Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Andy Statman's Opry debut

Thanks for sharing that news! There’s a thread about Andy and Jake Eddy here:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/160469-Andy-Statman-and-Jake-Eddy-in-State-College-PA

Though not at the...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Golden Gate "Clown Barf" Extra Stiff Pick

Main advantage, easier to see when you drop it, Over regular Dawg/GG.
  3. From Tablature to Standard Music notation OH My

Well after several years of nothing but Tab I finally bought a fiddle and had
    no choice but to start to learn to read music. Since taking my fiddle lesson and starting
    to understand all the symbols...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Thomastiks on a Northfield Calhoun?

Interesting observations about how little noticeable difference there is between PBs and TI’s from the listener’s perspective in a band setting. I’ve had no experience with TI’s till now, either as a...
  5. Re: multi-instrumentalists: how do you manage your time?

Ah the thread has taken a more serious air. I'll be earnest.

It helps me to have everything out, at hand, in my music room. Cases are stored elsewhere. Instruments are scattered everywhere - a...
  6. Re: multi-instrumentalists: how do you manage your time?

Edit: Upon responding, I hadn't yet seen stevedenver's post directly above; he must have been reading my mind! I now return you to our regularly-scheduled musical blather:...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Andy Statman Bought A Loar F5!

This thread made me put on Old Brooklyn, which for some reason I hadn't heard for ages. Ten years since its release.
    I was surprised to see that the recently sadly deceased Byrone Berline was on it....
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Can I get more JazzMando picks?

The JazzMando Pro Plec is still my favorite.

Jamie
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Andy Statman Bought A Loar F5!

It's hard not to think of an Excalibur analogy.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Ry Cooder isolated mandolin Love in Vain

"Fat Man" by Jethro Tull, not "Fat Man In The Bathtub." Little Feat is one of my favorite bands, but their mandolin content is low. And later. ;)

I didn't think any disrespect or disparagement...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Education (trip to Carter's)

Walter Carter runs the coolest shop in the country!
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Where’s the easy-does-it method?

I would suggest the OP listen to Chris Thile explain that this a dangerous misconception rather than adopt this advice. Fingers should be bent, strings fretted with tips, not pads. I don’t mean to...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: High marks for Schaller GrandTunes

I went with the grommet style bushings for a while until it dawned on me that modern bushings are a huge improvement over the old timey ones. They were more decoration than anything else. I think I...
  14. Any atheist / agnostic Bluegrasser's out there?

Greetings,
    I am looking to connect with like minded atheist / agnostic Bluegrasser's. If you are out there please let me know. I have made this request on other forums but it keeps getting...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Need Help with String Choice for Sweaty Hands

Any coated string should work fine, provided that you regularly clean them. Even the D'Addario phosphor bonze ones -- getting the coated versions, that is (EXP, XS, or XT). Or Monel, if you like the...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: The wear of celluloid

I lose 'em before they get the chance to wear out...

Which keeps me from buying $35 picks, since I'd agonize over losing one of those.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Tipping a Luthier

In my experience people who think they're "better" than me never tipped me! I worked all kinds of service jobs when I was living in the States. One of them was as a delivery driver, delivering boxes...
  18. Replies
    Views

Poll: Re: Poll - Gold vs Silver

Same as above. It really depends on the finish of the instrument. I'm typically one for silver, but for a lovely mando with rich brown and orange/yellow tones, I prefer gold.
  19. Replies
    Views

Poll: Re: Poll - Gold vs Silver

Nothing Better Than Gold
  20. Replies
    Views

As a luthier I can tell you that it is apparently not customary to tip a luthier. Once in a while someone pays me more than I ask for a repair, and even one or twice for a custom instrument, but it...
  21. Replies
    Views

I guess I am fortunate.

My husband tips the guys who do our lawn, snow removal and landscaping on both out properties (actually anyone who comes to the house to do work). When we need them,...
  22. PETER GREEN (Fleetwood Mac) R.I.P. no manod

Of all the Brit guitar blues players (Beck, Clapton, Page, Gallagher, etc) of the late 60s - early 70s, Peter Green was the guy for me. The Peter Green/Danny Kirwan lineup of Fleetwood Mac was one...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: New Vessel Loar A5 tribute

Thanks everyone. There’s always so much to learn when you try to copy something. It’s an exercise that improves your ability to see something. Looking and seeing are two different things. The...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Keep Rigel or learn on different instrument?

It’s your mandolin now, you can do with it what you want. That great uncle would probably prefer that you modify it and play the snot out of it than stick it in a closet.

I agree with those...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: I Hate Playing Chords

Steve, I do understand moveable chords. In fact, a teacher in my area has had me playing a barre A chord, along with D and E with the same shape. I detest that barre A. I get no D string sound at...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4