Search:

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Jazz with Andy Statman

Hi all mandojazzers

I think I just made a new word. Anyhow I have received an audio course of Jazz with Andy Statman. It feels as if he is in my home with me, teaching me jazz on mandolin!

Such...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Lebanese & Middle Eastern Music

Thank you DavidKOS. The oud tuned in fths as opposed to the fifths of mandolin/mandola.

People speak of mas, I must speak of sas: string acquisition syndrome: would love to touch an oud and one...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Lebanese & Middle Eastern Music

A theoretic discussion but so interesting. I have not reached the levels of some of you here with regard to music theory, but scales and intervals always interest me. Even the size of intervals in...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: The Beatles

Always fun to hear of this group! Paul ringo John George they were the best.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: A brand new mandola!

hi again Dan, Jeff Cowherd makes beautiful instruments!

If I ever get to the US again, I promise to bring her along and perhaps, who knows, maybe I can jam with some mandofriends. Not because...
  6. Replies
    Views

Hi Dan, her name is autumn. You can understand why? Those rich browns and orange colours? <smile> my thanks for your kindly remarks! Very kind.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin vs. Mandola?

Agree with you AllenHopkins: perhaps the head of each family violin related instruments of course, needs our serious reconsideration.
  8. Replies
    Views

Thank you AllenHopkins and Tobin, as always there is something to learn.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Evaluation period

Well perhaps one should also say when is the mandolin-/mandola-playing honeymoon phase over? It is for me the tone and the music! The honeymoon starts anew.
  10. Replies
    Views

Thanks to Allenhopkins: I find mandolin/mandola similar to learn, though one has less learning material. That is in terms of learning material in braille. Having said that I tend to rethink what...
  11. Re: The Top 50 American Rock Bands of All Time acording to Gibson

As a good SA citizen I have to mention Trevor Raven, the SA connection to the band Yes. Played owner of a lonely heart loudly on my earphones, probably not the wisest thing to do. So did not subject...
  12. Re: The Top 50 American Rock Bands of All Time acording to Gibson

Thanks JourneyBear for not tweaking me. As for this discussion, it's fun. Agree with posts on Yes, now I am going to go and put some Yes on my pod and play. Then it's practice for Monday's...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: J Bovier Video sound demos

Hi again all jbovier fans, in a thread weeks ago, "a brand new mandola" I have a photie of my JBovier mandola. I am technically unable to share it here, so even though not the forum for pictures,...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: J Bovier Video sound demos

Love the support for JBovier. Absolutely love my mandolin and mandola bought from him. Great setup, great design and wonderful tone. Always receive loads of compliments on my JBovier instruments!...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Teach your Children: Crosby Stills Nash

Hi again and I meant to say to Barry, I hope all discussion around the song assisted and that you are happily playing "Teach your Children". One of my favourites from Crosby Stills Nash.

Happy...
  16. Replies
    Views

Agree on the sigh part DataNick, but I think Barry started at cry.
    For me the sigh-igh-igh-gh b minor bminor bminor quite a long note then g major and the word and know they love you a and d.
    I...
  17. Replies
    Views

cry is in d
    don't you ever ask them why, why on g
    cry on d major
    just look at them and sigh-igh-igh b minor then to g on the long vowel then and know they love you and starts a major. they love...
  18. Replies
    Views

Hi Roger Moss, yes, it is a good one on strings. At Barry: Just look at them in D major and sigh-hi-I b minor and g major. One has to get the rhythm right there. So my word sigh is on B minor.

19. Replies
    Views

Re: Santa Lucia, mandolin quartet (with score)

Sweet and well played. Will need to work on my tremolo before playing that one!
  20. Replies
    Views

Hi all who responded, I can only get the photie on FB, so if anyone wants to see my mandola, it is on FB under Pasha alden. Unles someone knows how I can get a photo from FB to mandolin café.
  21. Replies
    Views

Oh yes, nomenclature! hmmm. I learned all your names for certain cookies and food when I visited Baltimore and Washington DC recently.

Cannot say I initially knew what a slider, pig-in-a-blanket,...
  22. Replies
    Views

thanks Barry, Hope to pop a picture up soon! Agree, don't dislike mandolin at all, will always play my two mandos, simply love the balance of lower and higher notes of mandola. Read an interesting...
  23. Replies
    Views

A brand new mandola!

Hi mandolin players

So pleased. Received my new JBovier F5 mandola. She is like autumn, dry and rich in tone. Exquisite. Her name is autumn. Beautiful tone and beautiful instrument.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: The pop and chop

Thanks Beanzy, Ivan and Bingoccc. VAluable advice. Will give it a try.

Happy playing!
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: New at Mandolin-question about fingering

Like you I played guitar, however not for 3 decades. I could naturally make the switch a little easier. However, sometimes the guitar fingering still wishes to sneak out. As a few mentioned here, I...
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4