Search:

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Need help valuing mandolin.

I have a Vega f-hole cylinder back mandolin c.1920 by serial number 38168. It is a Bauer Model as stated on the front headstock plate. I'm trying to put a value on it for insurance but I cannot...
  2. Re: Texas: The Pearl Bluegrass Jam's new webpage

RIP Roy Gaugh & a history of the Pearl Bluegrass Jam and Stage Show.

Posted on the Pearl Facebook page:

Roy McGaugh - (1930-2019)
    ===========
    I'm very sorry to share the sad news that...
  3. Replies
    Views

New Flat-back German

Hello everyone,

Feeling nostalgic today for the old pre-social-media days. Here is a new Flat-back German model just completed. Hope the attachments come through alright. I have also posted this...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Humidified Mandolin/Guitar Cabinet

Thanks for the replies. This thread is more for a particular question, rather than how to humidify a room or a single family house. I'm in a NYC apartment, steam heated. I know the advantages and...
  5. Re: Favorite Electric Mandolin Albums or Artists?

Look up Jason Anick.

https://youtu.be/bVwfkbCMdz4
    The video embed isn't loading for me here. so I've linked it... Jason Anick doing an original composition called Bela.

Daniel
  6. Replies
    Views

In Praise of Mediocrity (?)

Recently, people were discussing the pursuit of mandolin "brilliance" on another thread. I'd said that one of the joys of taking up mandolin in my 60's was that I didn't have to aim for excellence;...
  7. Replies
    Views

The Jethro Burns Lessons online

I don't think this resource has been mentioned here in awhile (could be wrong, but all I found was a post from 2011 when Jim Nikora announced the addition of Mike O'Connell's recordings to the...
  8. Replies
    Views

RIP - John Baxter of Mandozine

The confirmation we didn't want to see but felt was true finally appeared on the Mandozine Facebook page. John Baxter passed away according to a family member. On behalf of the Mandolin Cafe and...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Funky Vintage Mandolin Appreciation?

I have a number of lower end mandolins. My current go to mandolin is a Kay made of mahogany and a solid spruce top known as a model 17277066 and a half- that's quite a number. It was made in the late...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Improv From Scratch

LBV, I hear this all the time from students. That is why I start with "free" improvising, just making things up playing by yourself, not worrying about fitting in with others. Get some confidence...
  11. Replies
    Views

Chris Thile shred

Say what ...

(Caution: Parody Ahead)

-4y-yN2MHRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4y-yN2MHRY
  12. Replies
    Views

National innards

a bit of a surprise to see what's beneath the cone of the modern National mandolin:

13. Replies
    Views

Mandolin Orange on WGBH

Everything about this is great but who cares what I think. I will let the video and music do the talking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdP8S0uKP5U

Thanks,
    Dem
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: question about Gibson A mandolin

Oval hole Gibsons can be heard on records by the Stanley Brothers, Flatt and Scruggs, The Dillards, The Kentucky Colonels [Roland and Clarence White's band], Jimmy Martin, etc. etc. etc.

Until the...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: tonguards ..do they really work?

I think you're lucky that only $75 makes your $3000 mandolin sound like a million bucks!
    Your analogy falls flat because fancy car rims are just for looks, not performance. The tonegard is exactly...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: New bridge saddle

A replacement will surely sound better than the broken one.
    Weigh the old one, weigh the new one. If the new one is heavier, remove some wood until it weighs the same as the old one. That is...
  17. Re: How do you justify a high end mandolin? Or do you?

There are luthiers without the hype/buzz that are producing mandolins that rival the big names. Girouard and Passernig are ones I have experience with. I'm sure there are many others. I like to buy...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Truss Rod - Needed or Not Needed?

The thing about routing out a channel for a truss rod is - you weaken the neck making it more likely you'll need to adjust the truss rod. There is no truss rod in my Morris F4, or my Cricket fiddle...
  19. Loving my Red Diamond "Vintage '22" F5

I've had my new baby, Red Diamond #190, one of his vintage 1922 "Crusher" voiced F5, for about a month now and all I can say is that Don MacRostie's reputation for nailing his Loar voicings is...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Changes in availability of Weber Instruments

Bruce is as fine a man as there is in my opinion. I have always enjoyed the times we have met or talked by phone. That being said, when you sell your company the new owners have the right to make...
  21. Re: Changes in availability of Weber Instruments

I live and breath mandolins most of my waking hours. To me, it is the most important instrument there is! On the rare occasion, I get a wake up call (like Don's post here), reminding me that this is...
  22. Re: Changes in availability of Weber Instruments

Much ado about not a lot here.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Changes in availability of Weber Instruments

Ok Scott, point well taken. Only reporting facts which can be easily verified here from now on. No personal feeling, just the facts, sir.

Just spent some time studying the Web site. I was unable...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: 'Signed' mandolin question

I can only speak for the Charlie era of mandolin building. Every Master Model and every Distresses Master Model were played by Charlie and several others of us to ensure it was the product we wanted...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick Guards attached

at first glance it looked to be on life support :)

I'm a guard fan. Ordered one from Tom Ellis (like the one on your A5) to install myself. After studying where I'd need to drill two holes - I...
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4