Search:

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Irish Mandolin Recordings

Here's another one to add to the list, and a cafe member as well!

https://seankeegan.bandcamp.com/releases
  2. Thread: Alec Finn RIP

by kmmando
    Replies
    Views

Re: Alec Finn RIP

I have now added a load more images of Alec Finn if anyone is interested.

http://www.kevinmacleod.co.uk/alec-finn

cheers Kevin
  3. New Celtic music podcast: "Music at the Crossroads"

Hi all,

I started a new Celtic music (mostly Irish) podcast last month. I do a live show on Dublin South FM every Tuesday evening at 6pm GMT. The podcasts go up on MixCloud a day or two after.
  4. Replies
    Views

Marla Fibish's Irish Mandolin Course

Anyone else taking the Irish mandolin course on Peghead Nation taught by the wonderful Marla Fibish and care to share a video of their progress? She's teaching Irish slides at the moment. It's really...
  5. Thread: Alive Inside

by Dan Adams
    Replies
    Views

Re: Alive Inside

We've played in assisted living, and some tenants will listen expressionless, but take the time to approach us after the set to express their gratitude for making their day so much better. Our best...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Alive Inside

I've played nursing homes and have similar gratifying stories. I also worked in nursing homes when I was a podiatrist. One home had an elderly woman who never said a word, even when talked to,...
  7. Replies
    Views

Alive Inside

There is no mandolin content here, but anyone with an appreciation of the power of music is likely to be touched by this movie. Just watched it on Netflix last night and highly recommend it. Here's a...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: So few women

A lot of good points brought up on this thread:

- I too feel that there may be a generational effect at play, certainly in the States the irish trad players I encounter would veer to the middle...
  9. Replies
    Views

Lol, my PNW breast cancer support group included two men, one who had breast cancer and one who had lost his wife and wanted to give any support he could to women going through the same thing.
  10. Replies
    Views

I agree many of the folks posting here that any gender bias may be a regional or local phenomenon.

Here in Oregon, the president the Oregon Bluegrass Association is a women. In gatherings of...
  11. Replies
    Views

Thanks! I do both equally well. :)
  12. Replies
    Views

Get out in that kitchen,
    And rattle those pots and pans,
    Get out in that kitchen,
    And rattle those pots and pans,
    Well, roll my breakfast,
    'Cause I'm a hungry man.

I said, shake, rattle, and...
  13. Thread: So few women

by Cindy
    Replies
    Views

So few women

Too often I am the only representative of my gender at the jam (OT, BG). I have asked the women who sometimes come why they don't come more often. Their reasons involve other obligations: relatives...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Purchasing through the Cafe

I call foul! You've made a truly absurd -- and utterly false! -- insinuation. There is no evidence that members are in any way "hiding" by their use of usernames on the MC. In fact, most of the...
  15. Replies
    Views

Art and Irish music

Finn Harper is a very talented artist posting time lapse videos of his work to some great music - he seems to be friends with many fine musicians on the Irish scene. Here are some of my favourites. ...
  16. Replies
    Views

Dwight Yoakum covers Purple Rain

I'll just leave this right here. There's a hint of mandolin content.

I like the cover alright. Not as much as I liked his cover of Truckin on Deadicated but still listenable,

I'll try and...
  17. Thread: Netflix

by Mark Gunter
    Replies
    Views

Re: Netflix

Ain't In It For My Health: A Film About Levon Helm
    Muscle Shoals
    History of The Eagles
    Tom Petty: Running Down A Dream
    The Wrecking Crew
    Glenn Campbell: I'll Be Me
    Keith Richards: Under The...
  18. Replies
    Views

Life with a Luthier

As I was taking out the pan, I saw there was a piece of wood in oven! Luthiers know how wood affects sound, but does anyone know how wood affects the taste of lemon squares?
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Headed to Ireland - Bring the mando?

So, having spent almost 3 weeks in Ireland, I feel like I can begin to answer my own question. I have to say first of all that it was an outstanding time, with lots of good food, drink, wonderful...
  20. Thread: Ali, RIP.

by Jim Bevan
    Replies
    Views

Re: Ali, RIP.

Well, as maybe the only person in this forum with a musical connection to him, I feel obliged to share my story. :)

I was playing (piano, with a band) at one of his press conferences. I played the...
  21. Thread: Ali, RIP.

by foldedpath
    Replies
    Views

Re: Ali, RIP.

Not a boxing fan either, but I admired his political activism and later humanitarian efforts. And yes, a different person in private, although it's hard to tell in later years how much of that was...
  22. Replies
    Views

Hup channel on Youtube...

I now have another distraction from work - watching all the videos that TG4 trad music programme Hup have uploaded to their Youtube channel - great stuff here!

a06FLutgJh0
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Another one for the angel band - RIP Guy Clark

Celebrity deaths usually don't faze me, but this one left me feeling like I'd been punched in the gut. He was one of the greatest song writers of our era, with a peculiar wit and a great style. He...
  24. Replies
    Views

Ramblings about triplets and trebles...

I just put up a blog post rambling on about playing triplets and trebles, inspired by the other things I do in my life, namely dog training, and playing the drums - here's a link if any of ye want to...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Truss Rod - Needed or Not Needed?

The thing about routing out a channel for a truss rod is - you weaken the neck making it more likely you'll need to adjust the truss rod. There is no truss rod in my Morris F4, or my Cricket fiddle...
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4