Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning to read Rhythm

+1 on the Starer book. I have a fun little app called the Rhythm Sight Reading Trainer by Rolfs Apps. It puts up an exercise in standard notation and you tap it out with your finger in time to a...
  2. Re: Looking for music for Crazy Man Michael

Looks just right.
    Go raibh mile maith agat.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Help - Monroe's Kentucky Mandolin

Wow! I really appreciate that. Yeah, it's quite different from what he's teaching. I'll try to work through these tabs this week. I usually work by ear, but this gives me a great foundation.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning songs by ear

I think one of the big problems is that if you get a note ‘correct ‘ then you advance in your studies by one point, if you get it wrong then you go back by maybe up to twenty points. That’s it....
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: "Daughters" by John Mayer

Gig was last night and "Daughters" went very well. The three motifs (guitar intro, short guitar break and short piano break) are very mandolin friendly.

For the bridge, I played the first chord...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Classically Trained, wanting to expand

As a former rock and 'round-the-campfire (more like 'round-the-6pack?) musician who's lately playing in a mandolin orchestra, I heartily agree. We're all amateurs, and about evenly split between the...
  7. Everything's Coming Up Roses...chord melody

Today is the 25th anniversary of Jule Styne's passing. Here's one of his songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq0s1sCB83s
  8. Thread: Tab of Fifths

by Simon DS
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tab of Fifths

Thanks mmuussiiccaall
    I adjusted the proportioning on your diagram to see the frets further up the neck (hope that’s ok).

To begin with, I like to make sense of the fretboard by looking for the 1...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Who doesn't memorize tunes/songs?

Here’s my favourite cheat sheet from Paul Hardy:
    http://pghardy.net/concertina/tunebooks/pgh_my_tunebooks_cheat.pdf

And even more of a change of subject, sorry, but this is kind of amusing. ...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Fingerboard Diagram

Here is a way I suggest for folks to learn the names of the notes on an instrument:

First, you need to learn all 12 note names in music.
    A A#/Bb B C C#/Db D D#/Eb E F F#/Gb...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Strumming pattern help

Well, maybe I have it wrong, but here is how I read it:

The first pattern is down/up four times. The second removes the last 'up' strum in the measure, the third removes the last two 'ups', and...