Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: The Year Folk Broke: How Nickel Creek Made Americana The New

Nice article. Great quote from Monroe at the end!
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: You Never Can Tell

That was great, Mark! Huge fun and very nice playing and singing. Thanks for posting it!
  3. Replies
    Views

Different ways of learning

I’m becoming increasingly impressed by how differently different people learn. There’s no one right way. I used to learn a lot from tab and books. Lately I’ve been learning exclusively by ear. To me,...
  4. Replies
    Views

Long Journey Home/Two Dollar Bill

This is about the best I've done yet on a bluegrass tune. I'd appreciate any feedback. I'm trying to play David Grisman's solos from Home is Where the Heart Is.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile's new pick

To me the coolest thing here is not the pick but how he holds it. He shows a lot of pick, yes. Also looks like it’s flopping around like crazy in a couple of those pictures. I know he says to hold it...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Non-Mandolin Content: New Romero Banjo

Wow! That is one stunning banjo. You are certainly worthy of it, no matter what kind of banjo player you are. Owning something like that will get you behind the instrument. Post a video sometime....
  7. Replies
    Views

I kept up with the Dawg today!

...in his opening solo of Long Journey Home with Doc Watson from the Home is Where the Heart is cd. That is, until the closing run of that solo, which I can only play at 3/4 speed. But I’ll take it! ...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Memorizing Chords and Progressions

How often do you play through the chord progression of a tune you know? It’s natural to skimp on that since the melody is what draws you to a fiddle tune. But I find that if I play the chord...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: gibson F9 vs kentucky

Sigh. I have to stop reading threads like this. I like my mandolin fine while I’m playing it. Then I read this, or visit the classifieds, and MAS sets in. Why do I do this to myself?!?!

Anyway,...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Something is missing!

Glad your set went so well! And of course you are far from alone. I sometimes take a mandolin or guitar on vacation, took one with me all the way to China right now as I'm here for a month working....
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Help me in Broadening my scope

I don’t know if this will help, but I have a neighbor who is a guitarist and a pastor. He writes sacred music that he plays in his services. Quite lovely stuff, based in his jazz background. We get...
  12. Re: Mando "performance anxiety" when playing with others?

I think it helps to know it’s a widely shared thing. Beyond that, I find that the more I do it the better it is; the more I’m familiar with the tune the better it is (i.e. at the jam, play a tune...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: another "flying with my mandolin" thread

Well, I made it to Beijing without an incident. Had the United policy printed out, but didn’t have to use it. When I gave my boarding pass to the gate attendant, she smiled at me and said “Music...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: another "flying with my mandolin" thread

Thanks to everyone, especially sblock. I have the United policy printed out. Next step is to see if I can upgrade my boarding status.
  15. Re: Working on tremelos. Good trick or am I cheating myself?

I had the same experience when I first started learning tremolo. But I never produced the tone and volume I wanted for single note picking with a rounded point. It wasn’t til I got it hammered into...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: What city's second

Isn’t Austin the home of both Collings and Ellis/Pava? If you mix a trip to Fiddler’s Green with tours of those two shops, that puts Austin pretty high on the list.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Right Hand Technique

One Sunday morning I woke up early and snuck down to the basement to practice. Had to play really quietly to keep from waking anyone up. At a certain point I realized I was playing with a very...
  18. Re: Learning to play Mandolin - A Beginners Happy Accident

Great story. Enjoy! There’s infinite fun in these little things.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin and Banjo duets

Those were great, Charley. Thanks!
  20. Re: F4 vs F5; or, how do you like your oval holes?

If that were the wall next to my desk I would never get anything done.
  21. Re: Amazing resource for Garcia/Dead enthusiasts

Speaking of which, has anyone tried to play Eyes of the World on mandolin? I've only ever tried the rootsy stuff, but just strikes me that Eyes might work nicely.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Monroe doesn't swing!

I recently had to try to take the swing out of Fisher’s Hornpipe. I think I was hearing its Irish background or something as I learned it, but then the people I was playing it with were all playing...
  23. Replies
    Views

Instrument upgrade / Gibson eras

Having just paid the final installment of my daughter's college tuition, I am about to hit the economic sweet spot between college bills in which I may be able to pull off an instrument upgrade. My...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Share your 2018 mandolin challenges.

This question hits the nail on the head for me. I pretty much stopped playing for about 6 months, because I joined Mike Marshall's mandolin school on Artistworks and he is incredibly good at...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: tuning of the Greek bouzouki?

Yep, she forced me. We walked by a music store and she saw my eye drift to the bouzoukis inside and she said "let's go look" and it went from there. She knows I'm a penny-pincher and she insisted...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4