Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Petersen Octave Mandolin

Also, I settled on phosphor bronze for the wound strings.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Petersen Octave Mandolin

I own a Petersen level 2 (22.5’ scale length) that I purchased new from Gryphon around 2008. I spent some time working out what strings to use and ultimately used the gauges that were on it when I...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of your band!!

Here is a photo of our family band, “Painted Trillium,” in our natural habitat: the Maryland Renaissance Festival.

4. Replies
    Views

Re: Battery generator to run an amp

I have been using a Behringer 1002B battery powered mixer and a pair of Roland Cube Street EX battery powered amps for a number years now. Sound is great and powerful enough for a wide variety of...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Snark vs Korg chromatic tuner

The high failure rate and inaccuracy of the Snarks (as also mentioned by previous posters) I owned drove me to find something else. I stumbled upon the Korg Sledgehammer Pro and never looked back. A...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: In my never ending quest...diagnosis

As others have said, pain means something is wrong. Rest will help heal the injury, but the pain may return because the cause of the pain has not been corrected. How to correct the problem depend on...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Bouzouki description on shipping labels

How about octave mandolin? Bouzoukis can be seen as a long scale octave mandolin, so I think simply declaring it an OM would work.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Tailpiece for flat top Octave Mandolin

I have a flat-topped Petersen OM on which I replaced the stamped tailpiece with an Allen TR-3.

http://www.allenguitar.com/tpcs.htm (The page shows other options too.)

It is a easy switch as all...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Short mic stand?

mcgroup53, I have been using a DR low profile stand for years for the same purpose you describe. It is a bit pricey, but the build quality is remarkably above the low cost stands. It had good weight...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor Guitar Gallery & Sightings

I attended SERFA’s annual meeting this past weekend and had the pleasure of seeing Lowell Levinger perform at several showcases with the pictured 5 string tenor guitar. A quick search...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: It's official - ZOUK!

Roger, I agree with you that trying to get everyone on board with calling an Irish bouzouki a long scale OM is not desirable, practical, or possible after so many years. That is what I call it too....
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: It's official - ZOUK!

Allen, I agree with you 100%! Frankly, to the extend that idea, I am uncertain why a five course OM is called a cittern (which is really the name of a different instrument). Seven and eight string...
  13. Thread: Disc Makers?

by Rob Meyer
    Replies
    Views

Re: Disc Makers?

I've used Disc Makers twice. No problems and on time. Just make certain the sound files and cover art are in the formats they require and everything will go smoothly.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Battery busking/session amp.

I have a Roland Cube Street EX (http://www.rolandus.com/products/cube_street_ex/) that I like a lot. Rather pricey, but has very nice sound and input options. My daughter uses it most of the time and...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Renaissance festival music

Forgot to give some specific examples. I'll mention a few to give you some ideas of what works at our festival: Greensleeves (of course!), Harvest Home Horpipe, Over the Waterfall, Scotch Mist, Banks...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Finish safe straps

Another vote for Lakota Leathers straps. Have had them continuously on a Petersen OM and a Taylor guitar (214) for at least 5 years with no ill effects. I use to use a Taylor Guitar leather strap...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Twin neck cbom

Here is a novel solution: the roto-neck. I would think you could have two different scale lengths by placing the nut on each side at different positions and adjusting the frets accordingly.

18. Replies
    Views

Re: Twin neck cbom

There is another option for a double neck instrument that is not so wide, such as the guitar(s) that Thomas Bresh has. Anyone seen one like this built with mandolin family instruments?
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Bouzouki & mandolin gig bag

Like Allen, I carry my instruments (OM, banjo and guitar) in gig bags. However, the ones I use are not light weight, inexpensive gig bags. I use ones made by Reunion Blues (the older style, I like...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Trinity College mods follow-up?

Found a slip of paper and it looks like I used 40 wound, 26 wound, 16 plain, 12 plain at some point. Think it is close and possibly what I finally settled on.