Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Is it wrong to correct a poster's spelling or grammar?

Just in case this thread gets shut down, having pretty much run its course - though I'm glad these issues have gotten a chance to be discussed, as they are hard to bring up in the context of...
  2. Re: Is it wrong to correct a poster's spelling or grammar?

Wow! -- censored for referencing the Oxford English Dictionary with a link to the proper spelling. :confused: That's certainly a first for me. Anyway, as I'd written, I hope folks are enjoying this...
  3. Re: Is it wrong to correct a poster's spelling or grammar?

<inapproriate>
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Mentioned In Song Lyrics

Live too, eh? How about that? Yes, on the record, as far as I could hear, it's just there for the intro and outro. I dunno maybe not. Here, it's all the way. No relation to the lyrics that I can see....
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Mentioned In Song Lyrics

"Ruben was strumming his painted mandolin..."

"Ruben and Cherise"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YZEEQdpPzg
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Has anyone seen this feature on a neck?

I think we can agree it's a practical feature if positioned properly, but let's not draw to much attention to it or else someone might turn it in to a scroll...
  7. Replies
    Views

It's a thumb stop, mostly used on fiddle's and banjo's.

Dave H
  8. Replies
    Views

Volutes are standard in the violin family and on upright basses. I always thought they were to give you a good anchor point for your left hand and make sure you're in position, and that your hand...
  9. Replies
    Views

most of my three dozen or so mandolins have the "thumb bump" I feel that it does add strength to the end of the truss channel but it can get left too far up the neck...mine pretty much stop just...
  10. Replies
    Views

In the case of a slot head mandolin, a volute is really the only way to elegantly transition from the thicker head stock to the neck. As stated, it is important that the volute not interfere with the...
  11. Replies
    Views

As previously stated, this is a volute. Its purpose is to strengthen the area at the top of the neck and prevent the headstock from breaking off if the instrument takes a fall. 70s Gibson mandolins...
  12. Re: Has anyone seen this feature on a neck?

both my mandolins have it. You're a brave person to accuse the luthier of those two instruments of building an inferior instrument mtucker... ;-)
  13. Thread: Espnola

by almeriastrings
    Replies
    Views

Re: Espnola

Bears a striking similarity to some of the late 1970's to early 80's 'Aria' 2-pointers. The model prefix, 'AM' also suggests a possible Aria origin ('Aria Mandolin').
  14. Replies
    Views

I am currently building a A5 copy for a customer of his old KETTLER F5. it has an unusual volute on the neck that i have to recreate.124108

walter "JUNE" mandolins and guitars
  15. Replies
    Views

I have seen and played mandolins that had it, but it was above the nut and out of the way. That one appears to extend too far down into the neck.
  16. Replies
    Views

I think a volut is a problem only when it it postitioned too far up the neck. Otherwise they work out fine.
  17. Replies
    Views

Everette Kettler did that on his mandolins.
  18. Replies
    Views

Gibson started adding neck volutes on their electric guitars in the '70s because they were doing so many warranty repairs for broken necks. The real problem was their truss rod channel was too deep...
  19. Replies
    Views

I have this on my Fylde OM and I had it on the banjo before that. It never presented an obstacle to playing, and I never thought there was any other way to be, for a neck. It helps me feel where the...
  20. Replies
    Views

I had a Morgan Monroe wide-nut with one of those. It was very uncomfortable for me. Other than that, it was a wonderful instrument. That was however, one of the big reasons I sold it.
  21. Replies
    Views

Or not.
  22. Replies
    Views

Don't take it personally, but to me, it's a tell tale sign of other shortcomings in the instrument.:( buy a good mandolin that's constructed properly.
  23. Replies
    Views

Like Bob, I think of that as a Gibson banjo feature, though it was and is used on some (but not all) Gibson guitar necks. It finds it's way into mandolin necks from time to time from various makers,...
  24. Replies
    Views

A common "critter" on banjo necks, but I rarely see them on mandolins. Like Marty says, they may have some (debatable) purpose for structural integrity of the neck where the truss rod pocket is...
  25. Re: Has anyone seen this feature on a neck?

That's a neck volute, more like what you might see on a Gibson electric guitar. I agree that it can make it uncomfortable on a mandolin, since you need to put your thumb higher up sometimes to play...
Page 1 of 2 1 2