Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Difference between J74 strings and EJ74 strings ?

Good one sunburst! Yes mandoforumid they are the same string just different packaging. No more strings in the paper sleeves and slipped in the clear cover. I just talked to my rep and the 'E' stands...
  2. Re: Single Mic Bluegrass: This is How It's Done!

I really disagree with this. I have been working with various bands for the past 15 years that all used the one mic set-up. I had been used to multi-micing for years prior to that and was hesitant,...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Jacob Jolliff

Jacob's playing is astounding. As good as he is in picking leads, his intricate comping leaves me with my jaw hanging open.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Jacob Jolliff

Jacob Jolliff is the one of the best mandolin players on the planet, and most certainly the best of his generation. I watched him win Winfield a couple of years ago... I swear, I don't think Chris...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Musician's Friend, the Joke.

I'm a big fan of MusiciansFriend. I used their mandos when I wrote my ebook on mando setup. I tend not to get upset about price matching when it's a matter of a couple of dollars. They have made...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Hit an Old-Time Jam

I love jams like you describe. Almost perfect. Perfect would be if I did not know about 2/3 of the tunes, but was strong on the remaining 1/3. I don't know if I would want to stick to Mississippi...
  7. Re: Online Mandolin Lessons: What are my options?

I'd also recommend the ArtistWorks program to anyone. It's great (I've seen many of the videos and helped out with creating some of the written materials) and you can use the videos according to...
  8. I've Enjoyed Matt Flinner's Bluegrass 101 Class

Cafe Friends,

Our last session in Matt Flinner's Bluegrass Mandolin 101 class will be this Friday night. While I knew most of the songs that we covered in this class (or versions of those songs),...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Is it just me or is a Banjo an obnoxious sounding

Ran through the old posts on this thread, one from John McGann:

It's the driver, not the car.

Years and years ago, picked with one Eric Welty. Made an impression on me, cause he was a good...
  10. Re: Who plays an A style in bluegrass or even old time music?

I wonder why you felt it necessary to include that last sentence. I read a certain amount of comments/complaints on these boards about people looking down, especially in bluegrass, on those who play...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Laminated back and sides bad?

Most of the sound of any acoustic instrument come from the top. This is axiomatic.

For decades, Gibson (Kalamazoo era) cranked out guitars with laminated backs and/or sides and never told anyone!...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: CMA awards.

Music now days is just all about rhythm, most of the words just can`t be heard or understood....Instruments are suppose to accompny the vocals not the other way around...

I`m glad some others...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Only four genuine old time instruments

It might be time to come up with another term to describe music made by twenty adult beginners grinding out Angeline. However....

Okeh was issuing records on its "Old-Time Music" series beginning...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Experimental Bouzouki

Lovely! I really like the simple, elegant aesthetic. Very saz-like in appearance.

I can see how the instrument would be quite loud under the ear, but how's the projection out front or across the...
  15. Replies
    Views

Rob's Mandolin Set-up eBook

Just got this today from Rob.

Add me to the ever-growing list of people that are bowled over by it.

Wonderfully thorough while being incredily easy to understand. Even I can follow it!

To...
  16. Re: Why did bluegrass come to dominate American string band music

I have to admit, (and this shows that I am indeed on the verge of old fogeyhood): one of the things I like about bluegrass is the tradition that the musicians are (for the most part) formally...
  17. Re: Why did bluegrass come to dominate American string band music

I find it kind of annoying that people make broad generalizations (like alligators being an evolutionary dead end--really?). But that doesn't mean that I won't joyfully join in.

I agree that it...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Blankets

Yes, it is. The reason for that (at least as far as I was told many years ago by a violin maker in Germany) was that its function was to prevent rosin from 'gooing up' the top of the case and...