Search:

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Jazz 5 Roberts/Tiny Moore Mandolin

My father passed away almost a year ago now. He was a very good fiddle player well he played many instruments actually and has years of history with some old musicians way back in the county music...
  2. Re: Is there an ideal Radius Setting for mandolins?

Yeah.....flat! :mandosmiley:
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Now HERE's a mandolinist's worst nightmare:

I may have told this story before here. A guy once came to our Scottish/Irish trad session at a local restaurant, with a banjo double bass. I think he made it himself. The shell was a bass drum a...
  4. Now HERE's a mandolinist's worst nightmare:

https://www.facebook.com/dusttodigital/videos/10154712276995821/?t=0 Hard to sleep after this one. I'll leave a light on.
    https://www.facebook.com/dusttodigital/videos/10154712276995821/?t=0
  5. Re: Is there an ideal Radius Setting for mandolins?

more at the nut, less at the bridge.

f-d
  6. Replies
    Views

Blues, Stomps, and Rags #7

Along with Yank Rachell ("Blues, Rags, & Stomps" #2 & 3), Howard Armstrong (1909-2003) was probably the most popular and influential of old blues-mandolin players, in part because both lived long...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Carl Kress

One of my favorite Carl Kress tunes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sLTwlTsc64
  8. Re: what was the last year Gibson made a Gibson,

I bought a 2008 RB-250 from guitar center for $1,600.00 with the case. Eric Sullivan said they were making all the necks for Gibson for some time & I forget what other parts they said they supplied...
  9. Re: what was the last year Gibson made a Gibson,

That's what a family owned business with obsessed management can do. Gibson hasn't been a family owned business since Orville signed over his patent back in '02 or so. You probably can't find many...
  10. Re: what was the last year Gibson made a Gibson,

I'm sure there are a whole lot of us that own Gibson mandolins.
  11. Re: what was the last year Gibson made a Gibson,

From rcc56 - " It is unlikely that Gibson will resume banjo production in the foreseeable future.". Maybe for the better. The last 2 new Gibson banjos i saw & played over here were dire !. However -...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Drone Mandolin Delivery?

Regulating the airspace with 100's if not 1,000's of drones zipping around would be a real problem. Would homes need a dedicated drone landing pad to keep them away from people when they deliver a...
  13. Replies
    Views

FedEx, USPS, UPS all have one very important thing in common, they can only crash in two (final delivery) dimensions, things falling from the sky into my front yard just seems like an awful waste...
  14. Replies
    Views

Sure, but your examples are using current infrastructure with no additional impact. In other words, it wouldn't matter if it was USPS delivering all the packages, or some mix of other outfits.
  15. Replies
    Views

The major barrier to this whole drone delivery thing is the noise. Just about every video shown extolling drones for one purpose or other has a nice music soundtrack, because nobody wants to show how...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: New Northfield Case Is A Winner!

Ivan,

Sorry if you haven’t gotten the answer you’re expecting. Rather than write everyone that sent emails I decided to post inside this thread to try and spread the information around. Here’s...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: A style mandolins

Some paddle head Gibson from the teens? Heck, you don't need no stinking truss rod!

Other than Bluegrass, these mandolins are quite a value and very well suited for all sorts of other stuff!
  18. Thread: Pava

by biologyprof
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pava

Hi Folks and thank you for the congratulations sent my way. Yes, I’m Greg D from Pennsylvania. I’m actually just a tad north of Pittsburgh. Although I don’t post much I’ve been a member here since...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I buy a new mandolin?

I think you would benefit from a higher quality mandolin. You likely will need to do the setup yourself on any of the ones that you mentioned, but you sound up to the task.
    Have you a copy of Rob...
  20. Thread: Grisman Thile

by Explorer
    Replies
    Views

Re: Grisman Thile

I don't have an answer for your specific question, but here's an interview of Chris Thile done for e Fretboard Journal by David Grisman. It gives a lot of interesting perspectives from both.
  21. Re: I Purchased Martin Mandolin 2-30 ; Could it be a Fake? HELP

Thanks everyone for your input. I contacted the seller, at first he insisted it was all original according to his now deceased grandmother... I responded among other points I told him how to find...
  22. Re: which vintage oval would you have ordered...

Oh come on guys, they are ALL cool!
  23. Re: which vintage oval would you have ordered...

Back in the day, Gibson had wide distribution plus their teacher connections. I believe that they also offered payment plans. Based on the number of Gibsons that are still around I would guess that...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: which vintage oval would you have ordered...

Lyon and Healy carved mandolins were much more consistent in tone and projection from instrument to instrument than Gibsons were. Good Gibson F-4's are hard to resist, though.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: New Northfield Case Is A Winner!

Hi everyone. Thought I’d join in on the discussion. Here are my thoughts:

Latch Design: they look like a new style for our industry, but they work much the same as other latches. Because they’re...
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4