Search:

Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Strategies (or contraptions) to tame the flying fingers?

A few thoughts - hope it helps :)

1. Play major scales but do not lift your fingers on the way up the scale - if your playing an A major scale for example, your 1st finger plays the A on the 2nd...
  2. Re: Strategies (or contraptions) to tame the flying fingers?

Relax your hand on a table or the arm of a chair, lift your index finger, curve it and press the tip for a second as you would when playing, lay the finger down and relax it, do the same with the...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: I miss the Classified Guitar posts....

Think of the time you save not drooling over guitars you’re not going to buy…
    Take a stroll outside in the sunshine, smell the flowers, greet small woodland creatures…

: )

Kirk
  4. Current state of the art flat top mandolin

This is my latest 4th generation flat top mandolin. This is the culmination of 12 years of work improving the sound of the flat top mandolin. It all started from the fact that it is possible to...
  5. 12 THINGS I Wish I Knew as a Beginner Mandolinist(interesting vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNxkFDDObL0
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice on mandolin Upgrade

Checkout the Breedlove A's. The American made ones have a radiused fingerboard that is a bit wider than many alternatives in that range. I know a guy with two of them and the both sound very good...
  7. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

Being relatively close to Lowe Vintage and having taken a couple of trips to Carter's and Gruhn's, I've been able to get my hands on some good 'uns. I've played three Loars (two 1923s and a 1924). 2...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Where are the Mandola Books?

Tenor Banjo music is now written an octave higher than it sounds, i.e. The low C on the mandola is notated as middle C. That makes tenor banjo music accessible to mandola-ists
    Greg Keeing has...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Finally, a Lyon & Healy Set

Wow!
  10. Replies
    Views

Finally, a Lyon & Healy Set

It took a good long while and more wheeling and dealing (and spousal apologizing) than I've ever done, but I've managed to put together a full Lyon & Healy Quartet.

All are player grade - the...
  11. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

My Girouard! And for ones I don't own: A great F2 in a shop once, a Gilchrist Model 1 that was the business, a lovely Collings MT2V that I was sorely tempted to buy but didn't.
  12. Replies
    Views

NMD - A new Griffith Loar copy

This week I took possession of this fantastic new mandolin made by Dave Thormahlen in Corvallis Oregon. Dave is mainly a harp maker, but he makes a couple mandolins a year. This one is a copy of...
  13. Replies
    Views

Slowplayers.Org. Is Back on Line

Glad to have it back
    https://slowplayers.org/1295-2/
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Birthday Doc Watson

While Doc was the Rosetta Stone for flatpicking for folks from my generation, I'll always remember his fingerpicking.

There's a couple of million of us who can double-thumb a guitar pretty well,...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Demonstrating a mandolin

Well, there, then!
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Arthritis

I have rheumatoid arthritis and going fine on MTX, but the pain is caused by an inflammation which must be adressed separately, in my case by injection of corticoid meds directly into the affected...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Spinal Tap - Stonehenge

Once again, it's an important date in history:

March 2, 1984 - Mockumentary This is Spinal Tap released. Remember D minor is the saddest of all keys.
  18. Replies
    Views

They want you to imagine yourself playing awesome stuff on their mandolin. It’s the same reason commercials for SUVs show the car riding in rugged, cool, off-road places instead of the driver go to...
  19. Replies
    Views

This is a good suggestion that I really never thought of... I'm going to bring this up next filming.
  20. Thread: Arthritis

by GMorgan
    Replies
    Views

I've been dealing with psoriatic arthritis for many years, mostly just trying to keep my hands limber and taking Tylenol on occasion. I think playing the mandolin has helped keep my hands more agile...
  21. Replies
    Views

I suspect that this will sound ridiculous…. i wash my dishes by hand before I play. That loosens my stiff joints enough to get them working fairly well. There is no good answer as the meds either are...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Artistworks vs Peghead Nation

Jumping in to this topic from a few years ago as I have been a member of AW for several years with Mr. Sutton and the last year with Mrs. Hull and just now looking at Peghead nation. The issue I have...
  23. Thread: Arthritis

by Ranald
    Replies
    Views

It's a highly individual journey. What works for me won't necessarily work for you. I use Voltaren and arnica gel, which varies greatly in price from brand to brand. I also do hand exercises,...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolin Cafe Hat

We'd entertain a batch of khaki in the same unstructured style, just because it's a popular color. Those probably won't get here until we're closer to selling out the black ones which are about 60%...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Technique adjustments

Changing technique is both the worst and best thing. It sucks having to relearn whatever it is, but it's usually followed by attaining new abilities that weren't accessible before. Most musicians...
Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 4