Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: The Shuffle of the Pick - 12 Old-Time Fiddle Tunes

Great News to share with everybody in Mandolin Cafe land...
    my old time mandolin book is now available on Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BFZYM20/ref=cm_sw_r_fa_dp_hjHUwb0R7RXDW
    It took awhile...
  2. Re: Blue Chips: Who's migrated to non-beveled (round bevel)?

Oh for the love of God.

Got the shiny new BC in the mail today, and all I can say is I HATE it.

The tone from this round-beveled TAD80-1R sounds muffled and soft and muted. The rounded point...
  3. Replies
    Views

Bluegrass Beginners Tips

The current issue of Premier Guitar has a short article with tips for beginners interested in bluegrass. His instrument is guitar, but these apply equally well to the mandolin . . .
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Classic pearl celluloid picks

I wouldn't spend $1500-$3000 on a mandolin if I could buy an equal one for $100. That's where the difference is. To me the question is why should I spend $35 for a pick that IMHO is no better than...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: How do I play faster?

sbhikes, I wonder if you are asking a different question than what has been answered.

Some have a hard time playing tunes without mistakes, in which case it's about practicing correctly while...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: How do I play faster?

Use this recipe:

1. Play something only as fast as you can without making any mistakes
    2. Play it a little bit faster and see what passages cause you to make mistakes
    3. Play those error-prone...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Another type of musical notation.

Three idioms which nicely show a perception shift over the years, which music underwent in parallel, so to speak.

Computer literate used to be someone who could debug a 64K assembler program...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: "Opening Up With Time"

So there are two questions here: the first is whether an instrument's tone changes significantly over time, and the second is, if so, what are the physics behind those changes?

With respect to the...
  9. Re: The Shuffle of the Pick - 12 Old-Time Fiddle Tunes

Hi folks just signed on to the Cafe,I have been an avid reader for years but have not had much time for posting.
    I am very excited that a few mandolin players are interested in Shuffle of The Pick...
  10. Re: The Shuffle of the Pick - 12 Old-Time Fiddle Tunes

from Adam Tanner's Facebook page:

"Second;those non Apple users interested in purchasing the book may convert it from its native EPub to just about any format using a free software program called...
  11. Re: Pictures of my tools for carving mandolin plates

137181 137180

137182 137183

Here is a modern version of the tool… a small batch of these were made in England 15 or so years back and I was fortunate enough to grab one. I fantasize making...
  12. Re: Pictures of my tools for carving mandolin plates

You also need to rough out the inside of the plate first as the punch will only penetrate a few mm. It's really more for the fine-tuning of the thicknesses.
  13. Re: Pictures of my tools for carving mandolin plates

Peter,
    You carve the outside first to the shape you desire. Then you invert the plate and place various points of the outside on the point of the knob in the center. You press down the lever and the...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Flat Wound

I'm not sure how a post like this does anyone any good at all. The OP just wants to try flat wounds. Why post such negativity. He may love them or may hate them. He'll decide that on his own.
    As for...