Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: heavy vs light bouzouki

In my experience, production instruments in the lower end of the price spectrum (don’t mean that as a knock, I’ve owned several that qualify) tend to be be heavier built than higher quality...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: heavy vs light bouzouki

Good question Garry. I've always had the view that the lighter the instrument the better, however, I'm very lucky to be the proud owner of 2 Nigel Forster bouzoukis. One is a standard shaped arch top...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuning an Algerian Mondole as 'cello

I've played a few Algerian made mandols, one of my friends is a Amazigh musician and is a master manol player.

His are all 4 course instruments, tuned DADG, the ADG being the same pitch as a...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Forster Guitar Zouk Arrived

Sent you a message Garry :)
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: 5-string CGDA nylon-string cello guitar

I put this one together from a six string body, I will give it a go with nylon first & then see if I can build a fan braced version.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: new custom Apc guitar zouk

Splendid! Yours made it through the post! :whistling:
  7. Replies
    Views

Savage! Hope you can get a clip out Garry!
  8. Replies
    Views

Congrats Garry! Its a beauty!
  9. Replies
    Views

Nice. Get her recorded for us.... !
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Om capo problem

I've got a draw full of capos (even though I rarely use them) because I've never found one that I really like. They all have issues with throwing the instrument out of tune. However, I think that the...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Guitar body zouk

As a guy who has followed Rob's quest closely for some time now, I have to back him on this. He started with a 3-course flatback, ordered the cittern from the same luthier, and it was of shockingly...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Trillium cittern played by Carol Coronis

Squire Maguire's in Limerick - Thur and Fri nights...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing songs on the zouk

Check out this link Garry.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Dónal Lunny's "Fairfield Mirage"

OK. What the hell. Apparently there has been no objection to the videos being on YouTube, so here goes:

1. at pitch in G, and 2. in bouzouki tab with "D" fingering but capo'd to the 5th fret...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Trinity College mods follow-up?

I had finger pain a few years ago and a friend, who is a Naturopathic Physician, advised me to take vitamin B6 daily. problem solved for me. It might help you. Let us know.
  16. Re: Who else writes actual songs on their CBOM?

Hell yeah... :)
    I will try & post something, but waaaay too tired to concentrate on a flawless-for-the-camera piece at the moment... :)
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: my heart's tonight in ireland

https://soundcloud.com/corncrake/heart1

My version; capo at 5th fret on a Fylde bouzouki, key of G, GDAE tuning…. I usually sing it too but at the moment I’m sober….
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: bouzouki string height

10, 16, 26 and 46 unison on mine, the last two pairs bronze wound.
    String height on mine at the 12th fret is about 4mm.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: bouzouki string height

Garry
    I think you should contact Tom, 5 or 6 mm is way to high. String height at the 12th on my Buchanan zouk is between 2mm and 3mm. That is a 2p coin (about 2mm) passes under them but a 1 pound...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: andy irvine palying waldzither

Lovely stuff. They are not actually playing chords as such there, but interweaving countermelodies. Their playing could be 'rationalised' into a set of chords, although, because of the fluid nature...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: planxtys The Blacksmith

I think that mandolinist extraordinaire Luke Plumb may have transcribed the whole first Planxty album at some time in the past - you can try him - he's on facebook.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: planxtys The Blacksmith

Check out this link to the SAW group...

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?do=discuss&discussionid=1339
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: harmony bowl back

You paid the right price. String it up and play it. If not you can prob sell it for a little bit more, maybe 100 euros or so. They are not bad, just not amazing. Do you have other mandolins?