Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: 2022 Northfield Big Mon

I had a 2016 Big Mon and best mandolin I ever played in 50 years (Apart perhaps from a 1927 Gibson F5). In the lockdown I foolishly sold the Big Mon. Big mistake on my part. I think they are...
  2. Replies
    Views

Great playing and a great sounding mandolin!
  3. Replies
    Views

Great pickin! I fell in love with my Big Mon at the first strum & she's become my #1 :mandosmiley:
  4. Re: New Mandolin day! Help IDing vintage Gibson mandolin

The case appears to be a UTILITY brand case by Geib & Schaefer. They appeared about 1926 and were the first side-opening "chipboard" cases. They were a nice quality case with genuine leather edging...
  5. Re: New Mandolin day! Help IDing vintage Gibson mandolin

XERF was our station growing up in TX. Supposedly at 250K watts. I think we picked it up off my meemaw's dentures when she was snoring.

Country Jesus, hillbilly blues. That's where I got my...
  6. Re: New Mandolin day! Help IDing vintage Gibson mandolin

WBT had a house band called the Briar Hoppers. Plenty of info about them on the web. Might give you a lead on the initials

Adam
  7. Re: New Mandolin day! Help IDing vintage Gibson mandolin

According to Spann, both the serial number and factory order number correspond with 1930.
    If it has a bound back, it is an A-1. If not, it is a plain A.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD: 2008 Kimble A5 #143

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZfXmm-TngI
  9. Replies
    Views

NMD: 2008 Kimble A5 #143

Been looking for a natural finish Kimble A for quite a while. Missed on one in the Classifieds here about a month ago, so when this one came up on The Music Emporium's site, I jumped. Got here...
  10. Thread: Worth repair?

by sunburst
    Replies
    Views

Re: Worth repair?

Solid wood (not laminated), lots of play wear, came from Europe, looks like fluted f-hole wings, All these things and probably more point to it possibly being a very good hand made instrument, and...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

The First of May on the first of May, from the James Bryan album of the same title, I had to plant on the pick guard of this 20 F4 as it was causing some distortion, I may remove it yet. Thanks to...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: 'Chinquapin Hunting'- 2020 Northfield F5S

Very nice! That Northfield sounds great, three left handed players???
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: 'Chinquapin Hunting'- 2020 Northfield F5S

Well done!
  14. Re: "Tripping up the Stairs" with Jackson Grimm on mandolin

Here ya go... However, I believe that tune is called "Off She Goes." "Tripping Up The Stairs" is a different jig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ytoeto85jE
  15. Don Stiernberg Trio, "It Could Happen to You"

Every ten years or so I'll post some new videos to my ancient YouTube channel,page, (whatev) This one here is an old Burke/Van Heusen number, played by everybody from Bing Crosby to Miles Davis. If...
  16. Re: Land's End. Tim O'Brien cover with free notation

Nicely played!!
  17. Re: Land's End. Tim O'Brien cover with free notation

Nice..great playing, very clean.
  18. Replies
    Views

'Tiny's Rag' by Tiny Moore with tab.

Hayes Griffin playing Tiny's Rag. Playing on my Isabel #13. Doing great Hayes!

https://youtu.be/VevO1oLYwbI
  19. Re: "Bill Monroe plays Bill Monroe" / an album edit

How about one of the classic F&S album covers with Monroe replacing Curly Seckler?
  20. Re: "Bill Monroe plays Bill Monroe" / an album edit

I would miss Kenny from one of my very favorite albums. I also like the sequel: "Bill Monroe Plays Kenny Baker." :)
  21. Re: edit of the bluegrass album with only bobby hick's solos

Keep practicing the fiddle break on Blue Ridge Mt. Home in both the key of Bb and A.:)
  22. Re: edit of the bluegrass album with only bobby hick's solos

Since you've already messed with this album - Doyle's mandolin playing on the Bluegrass Album would be mighty fine!
  23. Re: edit of the bluegrass album with only bobby hick's solos

How about, "Kenny Baker plays Bill Monroe," record/cd. You could do Bill's mandolin breaks.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Swannanoa Gathering 2019

5 more days! Time to get excited. Anybody else coming? Looking forward to a great week.
  25. Replies
    Views

Interesting crosspicking video

Bitraker just posted this over on AGF and I found it to really get to the heart of crosspicking. It's mostly on guitar but the video close up and slow motion views make it worth about 20 minutes. ...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4