Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Lyon & Healy Mandobass

The size of of it in the picture above is deceiving. This is a pic of it from Facebook.

Phil

2. Replies
    Views

Re: TKL “A” style case help

I actually got a Hiscox case a while back and it unfortunately did not fit the early ones either. They are just too wide and these cases like to keep things nice and tight. I have a Hiscox Artist...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: The Loar White House Photo

So this photo dated to October 7th 1922 popped up today on Facebook. It appears to show some of the same people as The White House photo but dates to at least 5 months prior. If you look closely it...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Shipping Ledger - November 29, 1951

I’ve posted this before but it would be GREAT if the original shipping records could be made public.

Phil
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Was he really a lefty?

Here are two examples of Orville’s handwriting. Notice the left handed lean.

Phil

6. Replies
    Views

Re: Was he really a lefty?

I’m probably not going to go too far into this discussion but I will say that I own what is probably the most fancily carved pre-company Orville Gibson made six string guitar and it has what appears...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Identification of Gibson Mandolin-Guitar

Yes it’s a 1905 Gibson. They had slotted headstocks for about a year in between the initial paddle heads and the later solid headstocks. Here is my 1905 Style 0-2. Yours has been refinished, has a...
  8. Replies
    Views

Most appropriately finished L-3 Guitar

We all know that the white top finish was a standard feature of the A-3 mandolin. This finish has popped up on less than a handful of other instruments. Here it is on my Snakehead L-3. Pretty cool. ...
  9. Replies
    Views

Link to Awesome “1902 Gibson” thread

This thread on the restoration of the earliest known Gibson Co. labeled mandolin was in the video subsection of the forum. For those who may not look there here’s a link
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson 1902 Mandolin Repaired & Playing now.

Here is it’s slightly older very similar brother. Ca. 1897 Orville Gibson made and labeled.

Phil

170817 170818 170819 170820
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: 1923 Gibson K-5 Mandocello

This is a real ‘23 K-5 mandocello. In the 30’s it had a minimally invasive conversion done to use it as a guitar. It has now been put back to be used as a mandocello. It sounds great by the way.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: 1923 Gibson K-5 Mandocello

Yes it is mine. The man in the photo was the owner of this "guitar" for decades. He was a music teacher in Michigan and this was his main instrument. It came to me from his son. As for the...
  13. Replies
    Views

1923 Gibson K-5 Mandocello

Obviously I’m super excited about this but for times sake here’s a copy and paste of a post I made on Facebook in the Vintage Gibson Flattop Group (kind of a misnomer as we discuss archtops and...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Mandocello

I have no problems with the buyer or seller. Now the appraiser on the other hand....

Phil
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: How brisk is the Gibson Loar F5 market?

If you had the money you could probably have 15 at your house next week. The question then is if that actually happened what would that do the Loar market? Push prices higher, flood the market with...
  16. Re: Archive.org: Gibson Mandolin Guitar Company Catalog I 1914

Acousticmusic.org is a great resource with catalogs also

http://acousticmusic.org/research/history/catalogs/

Phil
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: "Family" addition, from the Larsons

Up until just very recently I had three (and I'm mainly a guitar player). They were all Gibson's and all different models.

Phil
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Post A Picture Of Yourself

19. Replies
    Views

Re: '25 Fern on eBay?

That's an interesting question. If an instrument can be proven to be a Loar but the label is now gone then what? So what's a label worth?

Phil
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Tenor Lute

I recently made a post on Facebook stating how Loar seemed to have a pretty strong liking for his 10 string mando-viola. Multiple public photos of him show him holding it. Being so fond of it it...
  21. Thread: 1900 Orville

by goaty76
    Replies
    Views

Re: 1900 Orville

The best place to see some Orville’s up close would be The National Music Museum. That is if you ever get to South Dakota. They have 4 of the roughly 20 known Orville pieces. Or you could go to...
  22. Thread: 1900 Orville

by goaty76
    Replies
    Views

Re: 1900 Orville

That mandolin currently resides at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC.

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/700485

Phil
  23. Replies
    Views

Early Mandolin Club Post Card (Gibson)

I recently got this original Glee and Mandolin Club post card on EBay. It’s post marked 1907 and has a picture of some pretty cool instruments. Too bad the photo quality isn’t that good to really...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Removing Case Labeling

Sneaky way:
    Leave the Washburn logo on it.
    That way, when you carry around your Gilchrist inside, less chance of it getting stolen! ;)[/QUOTE]

Almost definitely anyone that would steal an...
  25. Thread: Loar pickguard

by goaty76
    Replies
    Views

Re: Loar pickguard

Well if happen to buy any Loars (or pretty much any 1910-1930 GIbson) and don’t want the pickguard feel free to get in touch with me. I’m happy to pay your asking price.

Phil
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3