Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Electric Viking Mandolin

Hi,
    I got tipped that this community would perhaps have some interest in this instrument.

This is a custom made mandolin made by Harald Hougaard of Norway. It is a normal scale mandolin tuned as...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Craftsman Bandsaw

It's even farther away from me or I would say "stay away from it! It's trouble!" and then go buy it myself. (I could use another bandsaw about that size.)
    Since I'm so far away, I'd say grab it! At...
  3. Replies
    Views

As good as it gets!

love it... 50 million hits after 1 day and counting.

QjvzCTqkBDQ
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolincafe Restoration Challenge

Wanted to correct this last post.... There was a personal issue with the previous high bidder, and it was best to relieve him of his commitment. So, currently, the bid on this great mando, custom...
  5. Re: RIP: Jon Sholle, Guitarist with DGQ in the 1980s

Jon was a great guitarist and a dear friend. We met in the early 60s when he was the prevailing flat-picking wunderkind of the NYC bluegrass scene. He truly brought the funk/rhythm & blues into my...
  6. RIP: Jon Sholle, Guitarist with DGQ in the 1980s

I'm sorry to report the passing of Jon Sholle. Around here, he may be best known as a member of the David Grisman Quintet in the 1980s. I was working at Rounder Records when his album Catfish For...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: How do you carve plywood?

I did some research on the internet; (if it's on the internet, it has to be true, right?) Here is the story that I came up with on a Gibson acoustic message board:

"According to several former...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Bolt-on neck for f-hole mandolin

As stated above, American made Breedloves had the bolt on butt joint. I used to have one and it seemed perfectly fitted. There was no lacquer over the joint so there would have been no cracking. If...
  9. Replies
    Views

Both Weber & Summit mandolins have a 'bolt on neck' (sort of). The bolts are used to correctly adjust the neck angle prior to gluing.
    So they're not a true 'bolt on' neck,which to me implies NO glue...
  10. Replies
    Views

As Graham correctly points out this is a real pain for f-hole mandolins. I have done this for oval hole mandolins and there it works much better.

There is a significant "gotcha" compared to...
  11. Replies
    Views

Breedlove mandolins are done this way.
  12. Replies
    Views

I can't think of any significant pros, a dovetail is not all that difficult. Is quite a different story for guitars, and looks like this guy is a guitar maker. It is rare for a mandolin to need a...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Tougher mandolin

Hi Don,

I live in southern NM and watch the humidity issue constantly (sometimes single digits). As said by Yankees1 you really need to run a humidifier 24/7. A small room even better and crank...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: No Power Tool Mandolin

And that is the nice thing of forums like this one, a wealth of experience available. Yes there is knowing how much to give and take with the tools and wood, you are only going to get that by working...
  15. Replies
    Views

OK, I am new here and don't want to annoy people right out of the gate, just looking through the Build and Repair section for build threads. I thought I would read this one as I did something similar...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin builders... of today & yesterday

This is an old post. Still interested? He's in Belgrade, MT. and owns the Zeta violin company now. He also makes parts for many of the American builders. "made in USA".

Saw his shop in 2016.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Jointing using a Stanley No. 7

Keep in mind that you can "initialize" the bottom of most planes. If I am understanding your question correctly, this procedure below should work for you. You'll just need some grits of sandpaper,...
  18. Re: Searching for a builder: Jim Rowland in Ohio

Around the year 2000 I was looking to upgrade my instrument. I scanned the MC Classifieds and came across Jim Rowland selling his handmade mandolins. The price was very reasonable. I gave him a call...
  19. Replies
    Views

I've used my trusty medium sized bowie knife quite often for initial neck shaping and even trimming back overhang when the maple was not too cooperative... Works pretty well but can do quite a damage...
  20. Replies
    Views

If you are going to check the flatness as described by HoGo, you should do it with the blade in the plane (of course you set the blade so it doesn't project below the sole). Although it seems...
  21. Replies
    Views

I've been using a slightly rusty Buhl #7 plane (Buhl bought Stanley castings and set them up with better irons) with excellent results for years. I found it way in the back of a junk shop, covered...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Joining using a Stanley No. 7

Pitted is no problem at all if it's not severe rusted areas but just isolated dots.
    Perfectly flat is not required but if you lay machinist straigthedge (preferrably as long as the wood jointed)...
  23. Replies
    Views

Yes, as evidenced by many subtle things, including that he has all his fingers.
  24. Replies
    Views

Here's how you do it --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDQg6qFjjy0

Steve
  25. Replies
    Views

Dennis Vance

I just received a pick and a new set of strings from Dennis Vance at THE MANDOLIN STORE. He had some type of “contest” on facebook, and it looks like I was a winner! I can’t tell you how much this...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4