Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Going to check out a jam session

I've had good luck taking my acoustic mando to a local "rock and miscellaneous" jam, with the internal pickup plugged into a Katana Air amplifier. As long as they're not crazy loud, it's more than...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Do you apply oil to your fretboard?

I use a product called Lem-Oil Fret Board Conditioner, by Kyser. As PT66 said, use sparingly and wipe off excess. My luthier prefers to use just a bit of Johnson's Paste Wax, but most of the folks...
  3. Thread: Chicago refret

by Alfons
    Replies
    Views

Re: Chicago refret

Madison is about the same distance from Rockford as Evanston. I haven't dealt with them myself, but Spruce Tree Music advertises that they were founded on doing repair work, and has a photo of fret...
  4. Thread: Chicago refret

by Alfons
    Replies
    Views

Re: Chicago refret

Guitar Works in Evanston did a fine job refretting a L&H Style C for me, back when owner Terry spent a lot of time in the shop. Conor, his shop manager has worked with Terry for a long time and has...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Blind Mandolin Players ?

As mentioned by grassrootphilosopher: Rory Hoffman:

This performance checks all the boxes, plus ...
  6. Thread: Swannanoa

by Alfons
    Replies
    Views

Re: Swannanoa

Agreed - obviously everyone's budget is different, but I find this pretty reasonable, especially when you consider what you're getting. I have been to it, and the positive comments about both the...
  7. Re: Helping out a mandolin themed film: Jacob's First Mandolin

It's neck and neck! My vote for today is in. :)
  8. Re: Helping out a mandolin themed film: Jacob's First Mandolin

Nice story! Great quote: "One of the best bets I lost in my whole life". Nicely done film. Got my vote. :)
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Howe-Orme Mandolinetto

Me too, Allen. They are fun as you said. I find you have to learn to play them like they want to be played - they are not bluegrass machines. Mine had the neck falling off, but was put back together...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: harmonic dampener grommets

Here's the info you want, and in classic Cafe style, an entertaining thread to boot!

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/54120-Rubber-Grommets-for-the-Mandolin
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Florian Klaus Rumpf Kickstarter

Having listened to some samples of the music, I agree with Mr. Cafe that this would be a nice project to hear completed. I'm on board, hoping some more of you will agree so my pledge doesn't go to...
  12. Thread: Barbara

by Alfons
    Replies
    Views

Re: Barbara

Well I for one had not heard this tune or the album, so I am glad you posted! What great music. Just sampled the rest of the LP & bought it. Thanks!

You're right about the John Carlini guitar as...
  13. Thread: Frank Wakefield

by Alfons
    Replies
    Views

Re: Frank Wakefield

You can hear Frank, literally "alongside" several of those artists, on a great version of Dusty Miller, and he also does a couple of his own tunes on this album, which is great fun:

Bluegrass...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: dry & dusty/ old time mandolin & fiddle

Very nice! This came up at a fiddle jam a few weeks back and I wasn't familiar with it. Perhaps with these fine examples you folks have provided, I can at least have a clue the next time it comes...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Screamin' CL deal on a (very worn) F2

Good luck Sue! I hope it's got a great fret job and neck on it and sounds fantastic.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: My MAS is cured.

It might be easier for some of us to relate to if you said your MAS is in remission. Some are just not destined for a cure. :grin:

With an oval hole and an F hole you've got a lot of ground...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Hello, I am new here

Welcome Zeek!
    Since you already play guitar, you know that having the instrument properly set up makes a huge difference in how it plays and how much fun you have with it. Because of the double...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman 515 vs J Bovier F5t

I can also speak favorably for the Eastman 515. I've played a couple of them at a local store that sounded and played really well. There was a 515V they had a couple of years ago that was so great I...
  19. Re: Strap for a Strad-ol-Lin? There's no strap button.

Ugh :( Strap around the headstock? - Drives me nuts whether it's a mando or a guitar. Just doesn't feel right.
    Ugh :( Strap under the fretboard extension? - So esthetically displeasing it makes...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: SIMPLE Editing Software for PC

Don, nice job with Blue Bayou, and a fine example of getting the job done with the basic tools at hand. Thanks for sharing!
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Goodbye Sugar Hello Fiber

Maybe more fiber in their diet at Gibson would help their attitude. :)
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Levin Aristocrat 2-Point, circa 1945

Looks pretty and sounds great!
    It appears to be super clean from the photos.
    Congrats and thanks for sharing.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: "Duck Wash" ( Original )

Nice tune, and the photos were cool too. :)
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Jethro Burns at Adler House, 1985

Amazing. I've seen bits & pieces of that Adler House show before - I'm glad I took this time to watch it start to finish. One thing that is really cool about this video is that Paul Goelz got some...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Kelley two-point mandolin

Thanks Skip! Funny thing is, I think that's the second time you've answered that for me. :redface:
    I started learning it from your video, so hopefully I'll remember it this time.
    Turns out I...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4