Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Ovation USA closes down

My memory of the Ovation Company in New Hartford is connected to the deep pool (known as Factory Pool) on a sharp bend in the Farmington River, in the catch and release area where one could fish all...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: What song made you want to play Mandolin?

Ry Cooder's Billy The Kid. I too waited a long time to take it up.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Avi Avital at Carnegie Hall

I met Avi last Friday at checkin at Tegel Airport in Berlin. In the checkin line, he looked back at me and said "looks like a lot of mandolins on this flight," as he had two cases. We talked about...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: In Case humidifiers

I use these. You can cut them smaller to fit your cases. They are gel-based, so they don't leak water, and they aim for 50% rh in the case.
  5. Replies
    Views

Goat Rodeo Tour

We saw the Goats on Thursday at Tanglewood, in Western MA, on the first of a 12(?) date national tour. The audience was mostly classical series ticket holders, with no experience with bluegrass. They...
  6. Replies
    Views

Joe Walsh & Courtney Hartman

This from a workshop at Grey Fox last month:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_aHpcUMCZY
  7. Re: Don Stiernberg and Dudu Maia at Old Town School April 20

Saw Dudu in the Trio Braziliero last night in a house concert. The Trio is Dudu, Douglas Lora on 7 string, and Alexandre Lora on padeiro. They mostly played from their recently released CD, (which is...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile and Brad Mehldau

Awesome review in the NYT today, certainly makes me wish I'd been there:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/11/arts/music/chris-thile-and-brad-mehldau-at-bowery-ballroom.html?_r=0
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Skip Gorman - Monroesque

Skip responded quickly to my inquiry.

"Truth is that most of that MONROESQUE recording was done with a top-of-the-line Japanese Ventura that I totally faked up in the 80's. I paid $300. for it ,...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: String recommendations for a 1928 Gibson A

Ive been unhappy with every set of D'Addario strings I've ever bought, including the J74s, JS74s, EXP74s and J75s for my mandolins, J72s for my mandola, ECB82s for my NS bass, J69s for my banjo, and...
  11. Replies
    Views

Hamilton de Holanda Solo Concert

I saw Hamilton play a solo show last night, and am uploading some iphone video. The show was 2 hours of magic. Ham was in a zone, not speaking much, playing standards from Pixinguinha, and many of...
  12. Hamilton de Holanda in Fall River, MA, September 2012

I am pleased to report that Hamilton de Holanda will be appearing 9/11/12 at the Narrows Center for the Arts in Fall River, MA. www.ncfta.org. This is his first appearance in the US in 4 or so years,...
  13. Thread: 45 Minutes

by R. Kane
    Replies
    Views

45 Minutes

I went back to my old haunts today for a stop at AcousticMusic.org, a checkup with my dentist, then to our favorite coffee shop for a few pounds of beans. On the way out, I walked by a young man with...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Another new person ---HELP---- post. *Long*

You might have heard of this resource. It is an old time music jam with a lot of history. They offer chord charts for all the tunes played at their jams.
  15. Thread: Doc

by R. Kane
    Replies
    Views

Re: Doc

I was in Boone NC last week, and stopped for this photo of the statue of Doc. Lot of love for him here.