Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Owners of a NorthField Big Mon (did you compare to the F5S al

Daryl - I shall henceforth refers to MAS by its new name - 'Daryl's Syndrome' :grin:

Seriously though - try to have both mandolins in hand and do a thorough comparison before deciding. Would hate...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Changes in availability of Weber Instruments

For those with short memories, or those who are newer here, there was was a great deal of discussion when Two Old Hippies acquired Breedlove, and again when they acquired Weber. You can search the...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F-9 neck sanding question

There's not a lot of finish on the F9. By the time you scrape it, then use something to protect the wood you wouldn't be any better than you are now. If it were a heavy lacquer it might be...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: A simple plea to all mando-sellers

Good luck.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: A simple plea to all mando-sellers

Mandolin owners frequently don't know a lot of these things.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Praise for Steve Smith

I concur with all the positive comments. Steve is a great luthier. I own a Red Line A5 and use it as my main instrument. It's loud, super easy to play, and sonorous. I highly recommend his...
  7. Re: Loar LM 600 with or without Cumberland Bridge?

The CA bridge is a worthwhile upgrade. You can also order fro Steve Smith. He is also a dealer for The Loar instruments and can install his bridge for you.
  8. Re: Can't seem to get a grip on my pick, it's always wandering of

I lick my fingers and wipe off the excess on my pants. Sounds gross but it works. I use a fender extra heavy on guitar so I know that it works for that pick. I used to have a big problem with my...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Cumberland bridge vs StewMac

I recently acquired a 2004 Prucha A-style Deluxe mandolin. At SPBGMA, I had Steve and crew do a compete setup, fret dressing, and fit it with a new CA bridge. I'm not sure how long it took, but the...
  10. Replies
    Views

I replaced the original bridge on my The Loar LM 600 with a Cumberland Acoustics bridge. I'll agree they are very high quality and much more robustly built than most. And I could definitely hear an...
  11. Replies
    Views

In the three bridges I bought recently from StewMac, the threads were the problem. Loose. it's bad enough that I won't buy any more. The holes in the saddle are a little larger than necessary to...
  12. Replies
    Views

I have used the StewMac bridges for a long time. I think they changed them in the last few years? The biggest problem I have with the StewMac bridges is the threaded post and knurled thumbwheel...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Oricco tailpiece

I have changed the tailpiece on 2 previous mandolins and never heard the slightest difference and have always doubted that the tailpiece made a difference in sound, so when I put this one on and the...
  14. you just got to watch this, all of it, especially around 3:15

just hold on to something and watch, i will say no more, wow-the tool pile at 3:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x50_JIpaQY

this is actually pretty cool, keep this for last

15. Replies
    Views

Re: Is it necessary to humidify after a few years?

I'm really surprised that this question comes up year after year. It's like asking "do I really need to change the oil in my car?"

It's a simple and proven fact that many instruments have cracked...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: professional setup?

I will never understand how a Asian company can make a mandolin with fit and finish very good inlaid work beautiful and can't cut two slots in a nut to ride to the front or even be the same depth....
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: best new f-5 style bridge (arched)

Mike called us this morning and we are making a new bridge for him right now. As many of you know, jet black ebony is getting hard to come by these days, but we continue to do the best we can in...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: When you start to get worse

It could well be that you are not getting worse but your discernment is getting better.

Try not to overthink it. You can think yourself into a corner. Just play. And then play some more later....
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: When you start to get worse

I've experienced similar. Can be caused by a variety of issues:
    1) trying to play too fast
    2) tired muscles
    3) tired brain
    4) trying to learn too many new tunes whereas previous tunes not quite...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Suggestions for Lefty Mando, around ~1000.

As a fello lefty the best advice I can give you is to play right handed. It makes a lot of sense in the long run. Difficult to find left handed Mandos. Typical they are not symmetrical.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: The Mandolin Store

Our shipping rates are very competitive - I have checked. We have a system in place that allows us to toggle between Fed Ex and USPS Priority Mail and its all automated. This allows us to be able...
  22. Re: Sarah Jarosz uses Elixir Nanowebs....anybody like them????

I have never understood why it's important what some professional likes or uses in instruments strings picks etc. Do we think that if we buy the product we will play like them? I use what I like and...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield A5 Master Model

It is difficult to remove our biases from any subjective discussion (indeed, it is probably impossible), but I really tried to be objective as I evaluated multiple mandolins. My preformed bias led...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: When to Change Strings

Some folks do it when they start to lose volume. The bass strings will start to sound thuddy instead of crisp, and the treble strings will start to sound thin and twangy.

But for me, I change...
  25. Re: Breedlove production moving to China -- Will Weber be next?

Hey fellow mandolin warriors. To put fears to rest. There are no intensions of ever moving any part of Weber to China. We will remain a domestically built family of instruments.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4