Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Suggestions for a wedding march

Unst Bridal March from the Shetland Islands in Scotland. 'Da' just means 'the' in the local dialect.
    Also known as Unst Wedding March. Unst is the most Northerly island in Britain.

2. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

I wasn't intending to make a video to post here, however I made a video for my Facebook friends for St. Paddy's Day. It turned out well so I put it on Youtube, and so maybe I should post it here...
  3. Thread: Bowl back science

by Tavy
    Replies
    Views

Bowl back science

Interesting to see someone investigating the science of bowlbacks https://brill.com/view/journals/ijwc/2/1-3/article-p1_1.xml
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Place to Shop For Mandolins

Go to Sam Ash or Guitar Center and play what they have and you'll have a baseline of how a poorly set up cheap mandolin plays and sounds. Get to some festivals and jams and talk to people who have...
  5. An occasional lament: Calace and the lituo cantabile in recording

I have fine recordings of many of Calace's liuto cantabile works performed by Calace himself, Giudice, Orlandi, Kisseljow, etc. Still wanted are recordings of Calace's 13° Preludio, op.148 and 3°...
  6. Replies
    Views

Four Of A Kind - Reel & Jig

A friend put me on to this lovely bit of playing featuring bouzouki, harmonica & drum.
    kZn1IkE_61I

https://www.tijnberends.com/
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintange Mandolins in Ireland

As another Irish export my impression is that until the 1990's we were all kind of cobbling along as best we could & acquiring decent instruments normally involved travelling abroad with some very...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

I recently performed a live solo concert, and here are the two halves (there was a short interval in between).

Part 1:
    lg4YRZA8bII

Part 2:
    X_uSTVnDOq4
  9. Replies
    Views

NYC's Freiheit Mandolin Orchestra 1925

As we approach the centennial of this photo, I thought I'd post for archival purposes.
    One of the players was the late grandmother of a friend of mine.That's her at the right hand of the...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: 2 mandolin duet advice

This podcast episode came out after Baron Collins Hill and Noah Fishman put out a mandolin duet album and they talk about some of their thinking....
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: 2 mandolin duet advice

At the 2016 CMSA convention I gave a workshop on mandolin duets, after which I published a summary article, attached below, in the November 2016 issue of the CMSA's quarterly, The Mandolin Journal.
  12. Gifted another of my sons an instrument

I am at an age where I can’t play all the instruments I have collected. I have sold a number of them and given each of my three sons various Martins, Nationals and others. It gives me happiness. ...
  13. Replies
    Views

St. Basil's Hymn

A chilly-sounding tune for New Year's Day. This is traditionally sung in Greece by children on St. Basil's feast day, January first.

https://soundcloud.com/user-875085466/st-basils-hymn

More...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin: acoustic or electric

Our resident zombie post resurrector....
  15. Replies
    Views

Odd mandolin

Happy holidays, everyone. I noticed this very odd mandolin in a vintage photo for sale on ebay. The headstock looks like a Gibson; maybe the body is not original. Any thoughts?

Here's the whole...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Improving tone.

I think you need to spend at least some time every practice playing slower than 50% of normal speed. You don't just practice this way, but you do need to devote a decent percent of your practice to...
  17. Nice solo arrangement Sunny Side of the Street

https://youtu.be/EnLgww2w79c?si=1K9ZSMeVnoy9ymNE
  18. Re: How hard/wise is it to replace a fingerboard?

Keep the present mando as-is and buy another with binding. Good excuse to get another. LOL

In any case, if the current mando is a really good one and you get deep into the music, it'll wind up...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Etiquette for buying a mandolin on-line

If you are buying from a dealer, make sure you ask if they charge a restocking fee due to the behavior Jeff Mando outlined above. Some are substantial. You could be out a lot more than shipping both...
  20. Re: Are there already any pros playing the new 1923 reissue?

Strong opinions on both sides. Personally we're with Dan Beimborn of The Mandolin Archive. His thoughts are worth reading. KKR-era Gibsons, which are fine, are little more than copies themselves, and...
  21. Replies
    Views

Tesoro Mio ~ The Glo Worm Trio

Robin Rapuzzi's Glo Worms playing Tesoro Mio in Vaughan's Lounge, New Orleans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bTTkVaJFCQ
  22. 'The mandolin sisters' - Indian Carnatic mandolin

4HulRsObons

Came across this on mastodon and thought you might all enjoy. These are both 5 string electric mandolins, as are common in Indian music and made famous by U. Srinivas.
  23. Re: Newly acquired Pietro Ruffini - would appreciate advice/insig

That's one of the few makes I haven't had through here, so it's difficult to comment definitively, but I would say Ruffini's instruments were "fancy" rather than "quality", not necessarily junk mind...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning classical mandolin technique

I definitely recommend reviewing the method books posted to Michael's excellent MandoIsland site. Some references to the more popularly encountered methods that I compiled to an informational...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

A Brescian/Cremonese mandolin I completed this week:

https://i.imgur.com/GhrYFQf.jpg
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4