Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Two G Major Scale Open String Studies

Hey y'all,

I've been wanting to make a few videos that highlight techniques I work on in the practice room and with my students. The idea is to cover concepts that I hope pickers will find...
  2. Re: Learning multiple instruments at once? Am I crazy?

All the answer you need.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: "What Nobody Tells Beginners"

Back when I was 20, after 7 years of religiously studying the art, I received my Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do. One day our Master Instructor told us that all we needed to learn we had been shown in our...
  4. Replies
    Views

"What Nobody Tells Beginners"

I’m not sure where I was first exposed to this; it may have been here on the Café. The original context is storytelling and the creative process. But it applies quite well to folks starting out on...
  5. FREE ebook: Learning Mandolin: a Genre-Hopping Approach

Hi!

So, I'm giving away my first (slightly abridged) mandolin ebook on my website.

It's mostly aimed at beginners but covers a number of different genres, ideas and techniques to keep things...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Prodigious and Sophisticated Musicians

I was once told that practice does not make perfect. Practice makes permanent. With enough practice you can learn to do something perfectly wrong.

I would venture to say that correct guidance and...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Ever have one of those days?

I have been having 'one of those days' since I picked up my first instrument in 1978 . . . .
  8. Replies
    Views

Astoria, OR TGG June 8, 9.

Anyone else going to the tenor guitar gathering in Astoria, Oregon tomorrow, June 8th? I’ll be there about 10 am, and will be in Gerry Carthy’s Irish trad class at one. I’ll be bringing one of my...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Amusing story

Great story. I have a similar one. Several actually. About 5 years ago, a new restaurant called Mediterraneo opened in our town. My wife had eaten there a couple of times and one evening ordered from...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Metronome use question???

Keep working with it. You need to get to the point that you're not thinking so much about it, instead you're just synchronizing your actions in time with it.
    ----
    I did think of one suggestion that...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Are you a mandolin picker?

I'm a plectrumer.:))
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing with Feeling

I'm no expert on the subject, but my first question would be: what are you feeling when you play? I sing many folk songs, and sometimes find that I do better if I remember to take a few seconds and...
  13. Replies
    Views

When you beat your foot, play to your foot like a metronome. I watch too many people beat their foot to the music and change tempo's like crazy. Your foot is the downbeat of the conductor, when it...
  14. Replies
    Views

Hey Drew! IMO, good timing is one of the big necessities for a musician - and I’d tend to disagree that playing in time makes a musician sound robotic. Playing robotically makes a musician sound...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin, fundamental requirement?

Local venue? Norfolk, Virginia?

Perhaps it could be a geographical anomaly? Some line-ups may be geographically based ... for instance, I heard that if you're gonna play in Texas, you gotta have...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin, fundamental requirement?

My only requirement for music is that I enjoy it. Don't get your blood pressure up over labels. Either enjoy the music or choose not to listen.
  17. Re: Column: Beyonce's Message and What It Means for Bluegrass

I did click the link and I did read the article. I also clicked on the videos within the link.

It's probably my fault rather than the fault of the article, but I'm not sure I understand the point...
  18. Re: Column: Writing About Bluegrass, Warts and All

:popcorn:
  19. Re: Let’s talk about this guy learning blues guitar in a month.

Who declared him an expert in a month? Himself? I know guitar players who talk of bluegrass being so simple that they became BGguitarist in a short time but they were a legend in their own mind.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Instantly absorbing tunes

Well, we all have slightly different ways of best learning music. Some learn best by hearing a melody over and over, some by reading it off a page, some by remembering the physical motions used to...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Column: Where is Bluegrass Headed?

Regarding Molly Tuttle, Joe K. Walsh, et. al. as "a very good example of the evolution of the music, probably geared toward a more 'listenable' vein than some others as far as I’m concerned"

The...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Why old time and bluegrass are not the same.

I've always felt that the way music is continually changing is one of the very best things about it. Just look at all the ways that Appalachian musicians deconstructed their own Irish and Scottish...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Improving without playing

Harmonica!
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Improving without playing

I'd be careful of "resting fingers above the correct scale and chord positions" -- what did your doctor (and I would presume a physical therapist also) have to say about doing anything with your left...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Column: Where is Bluegrass Headed?

This! (as I believe Tom's generation say).

There is an important place for those who fell in love with a particular musical tradition and work to keep it alive, but it's inevitably a minority and...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3