Search:

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Oldest L-5! Lloyd Loar Signature!Analysis

This is a fantastic analysis of a recently discovered L-5 which turned out to be the oldest known example! It was signed on February 28th 1923 and was in remarkable shape- just a 1940s tailpiece and...
  2. Re: Figured Birch and Figured Maple how to tell them apart?

Those are some powerful mandolins you are building there Vernon...I just had a look around on your page and videos etc..Nice playing !
    and your from Timberville Va. no less.. i just passed thru...
  3. Re: Heiden's....the most expensive modern mandolin builder?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDWU2SR27g4
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Busted Gibson mandola peghead

Same here. I was tempted to buy it, but I’ve got enough repair work to do. I hope it works out good for you. Please post when you get it repaired.
  5. Replies
    Views

Ah, so you are the one that bought that. Good luck with the repair or re-neck. Keep us posted.
  6. Replies
    Views

I agree with rcc56. I have had some very nasty headstock repairs hold for, well they are still holding after many years to decades. If gluing doesn't work, reneck.
  7. Replies
    Views

I was back and forth about buying that when you pulled the trigger.

Looking at it again, these are my thoughts:

If you glue it up, it might hold for the long term, it might not. Because of the...
  8. Replies
    Views

My gut - glue and then backstrap overlay.
  9. Replies
    Views

My concern would be where the headstock meets the neck shaft. Weakest place to start with and not a lot of surface to glue.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I become a luthier?

Here's my advice:
    Start building as a hobby and expect to keep it that way while you continue to support your family with you established business, then wait and see what happens.

1. There is a...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage Flat back mandolin ID help

Keep in mind that even Sears sold instruments with no label now and then. The earliest Sears instruments I found had a penciled in catalog number inside. Harmony was also selling basically to anyone...
  12. Replies
    Views

It is almost certainly a Harmony made mandolin but it may not have been retailed as a Supertone by Sears, Roebuck but many were. I think yours is mahogany and it probably once had the "crown"...
  13. Replies
    Views

I am now of the opinion all these years later that the only way to identify these that is easy and seems to be consistent is by the shape of the pickguard. I think this model was made by Harmony...
  14. Replies
    Views

Although there are minor variations (including bound fretboard and fancier pickguard material), it looks pretty similar to the one discussed in this thread:
  15. Re: Kalamazoo Gibson A-12 PROJECT label says Master Model :disbel

Well, considering what goes on with Shop Goodwill mandolins, anything is possible.
  16. Original Orville Gibson mandolin video.

I thought you all might enjoy this video we made about a really cool piece of Gibson history featuring a mandolin built and signed by Orville Gibson himself! We've got it hanging in our shop on loan...
  17. Replies
    Views

Sierra and Justin Soundcheck this afternoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RymKTHUyU-4
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

A few more.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

The Griffith tribute is finally strung up.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Scratch on satin finish fix?

That is NOT a scratch, IMO. NO WAY. You just cannot get buckle that close to the inside corner between the plate and the "side buttons" unless it is sharp as scalpel.
    I'd bet that what we are...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: “1915” snakehead on eBay

No chance of that happening :whistling:
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Cost for refret

I really need to raise my prices lol.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: F5 Neck removal

Another method of neck removal that seems to work for people from time to time:
    Leave the mandolin in a hot car in the summertime with strings up to full tension! :crying:
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Dave Smith-Smith Creek Mandolins

DAVE. You can give STEVE SMITH a call at CUMBLERLAND AC.877-8574896 IF HE CAN'T HELP YOU HE MAY KNOW SOMEONE you can call. HE'S got the equip.
  25. Replies
    Views

"The Tree"

Presumably everybody who builds instruments knows about "The Tree." This is a rather good article on the subject: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/the-legend-of-the-music-tree-180979792/
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4