Search:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Harrison Straps

They look great! Nice instrument collection too!
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Was away quite a while...

Welcome back!
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: playing late and drinking

Or, as Tim O’Brien said during a recent gig - the more you drink the better we sound!
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: What's GDAE and audible in a session?

4 Melodeons will be bloody loud! One is loud enough - 4 is insane! An Octave Mandolin will really struggle to cut through the mix there - OMs occupy the same kind of sonic space as guitars, and...
  5. Re: Difference between "new" and old Eastman MD615

Hi there, sorry I can't help with your question. However, you might possibly get a few responses if you repost it in the "Looking for Information about Mandolins" part of the forum, rather than in...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Second chord in Old Home Place

Lonesome Town by Ricky Nelson uses exactly the same sequence (albeit in a different key). It crops up in a fair number of songs.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Instrument insurance in the UK

Allianz (correct spelling) Musical Insurance are a proper musical instrument insurance company based in the UK. Others may well exist, but I’m only aware of Allianz. Of course, do check your home...
  8. Re: Where to buy a good quality mandolin in the UK

Hubrad - looking forward to seeing it soon! Enjoy!
  9. Re: Where to buy a good quality mandolin in the UK

Hi Dagger - those JJ Ryan mandolins look and sound very nice in the videos. Never heard of them before, so thanks for mentioning them.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: 2022 Northfield Big Mon

Great playing and a great sounding mandolin!
  11. Replies
    Views

10 Years and counting!

Hi folks,

it's now 10 years since I joined the Cafe - and, therefore, around 10 years since I started playing the Mandolin (although I'd already been playing guitar for around 38 years at that...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield 4th Gen F5

Wow, that's a beauty! Love the headstock inlay!
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MD315 or MD 515?

Oh, and as Eric pointed out, the 515 has a bound fingerboard and comes with a better case, vs unbound fingerboard and padded gig bag on the 315.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MD315 or MD 515?

They're both fully hand-carved instruments, made from solid woods, with the same dimensions. The only difference is that the 505 has a glossy finish, while the 305 has a matt, more rustic finish. ...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: New Northfield A5 special coming my way

Looks ace! Enjoy!
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Lifting bridge on a cheap acoustic guitar

NotMelloCello - I've been using the same guitar guy for all my guitar and mandolin servicing and repairs for almost 15 years now. He's very good, has very reasonable rates, and I trust him...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Does my mandolin sound cheap???

Thanks Barry!
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Does my mandolin sound cheap???

Hi Brad,

I've just seen your video and have a couple of observations to offer. First off - you have to realise that Joe K Walsh is an exceptionally accomplished player, with many years of...
  19. Re: NMD Girouard Concert A5 (pictures and a video)

That’s a lovely instrument, and a really nice version of Over the Waterfall.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave mandolin less-expensive choices

My youngest son bought a Trinity College last year, and it’s a very nice Octave mandolin. We also tried a Gold Tone but were both very underwhelmed with it.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Check out my new truss rod cover.

Very nice! Does it glow in the dark when orcs show up?
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick thickness - how to choose?

For my tastes, for mandolin I prefer a larger triangle (rather than a teardrop), with points (not rounded), and a pick thickness of around 1.5mm. That gives me a really punchy tone, good bottom end...
  23. Re: New Eastman 305 - how long to play in, does tuning change?

The Eastman 305 is a good mandolin. One of my sons has one, and it plays and sounds great. The tuners are a bit stiff, but it stays in tune and has a really loud and punchy, woody tone.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Thomastik's for MDO-305 Eastman Octave

Thanks F-D!

Yeah, I bought a cheaper flat-topped OM last year, used. Been playing it a lot more this year, but it needs new strings, hence the question. Will give the Mandola strings a shot.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Forest and Kate O'Connor - Sound of Silence

Hi Yankees1 - yep, it’s his son and daughter-in-law.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4