Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Bury Me Beneath the Willow - Song breakdown, charts, and note

Hi mbruno,
    Mike Marshall does a deep dive on Ricky's playing this song over on Artistworks. Mike was living with Tony in Berkeley when "Skaggs and Rice" was recorded at Arch Street Studios in 1979,...
  2. Re: Bob Koester Chicago Jazz/Blues Producer Passes

and Magic Sam
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Vitti 'Na Crozza

That is some fast tremelo!
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Mike Marshall's Loar?

Just the other day MM played a cool rendition of Rice’s “Swing 51” with the Loar. He plays one or the other depending on the situation, methinks. If anyone is interested, the tribute is still showing...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: On Line Lessons

Mike Marshall at Artistworks has a fantastic beginner curriculum, if you’re looking for that. I’ve taken years of lessons from him. I also take from Peghead Nation, whose instructors and classes are...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Jerry Jeff Walker

Blind Willie Johnson should also be on the list. Played in Deep Ellum too. Must make a pilgrimage to Ellum one day.
  7. Re: Three Early Kentucky Mandolins Made In Japan

Did you try calling Saga in South San Francisco? They’ve researched serial numbers for me. Good folk.
  8. Re: I'll See You In My Dreams - Django transcribed for mandolin

wow!
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: John Cohen 1932-2019

Thanks for the statement about the power of music to “grab” you, allenhopkins. It’s not a choice you make...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: No Wires ! Joe Walsh w/ Molly Tuttle

Wow, something about this just brings a tear. Thanks for posting
  11. Thread: Tonegards

by Bill Findley
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tonegards

Interesting thread. My $.02: I’ve had one for several years on my KM 1500, a newer Tonegard with the clear tubing on the clamps. I play sitting down usually. with only the very back of the mando...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Elbow or wrist...

Benedict jumped “the wall” long ago.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Opera singer guitarist in need of help

I want to be right down front! Where are you performing? Please fill us in, and good luck with your search for the right mando. I would contact Caterina Lichtenberg, who teaches Classical Mandolin at...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Mike Compton changed my pick grip

Before going all in with Compton, I’d check out Mike Marshall’s suggestion: https://youtu.be/NmagoBQunZI
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Soft Picks ?

I’ve tried most all the picks, and I’ve found the D’Andrea Radex 1.25 I got recently to be really soft, almost a sponge-like feel. Softest I’ve tried, but I haven’t tried a Wolle.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Blue Chip meltdown

I like the way my TAD 60 sticks right onto my thumbpad, like, immediately. So then I can loosen my grip and still not drop it. I’m following Mike Marshall’s instructions: “You should drop the pick...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando Fret work in SF/Marin?

Call Schoenberg Guitars in Tiburon.
  18. Re: Bill Monroe's mandolin played once again - now with video

I loved what he did, all of it. Perfect song for understated playing, and perfectly understated playing.
  19. Re: FREE ebook: Learning Mandolin: a Genre-Hopping Approach

Nice job, but on page 26 you identify Ira Gershwin as George’s wife. Ira was his brother.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Public Domain

If a group jams only PD music in a coffee shop which doesn’t have a sound system, is there a copyright issue?
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Italian Mandolin music being forgotten ???

Liuqin陳子涵 Chen Zi Han

Don’t know how to embed , but if you check out this Taiwanese woman’s renditions of Italian faves on Youtube, playing a liuquin, I guarantee you’ll be impressed.

Bill
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Strap on F-style

Have a seat in a chair with no arms, put your left leg on a footstool or the closed case, and you won’t have to worry about tensing up your right arm to hold the mando in a comfortable position. The...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: I Bought "The Loar" Once!

Not sure , but your post is a little odd, coming out of left field. I have a well-made and well-finished ”The Loar” LM 400, bought new several years ago from Folkmusician. Nice chunky neck, good for...
  24. Re: question for anyone taking lessons online at artistworks

At Artistworks, for $23.50/month for a year or a bit more for one month, you get two lessons/month (in some cases a bit longer if Marshall is unusually busy) and access to hundreds of other peoples'...
  25. Re: E. Barbella (c. 1750): Tinna Nonna - Neapolitan Lullaby

and many thanks for the accompanying slideshow
Page 1 of 2 1 2