Search:

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. you sell a banjo and have some spare $ so....this F5G pops up

with all the talk of the new Gibsons(i love the Gibson tone and the Dave Harvey models), the new version of the F5G had caught my eye, except i have went to flat boards and 1 11/16" nut widths kinda...
  2. Re: How to blend/smooth transition of nitro to bare wood

My opinion - deal with it until January. You'll probably make it difficult for the speed neck to be done as nicely as possible if you mess with it too much.

If you really feel like you need to do...
  3. Re: How to blend/smooth transition of nitro to bare wood

You could lightly sand it to feather the finish. I would check with whomever is going to do the speed neck before applying any finish.
  4. Re: The virus, the economy, mandolins and you

Playing everyday, but no gigs in sight, some have been postponed but most are just gone. Hat's off to Troy Shellhamer and other healthcare professionals. My brother and his daughters are all in...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: The virus, the economy, mandolins and you

I am a healthcare provider, and still designated an "essential employee," so I keep working, despite being in the high-risk group (65 years old, mild asthma.) I wouldn't have it any other way - I am...
  6. Replies
    Views

Our small rural hospital just got designated as the regional covid19 treatment center. They moved surgery,OB, medsurg, outpt, cardiac studies to another local facility. Working 7 days on with round...
  7. Replies
    Views

To Troy and Em Tee's mom and all the health care workers you're in my prayers. You and all the other essential people out there still working...grocery store, pharmacy, delivery, etc you are the...
  8. Replies
    Views

My mother is an emergency room nurse and I spend most of my time worrying about her. When I'm not worrying about her, I spend the rest of my time worrying about my family and myself. I'm part of the...
  9. Replies
    Views

Best of luck on the front lines. Folks like you are going to make the difference.

Mandolin is important to all of us, but some things are more important.
  10. Replies
    Views

I already work from home so that hasn’t changed. My customers are still operating but at a lower capacity. I’ve been putting off selling a few instruments that I’m not playing and then this hits.... ...
  11. Replies
    Views

I picked up the first instrument I've picked up in a few weeks today. I was playing and singing some songs for my grandsons in Maryland that I haven't seen in a month and a half and won't see for at...
  12. Replies
    Views

Kinda sucked the music out of me at first. I feel it trickling back in a little now. But its just a trickle. At least I hope thats the music. I did write a new song on guitar though in between the...
  13. Replies
    Views

Shout out to Andrew Mowry who took out time from building and with his family has been sewing some masks.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Love Bluegrass but....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCiT0Ebqtys
  15. Replies
    Views

NMD - Northfield F5S

Played one of these when I was in Austin and fell in love. Put it through the paces today at Taborgrass and at a Don Julin clinic at Artichoke Music here in PDX and I'm even deeper in love.

16. Replies
    Views

Re: Once owned by

If the pro recorded with it or had videos playing it on stage, I would find that interesting. Like Pat said it shows a pro level player once considered it highly.

One of the guys in our jam...
  17. Replies
    Views

It tells me that XYZ thought it was worth owning in the first place or touring with for ten years. I'm not going to hold it against Doyle Lawson's former Passernig F5 that he decided to keep his...
  18. Replies
    Views

High Profile Pros are often given free instruments and may be bound to use them. Even if you loved your current mandolin, you may be inclined to sell if you knew you would receive a new one every few...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky KM-900 series mandolins???

Current KM-900/950 mandolins spec "German Spruce" and "Alpine Maple". That is a a recent change. I don't recall exactly when, but I had a phone conversation when them about the change. Maybe 6-8...
  20. Replies
    Views

John Reischman's Loar

I thought I'd share this here with you as this kind of thing doesn't really happen to us. On Sunday, my son (Tai) got to open for John Reischman and the Jaybirds on Vancouver Island. Before the...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Repair of chip in sunburst

Summary of Trial #2

Shows the initial gouge and then the final repair after fill and leveling. The color is a little different but it is hard to control that on the cell phone camera -- these...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Repair of chip in sunburst

Trial #2

This time a similar repair on the edge of a sunburst. The small piece of Sitka was sealed with shellac, stained in a sunburst with yellow, red and dark brown and then finished with 5...
  23. Replies
    Views

Nugget Mandolin #310

Hello everybody!

Last year I pulled the trigger and ordered a Nugget mandolin from Mike Kemnitzer. I played Joe K. Walsh's Nugget and loved the responsiveness and general feel of the instrument...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: overhauling an Asian import

Isn’t this similar to the mandovoodoo, that Stephen Perry does? He doesn’t take the top off or recut the tone bars, but he makes those Eastman and Kentuckys sing, at least that’s what the owners say!
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: When to buy?

It will probably be different for private party vs dealers. Any dealer that has been at it for multiple years will know the patterns and attempt to plan for them. That said, summer is the slow...
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4