the...
  21. Replies
    Views

Post deleted. I just realized which forum this is and that this is a request for photos. Sorry
  22. Replies
    Views

I agree. Robb's work is something, indeed. I have a mango/cedar one of his that is a work of art. 165976

The lines of the button and the scroll more generally just seem to flow and to come...
  23. Replies
    Views

Who is the builder?

Edit: never mind I saw the Elkhorn tailpiece
  24. Replies
    Views

I think this guy's scroll and overall aesthetics are some of the best.
  25. Replies
    Views

Page 1 of 2 1 2