Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: block inlay patterns

201055 How’s that?
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: block inlay patterns

#37 Amber Koi fish with Lapis lazuli blocks by Martin Jacobson.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins as a work of art

I have a mandolin that Martin Jacobson made for me, #37 Koi fish theme. I wish I could figure out how to post photos of it here. It is a work of art and a joy to play. I also own various trumpets...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Want to take up the cello

The world needs more groups like the New Horizons Orchestra (and band, too). The beginner adults have a great time learning and we have a “snack” break in the middle of rehearsal to just chat for a...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MD-315 vs Gibson Doyle Lawson

My first nice mandolin was/is an Eastman 615. I had Marty Jacobson make a different style mandolin, his #37. It is not nearly as loud at the Eastman, but balanced much better in tone and volume. It...
  6. Thread: Solo builders

by Sterling
    Replies
    Views

Re: Solo builders

Agree. Check out Marty Jacobson. He was a delight to work with and his work is beautiful visually and aurally.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: What instrument is the hardest? My experience

I’ve got a MOOG Theremin that’s pretty tricky to play. Just waving in thin air with no reference points. Left hand for volume and articulation and right hand for pitch.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Prettiest Peghead Inlays Ever

179200Kinda like your #37 headstock Marty.
  9. Replies
    Views

Hilary Hahn: Hearing her live

I heard Hilary Hahn last week in a small church in Skaneateles, NY. She started off the program playing JS Bach’s Partita no.3 for solo violin. About a minute into her performance, I realized that I...
  10. Re: Jacobson Nautilus Mandolin #39 - Ziricote and Birdseye

Marty, I am fortunate to play your #37 Koi themed mandolin every day. With Thomastik strings it is a great instrument to work on the Bach Violin Sonatas and Cello Suites.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Go Deeper, Not Wider

John, I’m with you on fountain pens and watches. I keep looking,but am satisfied with what I own and love using/wearing them. Being a retired middle school band director, I was forced to go ‘wide’ on...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Buffalo NY area

Bernunzio’s in Rochester. An hour away from Buffalo or so.
  13. Re: Don Kawalek Mandolin Building Workshop, March 25-30, 2018

Hey, that second guy on the left looks familiar!
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Instruments, Cost & the Placebo Effect

This thread is not limited to mandolincafe. Check out trumpetmaster.com for more craziness. I own about 40 trumpets. I’ve paid anywhere from $9.00 to $4,000.00 for them. They all have their own voice...
  15. Re: Pac Rim instruments vs American made instruments ??

Drop the mike and walk away Allen. This thread is now done!
  16. Re: Pac Rim instruments vs American made instruments ??

For those of you who are sceptical about Pacific Rim instruments, I have Yamaha(Japan) and Jupiter(Taiwan) trumpets that no American manufacturer comes close to making sonically. I own many American...
  17. Re: Which Mandolin fits/compares to your Ability ??

I always try to purchase an instrument better than my capabilities. That way I can’t blame the instrument for my lack of ability.
  18. Thread: Snowbound

by Sterling
    Replies
    Views

Re: Snowbound

You people are funny! Up here in central NY we average 123 inches of snow each year. Winter hasn’t even started yet.....
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman Mandocello MDC805 - setup questions

Good to know! It’s funny we don’t realize how lucky we are living near to good resources.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: is the mandola the perfect instrument?

This is a bad thread! I started playing mandolin about three years ago. I’ve been playing trumpet for 53. Just bought an Eastman Mandocello which is great. Then this thread came up. Local...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Get Your 4 Year Degree in Bluegrass

My local community collage and I believe Syracuse University offers courses free to audit if you are over 60. I’d be taking those in a heartbeat!
  22. Replies
    Views

Same as a trombone player! Trumpet is a little better.....This is in regards to the post of earning tens of dollars!
  23. Replies
    Views

Going to college is not necessarily seen as a distinct career path. Many music majors continue on to medical school for example. One of my friends who was a French horn major at Crane School of Music...
  24. Replies
    Views

A few prestigious schools offer degrees in ethnomusicology. Why is this any different?
  25. Re: How do the Eastman Oval Holes compare to the F hoe Mandos?

I have an Eastman 615 and a f hole Eastman mandocello. I really wanted to like the oval hole Eastmans. They didn't project to my ear when playing. Might be a matter of taste. Crystal Forrest...
Page 1 of 2 1 2